What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Offseason Rumours and Updates

zombie jesus

Staff member
Releases are happening before bonuses and stuff start to kick in.

Nate Allen, Justin Durant, Riley Cooper, David Hawthorne, Jahri Evans, William Moore among others looking for new homes.

shiznit

Coach
Nate Allen is just the worst
To be fair he wasn't that bad this season.... But he wasn't in the field enough to justify the money we were paying him.

We have an outrageously terrible secondary.... Especially now that Woodson has retired.

We are going to have to spend some serious coin and draft picks on the secondary.

kurt faulk

Coach
To be fair he wasn't that bad this season.... But he wasn't in the field enough to justify the money we were paying him.

We have an outrageously terrible secondary.... Especially now that Woodson has retired.

We are going to have to spend some serious coin and draft picks on the secondary.

Stay away from jj and Tru.

shiznit

Coach
Josh Norman would be nice.... We have over 70M in cap space so we can certainly offer good money...

But surely the Panthers will tag him.

nick87

Coach
Unless you're playing a zone system, you dont want Josh Norman
he gets burnt in man coverage

Panthers wont let him go though, they've got plenty of cap room to keep him

shiznit

Coach
We are a little bit in transition on that side of the ball as Ken Norton Jr and JDR play kind of a hybrid 4-3.

But we do play a lot of zone coverage on the back end.

If we can get Mack, Mario Edwards & Aldon Smith all causing headaches upfront it will make things easier for our secondary whether we are playing zone or man.

legend

Coach
Malik Jackson might be headed to Oakland if the Broncos can't work out a deal. Man is going to get paid one way or another. Hard to keep them all unfortunately.

Danny Trevathan to Chicago has some legs as well.

I love FA. The surprise cuts always provide a good story.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Jerod Mayo Retires after 8 Seasons, an Absolute Shame injuries slowed him down over the last 3 Seasons, Beast at ILB and a true leader on and off the field.

shiznit

Coach
Malik Jackson might be headed to Oakland if the Broncos can't work out a deal. Man is going to get paid one way or another. Hard to keep them all unfortunately.

Danny Trevathan to Chicago has some legs as well.

I love FA. The surprise cuts always provide a good story.
Malik Jackson would be a nice young piece who would fit in real well with our young core... But TBH I can't think of us spending big money on a DE... Considering we already have Mack who we will be upgrading this offseason & Aldon Smith who will be coming in midway through next season and will probably get upgraded also...

I think we probably need a more mid level DE... Travathan would be more likely to get a massive deal from us....

shiznit

Coach
Nate Allen is just the worst
Just a little bit further on Nate Allen... We released him and then we resigned him on a more team friendly deal.

He basically took a 2M dollar paycut in guaranteed money but can earn 3M in incentives.

Considering that his biggest issue was staying on the field.... It ends up a better deal for us.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Malik Jackson would be a nice young piece who would fit in real well with our young core... But TBH I can't think of us spending big money on a DE... Considering we already have Mack who we will be upgrading this offseason & Aldon Smith who will be coming in midway through next season and will probably get upgraded also...

I think we probably need a more mid level DE... Travathan would be more likely to get a massive deal from us....

He's great and all but I don't get upgrading Mack. He's got 2 years left, throw in the 5th year option and he's not sniffing FA until 2019.

shiznit

Coach
He's great and all but I don't get upgrading Mack. He's got 2 years left, throw in the 5th year option and he's not sniffing FA until 2019.
I wondered the same thing... But as it was explained to me...

We have an unbalanced squad contractually... We have 70M plus in cap space but we are too far away from contending...

So we will end up using our cap space way overpaying for average players until Mack and Carr are due for there massive upgrades.

So it's better to use it to extend Khalil Mack and Derek Carr's deals and frontload them heavily while we have the cap space... That way in a year or so when we are genuinely ready to contend for a Super Bowl we will have the cap freedom and balance to keep our window of contention open as long as possible.

zombie jesus

Staff member
I wondered the same thing... But as it was explained to me...

We have an unbalanced squad contractually... We have 70M plus in cap space but we are too far away from contending...

So we will end up using our cap space way overpaying for average players until Mack and Carr are due for there massive upgrades.

So it's better to use it to extend Khalil Mack and Derek Carr's deals and frontload them heavily while we have the cap space... That way in a year or so when we are genuinely ready to contend for a Super Bowl we will have the cap freedom and balance to keep our window of contention open as long as possible.

I'd be doing all I can to re-sign who I want, then spend up in FA to get some quality starters, and then depth behind them so the 53 is as strong as it can be while you can afford it.

Sometimes you get it right in the draft and you have a small window to load up and take advantage of the cap space you've got. It won't be long before they're paying a third of their cap to Carr/Cooper/Mack and then they'll be hamstrung like the rest of the teams with franchise quality players.

shiznit

Coach
I'd be doing all I can to re-sign who I want, then spend up in FA to get some quality starters, and then depth behind them so the 53 is as strong as it can be while you can afford it.

Sometimes you get it right in the draft and you have a small window to load up and take advantage of the cap space you've got. It won't be long before they're paying a third of their cap to Carr/Cooper/Mack and then they'll be hamstrung like the rest of the teams with franchise quality players.
Yeah that's certainly what I originally thought... But through a combination of poor performance and uncertainty in ownership none of the good FA's will consider coming to the Raiders at the moment.

So we may as well move that cap space back a couple of years until we can actually attract FA's.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Pretty much, Front Load the Contracts of your big Stars, and draft like you have been, team will be a contender in 2018 season when the Broncos team is basically gone.

Latest posts