What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Offseason Rumours and Updates

nick87

Coach
Eagles signed Jason Peters to a 5 year 40mil deal
20 mil gtd... lowers his cap number, solidifies the line and from what ive read, come year 3 of his deal, the gtd money is going to be managable if we have to cut him.

I dont think there is a single team who handles the salary cap as well as the eagles tbh. We've got a bit of money here... Roseman keeps saying they arent going for blue chips, having been burnt by the dream team, but he's saying it so often now that im wondering if he's not readying himself for a crack at Byrd/Ward if they make it to the market

nick87

Coach
Eagles close to re-signing Maclin, Cooper and Kelce.
I am itching to see what Maclin, Jackson and Cooper can do together in this system.

Eagles should have close to 24 million to spend in F/A too

Maybe it's blind optimism, but if the eagles can parlay that F/A money and the draft into a quality CB, S and pass rushing OLB and some better DL depth, they can contend for the SB.

macavity

Referee
Eagles signed Jason Peters to a 5 year 40mil deal
20 mil gtd... lowers his cap number, solidifies the line and from what ive read, come year 3 of his deal, the gtd money is going to be managable if we have to cut him.

I dont think there is a single team who handles the salary cap as well as the eagles tbh. We've got a bit of money here... Roseman keeps saying they arent going for blue chips, having been burnt by the dream team, but he's saying it so often now that im wondering if he's not readying himself for a crack at Byrd/Ward if they make it to the market

Seattle, Niners, even my packers (bar injuries and blowing money on Burnett).... Handle it better.

nick87

Coach
Seattle, Niners, even my packers (bar injuries and blowing money on Burnett).... Handle it better.

The Packers i can agree with in a long term sense, Ted Thompson has proven he can work the cap as well as anyone over his years, the Pack do it really well...

but Seattle and Niners? The only reason they are in such strong positions is because they havent had to pay a lot of their difference makers yet. cades, through the McNabb - Reid era and now Howie 15 years later

If in 3 years time, once Seattle and the Niners have had to pay Wilson, Sherman, Thomas, Wagner, Kaepernick, Iupati, Crabtree etc and they are still routinely competing for championship titles, then ill happily include them in the list of teams that work the salary cap exceptionally well.

nick87

Coach
Eagles should create the dream team again IMO.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Eagles go after one blue chip FA, like Byrd or Ward if they make it to the market but i dont think you will see the eagles attempt to buy a super bowl like they did then again anytime soon, definitely not under Roseman.

Based on what im reading, what we'll likely do is avoid guys like Byrd and Ward, and focus on drafting well, and building a deep team with solid mid range signings. Similar to the way we did last year, with Barwin, Williams, Fletch and Casey.

legend

Coach
I wouldnt be surprised if the Eagles go after one blue chip FA, like Byrd or Ward if they make it to the market but i dont think you will see the eagles attempt to buy a super bowl like they did then again anytime soon, definitely not under Roseman.

Based on what im reading, what we'll likely do is avoid guys like Byrd and Ward, and focus on drafting well, and building a deep team with solid mid range signings. Similar to the way we did last year, with Barwin, Williams, Fletch and Casey.

The Bills franchised Byrd from memory.

Cooper re-signed for five years, $25 million.

nick87

Coach
Cooper 5 years/25 mil with 8 gtd.
4 mil signing bonus apparently, so it's basically a 2 year deal that we can get out of really easily if we want or need to.

Kelce gets 6 years/35 mil with 13 gtd, which sounds like big money but isnt really. The guy is still only 26 and is already one of the best centers in the NFL.

2 really good deals for the eagles. Maclin apparently close to penning a one year "prove it" deal with the Eagles too. :D

The Bills franchised Byrd from memory.

Cooper re-signed for five years, $25 million.

Byrd hasn't been franchised yet, but there is talk they may tag him agai. I dont think that is a smart move. You pay top 5 money for a franchise tag (or is it top 10) but since he was playing on it last year, they'd now have now pay him another 25% on top of that, and get an increasingly frustrated football player. If they are happy to do that, fine but there is other concerns

If they cant work out a long term deal, i think they are best to let him walk and chase a replacement. I dont see anyway in which Byrd plays another year under the tag and they keep him long term, i think tagging him a second year straight would kill any good will he has left for that team.
Guys don't like playing under the tag, there is no money or job security for them. They get hurt playing under the tag and they lose A LOT of money. Byrd was pissed playing under it last year, he wont like doing it 2 years in a row.

Last edited:

legend

Coach
They'll trade him or at least try to before they let him walk. Denver would go hard for a safety like Byrd considering the state of our secondary.

nick87

Coach
They'll have the same problem they have this year with a trade market... why would an NFL team pay what they'd rightly want back for him, when he's on a franchise tag and a free agent in the off season

The Bills could franchise him again and trade him but the only way a team does that trade is if the guy is willing to immediately put pen to paper on long term deal, almost like an NBA sign and trade. The Bills will want fair compensation back but no ones giving up anything to get a guy who could walk in the follow FA.

So Byrd essentially has to agree to where he is being traded to, and that teams got to want him bad enough to give up considerable compesation and big money long term deal.
I cant see that happening, the compesation back will be a huge sticking point

For me there are 3 options:

1. Bills sign him long term
2. Bills let him walk
3. Bills tag him again, attempt to work out long term deal and if they cant trade him before the deadline for what ever the f**k they can get for him, which might only be 60-70c in the dollar.

TBH, i think if the Bills dont sign him long term before FA starts, they should cut their loses. Another year of Byrd Frachise tag drama is not going to help them keep him long term, at some point he's either got to get paid and stay, or the Bills have to let him hit FA.

macavity

Referee
The Packers i can agree with in a long term sense, Ted Thompson has proven he can work the cap as well as anyone over his years, the Pack do it really well...

but Seattle and Niners? The only reason they are in such strong positions is because they havent had to pay a lot of their difference makers yet. cades, through the McNabb - Reid era and now Howie 15 years later

If in 3 years time, once Seattle and the Niners have had to pay Wilson, Sherman, Thomas, Wagner, Kaepernick, Iupati, Crabtree etc and they are still routinely competing for championship titles, then ill happily include them in the list of teams that work the salary cap exceptionally well.

Not many teams can compete for SBs year in year out. You have to take advantage of windows. Seattle and SF are doing just that and have built nicely in the past 4-5 years to have long windows without that one superstar.

Tom155

Coach
Eye on Football ‏@EyeOnNFL 2m
Seahawks have released Red Bryant and Sidney Rice.

Eye on Football ‏@EyeOnNFL 2m
Jets announce franchise tag placed on K Nick Folk.

nick87

Coach
Foles, McCoy, Djax, Cooper, Maclin, Ertz and Celek.
That's a pretty awesome offense right there, if the eagles can be at least middle of the road on defense, we are a play off team again... if we can find away to get ourselves into top 10 defense, we could be challenging for a deep play off run

Latest posts