What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Offseason Rumours and Updates

abpanther

Staff member
I too think Byrd isn't worth the money

I do hope the 49ers can re-sign Donte Whitner, he was much better in coverage last year when he didn't have to make up for Dashon Goldson's f**k ups

nick87

Coach
Pfft, another fluff story, Anne Killion blowing up smoke from an 'inside source'

It's probably from LaMichael James, hope we trade that guy, been bloody useless

There may be a power struggle between Harbaugh and Baalke but the players have never had an issue with Harbaugh, why would they while they keep winning

There is an AWFUL lot of smoke, Ab.
Nothing to worry about now sure, but if they havent got a long term deal done in 6 months time, this story is going to get much, much bigger.

Tom155

Coach
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter4h
Dolphins gave Pro-Bowl CB Brent Grimes a four-year, $32 million deal that includes $16 million guaranteed, per ESPN source.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter1h
Redskins announced they have placed the franchise tag on linebacker Brian Orakpo.

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter56m
49ers, Anquan Boldin agree to a 2-year, $12 million deal w/ $9 million guaranteed. (via @Edwerderespn)

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter10m
Browns are placing the transition tag on center Alex Mack, which will give Cleveland chance to match any offer sheet he would sign.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter5m
By using transition tag instead of franchise tag on C Alex Mack, tag drops almost $1 million from over $11 million to about $10.3 million.

nick87

Coach
That's a lot of money for Brent Grimes, given his age and the fact he's always been undersized.
I think it's a good deal this year, maybe even next... pending on how the gtd money is structured, it could be a problem in 3-4 years time

nick87

Coach
Orakpo tagged by reportably wont sign it any time soon. Maybe a little trouble there to keep an eye on.

Bills and Browns letting their Safeties Byrd and Ward hit F/A... Eagles can surely nab one of them!

abpanther

Staff member

You serious?

Say what you want about the guy and I'm sure we all agree that he has plenty of development left to do, but the facts are that he has more playoff wins than Romo or Cutler, he has the most road playoff wins in 49ers history, he's already one of the most marketable young players in the league and he has one of the best physical skillsets of any QB in the league

Why wouldn't he shoot for over 18m annually?

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Cam will be demanding similar money and I hope panthers pay it.

realistically with the cap rising the lions share will be going to QB's as per normal. by 2017(if it does go up to 150-160million) then an average of 18 million per season isn't so bad.

abpanther

Staff member
Flacco's contract is something like $18M annually, but in actuality he's getting like $11M the first year, then $14M for 2014 and 2015 and then it gets ridiculous on the backend.. I expect Kap to sign a similar contract.

Kap's first year could be like $10M, then $12M the next then maybe $14M or $15M for a year or so, then get ridiculous for $25M and up and up.. the reason why clubs do this is re-negotiate in year 4/5 of the contract, and the agents like it because it makes the deal look bigger than it is. Kap will never be a $18M cap hit, not this year and certainly not in the near future.

dogslife

Coach
You serious?

Say what you want about the guy and I'm sure we all agree that he has plenty of development left to do, but the facts are that he has more playoff wins than Romo or Cutler, he has the most road playoff wins in 49ers history, he's already one of the most marketable young players in the league and he has one of the best physical skillsets of any QB in the league

Why wouldn't he shoot for over 18m annually?

If we're being honest, Kaepernick has been riding the success of his defense. You fork over that much coin for a qb and you start losing the pieces around him

abpanther

Staff member
If we're being honest, Kaepernick has been riding the success of his defense. You fork over that much coin for a qb and you start losing the pieces around him

That's a stretch dude, yes he has a great team around him but to say he hasn't won games for them at times is wrong.

Yes forking over that much coin means you may lose pieces, but the point here is that he has every right to be asking for that much money given what he has achieved and his potential going forward

nick87

Coach
Sneaky under-rated aspect of Kaepernick is that he'd have two rings if he could stop throwing ducks on game winning drives.

If Romo or Manning had of thrown those balls that ended their season in the past 2 years, we'd be laughing at the epic choking going on.

Kaepernick is good, but im not sure he's good enough to get top 7 QB deal.

dogslife

Coach
I don't know, I just think he's an average qb on a great team, and its silly to throw a massive payday his way because other teams did with their qbs.

nick87

Coach
i think working in the Niners favour is Harbough.
He got to the NFCCG with Alex Smith, and has now got back there twice since with a 2nd round QB.
Kaepernick probably knows he's on a good thing and should take the Tom Brady style deal. He'll get paid plenty on top with endorsements, so taking less to allow the Niners to continue to have a gun team around him is the smart play imo