What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Offseason Rumours and Updates

DC_fan

Coach
Josh Gordon failed another drug test suspended at least a year per schefter's Twitter

Josh Gordon tests positive for alcohol, faces one-year ban

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 25, 2015, 4:08 PM EST
d622c534c40f8ca07b16fc7517047068.jpeg
Getty Images
Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon faces yet another NFL suspension.
PFT?s Mike Florio has confirmed Gordon is in line for a one-year ban for a violation of the NFL?s substance-abuse policy.

A source tells Florio that Gordon tested positive for alcohol. Moreover, a source tells Florio that Gordon?s suspension looks to be a ?done deal,? with a reversal of the ban not expected. As Florio notes, Gordon is subject to alcohol testing because of his July 2014 DWI arrest.

ESPN?s Adam Schefter first reported Gordon was set to draw a one-year ban from the league.

If Gordon?s suspension sticks, it?s a major setback for a wonderfully talented player who has already lost 13 games to league- and team-levied suspensions in his NFL career.

Furthermore, the news of Gordon?s potential ban throws his future with the Browns into doubt. At season?s end, coach Mike Pettine said the receiver was ?squarely at a crossroads with us.?

The 23-year-old Gordon was suspended for the first 10 games of the 2014 regular season for violating the NFL?s substance-abuse policy. After returning to the lineup, he did not recapture his best form, catching just 24 passes for 303 yards in five games. Making matters worse, Gordon was suspended for the Browns? season finale at Baltimore for a violation of team rules.

Fifty-two Sundays ago, Gordon was playing the Pro Bowl, the coda to a spectacular second NFL season, one that saw him catch 87 passes for 1,646 yards and nine touchdowns in just 14 games.

One year later, it?s fair to wonder whether Gordon?s Cleveland career will soon be over. What?s more, his NFL future is in some question, as he will have to gain reinstatement if banished by the league.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ests-positive-for-alcohol-faces-one-year-ban/

shiznit

Coach
Just heard an interesting interview with Julius Thomas on a Bay Area radio station....

He was teased a fair bit about joining the Raiders... He was obviously diplomatic... But he definitely liked the idea of playing for the Raiders as he grew up a huge Raiders fan and he has about 30 family members who attend every Raiders home game...

I wasn't all that keen on him as Rivera has been good... But he would be a handy guy for Carr... Especially if they can get Amari Cooper as well...

legend

Coach
Wade Phillips to be Denver' new D co-ordinator. I really like the look of the Broncos coaching staff for next season. All the main guys have strong ties to the team throughout the years and hopefully it brings a little more passion to the guys on the field.

Tom155

Coach
Disappointed the Bengals wouldn't let Joseph out of his contract, but Phillips is a good hire until Joseph's contract expires next year I think or they may end up just sticking with Wade.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
I very much doubt Jeremey Maclin leaves Philly. They'll franchise him if they have too but i doubt they'll have too
Just watching ESPN Insiders... Apparently the Eagles will struggle cap wise keeping both Maclin & Shady as it will cost them 12M to franchise Maclin and Shady is due 11.9M this year.

legend

Coach
Not many coaches and e co-ordinators seem to last more than three years, dependent upon results obviously. Unless you are a Belichick, Carroll, Tomlin etc, you'd better know your removalist on a first name basis...

nick87

Coach
Just watching ESPN Insiders... Apparently the Eagles will struggle cap wise keeping both Maclin & Shady as it will cost them 12M to franchise Maclin and Shady is due 11.9M this year.

We're slated to have 20 mil cap space right now, which is PLENTY enough for Maclin to sign a 9-10mil deal and keep shady under his current deal, plus we have 5-6 contracts that will either be cut or restrutured.

Shady has already said he'll be restructuring because he knows he isnt playing for 11 mil. That's going to come down.
Trent Cole is owed 11mil and wont be back under that deal, that will come down
James Casey is getting 4mil and i doubt he is around in 2015.
Herrmans is owed 5 and will have to restructure if he wants to keep playing for us
Cary Williams is owed 8mil and he wont be back unless he brings that number down

Cap money is one thing you never have to worry about with the Eagles. Howie isnt super great at alot of things. But he learn from Joe Banner about salary cap and he's a wizard with that. I am legitimately not even remotely concerned about Maclin leaving.

shiznit

Coach
We're slated to have 20 mil cap space right now, which is PLENTY enough for Maclin to sign a 9-10mil deal and keep shady under his current deal, plus we have 5-6 contracts that will either be cut or restrutured.

Shady has already said he'll be restructuring because he knows he isnt playing for 11 mil. That's going to come down.
Trent Cole is owed 11mil and wont be back under that deal, that will come down
James Casey is getting 4mil and i doubt he is around in 2015.
Herrmans is owed 5 and will have to restructure if he wants to keep playing for us
Cary Williams is owed 8mil and he wont be back unless he brings that number down

Cap money is one thing you never have to worry about with the Eagles. Howie isnt super great at alot of things. But he learn from Joe Banner about salary cap and he's a wizard with that. I am legitimately not even remotely concerned about Maclin leaving.
The reason I even noticed was that it came up in conversation on a Bay Area radio station show I listen to...

Adam Caplan was saying that the Eagles are in the FA market for a big upgrade at safety, corner & linebacker that if Shady doesn't renegotiate... They will struggle to do that and franchise Maclin.

He also said so,e very interesting things Raiders wise... He thinks Bill Musgrave is going to play the shotgun spread offence with a power running game and lots of no huddle... Which apparently is what Derek Carr used to play at Fresno...

We need good WR's though... Which is why Maclin is on the radar... Julius Thomas is another and obviously Amari Cooper in the draft is another...

nick87

Coach
Yeah, he'd be a great get for the Raiders and would tremendously help Carr, but i think the chances of him leaving are next to zero. This is a Dez Bryant for us, franchise or re-signing, he's going to be here in 2015-16. Bank it. Half the reason Chip was comfortable releasing DeSean Jackson is because he felt Maclin was such a good fit to be our #1WR

shiznit

Coach
Yeah, he'd be a great get for the Raiders and would tremendously help Carr, but i think the chances of him leaving are next to zero. This is a Dez Bryant for us, franchise or re-signing, he's going to be here in 2015-16. Bank it. Half the reason Chip was comfortable releasing DeSean Jackson is because he felt Maclin was such a good fit to be our #1WR
Well that's what I thought... And to be honest I don't see why the Eagles can't address there secondary issues primarily through the draft.

If anything i kinda reckon the Eagles would trade Shady away before letting Maclin walk...

nick87

Coach
If anything i kinda reckon the Eagles would trade Shady away before letting Maclin walk...

Absolutely they will. If Shady doesnt restructure he's getting cut or traded, it's that simple. No one in their right mind is paying nearly 12M for a running back in 2015. No matter how talented he is.

Also i think Chip gets a little bit frustrated at him constantly taking 2-3 yard loses trying to break the big 20-30 yarder every time. This offense is very relient on staying ahead of the down and distance, and we had a lot of 2nd and 11, 2nd and 12's this year. 100 yards on 25 carries doesnt help us if 65 of them come on 4 plays and we have 21 plays going for 35 yards

I have no doubt chip would be very comfortable plugging a north-south runner in this system and knowing he can get 1300 yards from him.

nick87

Coach
Scheme matchup wise the non divisional opponents of Philadelphia are a huge concern for the upcoming season

Im not that worried.
Im still seeing 10-11 wins on that schedule.

4-2 in the division (spliting with the Giants and Cowboys)
wins against ARI or BUF (i think we drop one of those games), MIA, NO and TB at home
wins against ATL, CAR and NYJ on the road

Last edited: