What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Offseason Rumours and Updates

Big Mick

Referee
I dont think Greg Roman is a good hire. But i do think Rex is a good hire.
Rex really needs a Kubiak, Turner style guy, a top shelf offensive guy, with HC experience who he could say "that offence, it's yours. You do what you do. I'll be helping but for the most part, that's all you"

Why can't Roman be that?

They share the same vision of being a run-first orientated team and that is what the Bills strength will be. They have big O-Linemen with 3-4 quality backs.

They have a great defense.

That formula worked pretty well in San Fran.

Turner/Kubiak are not on the market so couldn't get them anyway. Who else is out there that is available? I don't want Shanahan anywhere near it. I didn't want Trestman.

Roman was the best possible hire that he could have made.

Now will it work? Who knows...we wont know until next season but man....I'd rather Roman than the shit we've had in the past. A cardboard cut-out of Jim Kelly on the sideline would have been better than Hackett last year.

nick87

Coach
Why can't Roman be that?

They share the same vision of being a run-first orientated team and that is what the Bills strength will be. They have big O-Linemen with 3-4 quality backs.

They have a great defense.

That formula worked pretty well in San Fran.

Turner/Kubiak are not on the market so couldn't get them anyway. Who else is out there that is available? I don't want Shanahan anywhere near it. I didn't want Trestman.

Roman was the best possible hire that he could have made.

Now will it work? Who knows...we wont know until next season but man....I'd rather Roman than the shit we've had in the past. A cardboard cut-out of Jim Kelly on the sideline would have been better than Hackett last year.

He could be. And he could not be. I think it's 50/50. I have not been impressed at all with his work in SF.
But i don't think he's the slam dunk like those other guys, but i do take your point about those guys not being available.

Rex will need to find a QB. I honestly think he should put half his D on IR, get Blaine Gabbert in for next year and flat out go for that #1 pick and get a real QB in there.

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Roman was effective earlier in his stint, where his formation shifts and creative power running game created huge running lanes and he really emphasised the 2 and 3 TE sets.

The issue is the division caught up with Roman and he never adapted, even Joe Staley was quoted as saying that the formation shifts were no longer effective, hell the Rams even knew what plays were coming but he never changed things up.

Also worth pointing out that during his entire tenure with the 49ers, he called the running plays, he rarely called passing plays. One of our biggest issues with the offense was the primitive passing concepts, even guys like Cosell stated that it was almost high school offense in terms of passing. Roman doesn't have a huge amount of experience as a playcaller and I truly question his ability to develop pro style passing plays, now yes many will say the fault lies with Kap and his inability to read the field, however there is no doubt that some of this holds true.

Then there were other issues like us always taking forever to get the plays to the huddle, anyone who watched us play noticed that we were stuggling to get the play off on almost every single play.

In terms of the offensive line, Boone was a pretty talented kid when we signed him as a UDFA, his issues were off the field, he regressed early this season but finished very strongly.

I am very curious to see how he goes, in all honesty I think he could really get your running game going, but I would have concerns about his ability to call passing plays

nick87

Coach
The John Fox thing is strange. I mean he's an Empty Suit All Star but they lost because Manning couldnt throw it 10 yards, not because of bad coaching

shiznit

Coach
OHHHH FFS!!!

Of the 3 coaches at Denver Adam Gase is the guy id like... But I bet you we end up with both Fox and Del Rio instead...

abpanther

Staff member
Reports that 49ers are meeting with Gase today and pushing to finalise a deal

I don't get the love for Gase and I would be very underwhelmed with that hire

shiznit

Coach
Reports that 49ers are meeting with Gase today and pushing to finalise a deal

I don't get the love for Gase and I would be very underwhelmed with that hire
He's young... innovative offensive mind who players seem to love to play for... Well that's what the word is.

I'd like at the Raiders because I think he would be great for Carr...

abpanther

Staff member
He's young... innovative offensive mind who players seem to love to play for... Well that's what the word is.

I'd like at the Raiders because I think he would be great for Carr...

The guy has never been a HC at any level, not even college. His first OC stint ever was with Denver coaching Peyton Manning, pretty hard to evaluate that.

Interested to get Tom's perspective

nick87

Coach
Yeah im with you, Ab. Not sure on what the Gase love is about. I mean, doesnt Manning run his own offense? I dont think there is anything on his resume which would knock me over.

He must interview well... I wouldnt be happy about that hire

abpanther

Staff member
Reports are that he's an innovative offensive mind, spent time under Martz and Saban and was involved with teams that won National Championships and Superbowls.

Still if the Broncos are happy to let him walk surely that says something

Big Mick

Referee
I'm just excited for change.

I've been miserable for years as a Bills fan and now we finally have a couple of coaches that have some experience and are not shit pricks from terrible college programs.

shiznit

Coach
The guy has never been a HC at any level, not even college. His first OC stint ever was with Denver coaching Peyton Manning, pretty hard to evaluate that.

Interested to get Tom's perspective
A HC??

Hell no... I was talking about as an OC...

I'd like to see him away from Denver and Manning before I'd consider him for a HC position.

But as a OC he would be great for Carr... Apparently the offense he runs is very fluid which allows the QB maximum flexibility at the line to make whatever checks they feel is necessary.

Which is great when you got Manning... I think he would help develop Derek Carr.

shiznit

Coach
He's being pursued as a HC
Ohhh hell no...

Yeah I agree with you 100%... Doesn't have anywhere near the experience to be a HC... Like I said... I'd like to see him away from Manning for a couple of seasons before giving him the full reigns.

Latest posts