What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nhl

Monk

Referee
The Carolina Hurricanes traded forward Erik Cole to the Edmonton Oilers for defenseman Joni Pitkanen on Tuesday

The deal was one of a series of moves Carolina made on the first day of the NHL's free agency period. The Hurricanes picked up a young, offensive-minded defenseman they've long coveted in exchange for their top-line right wing, the third-leading goal-scorer in franchise history.

source: http://sportsline.com/nhl/story/10883485

not sure if this ill pay off... it might... might not...
good job by the oilers though

Sood

Juniors
Im pretty happy with what the oil has done so far.

Traded Stoll, Torres, Greene & Pitkanen for Cole, Brule, Visnovsky.
Good stuff.

Red Wings did well 2. Brad Stuart got signed cheap.

Sood

Juniors
Holy ****
So i really wanted him to go to edmonton. But this is even sweeter...

HOSSA TO THE WINGS. 1 YEAR 7.4 MILL!!

We need to re sign Zetterberg for next year so 1 year is perrrrrrrrrfect!! Then he can win his cup and go to the oilers for the $$$ :lol:

WE GONNA BE UNSTOPPABLE!!!! lol
But seriously, i bet those pens fans are pissssssssssed!!

Im ecstatic.

Monk

Referee
'Bush league' or 'tenacious,' Avery signs on with Stars

DALLAS -- The Dallas Stars know all about Sean Avery -- his history of mouthing off to teammates as well as foes, that he's a two-time NHL leader in penalty minutes whose agitating tricks included a "bush league" stunt in the playoffs that the league quickly banned.

Dallas signed the pesky forward to a $15.5 million, four-year deal Wednesday, a commitment that also pushes the Stars close enough to the salary cap that they probably won't chase more high-profile free agents.

source: http://sportsline.com/nhl/story/10884797

:roll: should i be happy or said :?
man, im ok with it, not a big avery fan... my worry is who will he replace?

the stars could have done better imo.

Monk

Referee
stars ins-outs-keeps so far

RE-SIGNED:
Nicklas Grossman
B.J. Crombeen
Dan Jancevski
Loui Eriksson
Toby Petersen
Trevor Daley
Steve Ott

INS:
Sean Avery
Fabian Brunnstrom

OUTS:
Niklas Hagman
Janos Vas
Mattias Norstrom
Marty Sertich

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Holy ****
So i really wanted him to go to edmonton. But this is even sweeter...

HOSSA TO THE WINGS. 1 YEAR 7.4 MILL!!

We need to re sign Zetterberg for next year so 1 year is perrrrrrrrrfect!! Then he can win his cup and go to the oilers for the $$$ :lol:

WE GONNA BE UNSTOPPABLE!!!! lol
But seriously, i bet those pens fans are pissssssssssed!!

Im ecstatic.
Woot! The more the better, hehe! Shouldn't have too many issues deliverly another one ;)

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
taken from nhl.com

Strange but true, Hossa's in Hockeytown
Mike G. Morreale | NHL.com Staff Writer
Jul 2, 2008, 5:00 PM EDT

Marian Hossa has decided to sign a one-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings.
video_orange.gif
Watch Marian Hossa highlights
After winning the Stanley Cup for the 11th time in their illustrious history in June, the Detroit Red Wings reeled in the biggest prize of the offseason Wednesday when General Manager Ken Holland announced the signing of unrestricted free agent right wing Marian Hossa to a one-year contract.

Incredible as it may sound, the rich just got richer.

"I talked to Marian's agent (Ritch Winter) on Tuesday and expressed that we had an interest and made a long-term offer that we thought would fit into our cap with the team moving forward," Holland said. "Early this morning, (Winter) called while I was at a gas station and asked what my thoughts were on a one-year deal. I was initially shocked, but obviously wanted to find a way to have Marian on our team. He likes our defense and its ability to move the puck. Given that we had the cap space for a one-year deal, we began figuring out a way to make it happen."

If there was one player available who could actually make Detroit's talent-laden lineup doubly potent, Hossa was certainly the guy. And now, after leading all scorers during the Stanley Cup Final as a member of the runner-up Pittsburgh Penguins, the 29-year-old Slovakian joins the Stanley Cup champion.

"Basically, what this comes down to is Marian's commitment to sacrifice money to come here because he feels we give him the best chance to win the Stanley Cup," Holland said. "It shows how important winning is to him and his desire to play with good players. Marian made this day happen. He's a premier power forward who wanted to make this marriage happen and we're thrilled to have worked out a one-year contract."

In fact, would it at all be surprising if Hossa surpassed his career-high 100-point total (43 goals) in 2006-07 as a member of the Atlanta Thrashers? Not really. It would probably come as a shock if he didn't register 80-plus points, particularly if he shares a line with Lady Byng and Frank Selke Trophy recipient Pavel Datsyuk (97 points) and Conn Smythe Trophy-winner Henrik Zetterberg (92 points). Any concerns over Detroit's secondary scoring, behind Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Tomas Holmstrom (40 points), can now be put to rest.
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NHLPage&id=22918"Marian is a premier player in this League," Holland said. "We wanted to add another forward who could fit into our top six, and now we have a forward that could fit into our top three. He's strong down low in the offensive zone, is capable of hanging on to the puck and has a tremendous work ethic. He kills penalties and will back check and play defense. This was certainly a deal we couldn't pass up."

In addition to the Penguins, the Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Canucks, Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins were also in the bidding for Hossa. Edmonton, in fact, offered a lucrative long-term deal. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound lefty turned them down, however, stressing his desire to join a team he feels will provide the best chance to win a Stanley Cup in 2008-09.

"When we (Hossa and Winter) realized the offers we were turning down, we did shake our heads, but I feel I have a good chance to win a Stanley Cup in Detroit and I would do anything to make that happen," Hossa said. "It wasn't easy, but I feel I made the right decision. It wasn't easy to throw the money away, but I guess we'll know this time next year if I made the right choice. And this was my decision."

Hossa had 29 goals and 66 points in 72 regular-season games in 2007-08. He was a dominating force in the playoffs, scoring career highs with 12 goals, 14 assists, five power-play goals, 26 points and a plus-8 rating in 20 games to help the Penguins reach the Cup Final for the first time in 15 seasons. He led all scorers in the Conference Finals with nine points and the Cup Final with seven (three goals, four assists).

"Marian and Sid (Crosby) were the two best forwards on Pittsburgh in the Stanley Cup Final," Holland admitted. "Marian was a guy we had to pay special attention to because of his strength and great scoring ability. I never imagined we'd have an opportunity to sign a player with this much impact, but adding a Marian Hossa will certainly be a motivation for the rest of our team, much like Dallas Drake was for us this past season."

In 10 NHL seasons, Hossa, a four-time NHL All-Star, has scored 299 goals, 349 assists, 93 power-play goals and sports a plus-85 rating. In addition to his scoring, however, Hossa has also proven to be an extremely effective back-checker, a role fans of Hockeytown will certainly come to appreciate. Hossa finished with 30 hits and a team-leading 19 takeaways in 20 playoff games with Pittsburgh.

The Penguins acquired Hossa and Pascal Dupuis at the February trade deadline from Atlanta for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and a 2008 first-round draft pick (forward Dalton Leveille). On Tuesday, Dupuis signed a three-year contract to remain in Pittsburgh.

Hossa was drafted in the first round (12th overall) by the Ottawa Senators in 1997. He joined the Senators full-time during the 1998-99 season, finishing runner-up to Chris Drury of Colorado for the Calder Trophy as Rookie of the Year. In August, 2005, Hossa was traded to the Atlanta Thrashers along with defenseman Greg de Vries for forward Dany Heatley. That season he collected 39 goals, 53 assists and 92 points to surpass his previous career-high by ten points.

Hossa becomes the fifth player to leave Pittsburgh via free agency this week. Forwards Gary Roberts, Ryan Malone and Adam Hall signed with Tampa Bay, and backup goalie Ty Conklin signed with the Red Wings. According to Hossa, Pittsburgh offered a long-term deal and not a one-year contract.

"Of all the NHL teams, I always had Pittsburgh and Detroit in mind since they were the two teams I really liked," Hossa said. "At the end of day, I felt strongly about Detroit. I had a great time in Pittsburgh and they have great players, coaches and fans and that made this a tough decision. I do feel I have a better chance to win the cup with Detroit."

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
haha good stuff Lowe! Really Burke is such a nob. He's embarrasing. Always has something to say about others loves to dish it. Now he gests one back

Monk

Referee
Irritating Avery will help Dallas Stars edge closer to Wings
July 4, 2008

Jul. 4--The Stars couldn't match Detroit's talent, even before the Red Wings signed talented forward Marian Hossa the other day, so they did the next best thing.
They signed nasty, irritating Sean Avery, a player full of the intangibles the Stars need to beat the sweet-skating, robotic Red Wings, who occasionally bore you with their efficiency.
See, you need grit and toughness and attitude to beat the Red Wings. You must excel at all of the game's subtleties to overcome Detroit's edge in talent.
You need players who will battle for space in front of the net. And players who will deliver game-changing checks. And players who can impose their will on a game.
Brenden Morrow provides that stuff every night, and Steve Ott, coming off the best season of his career, helps him. Avery, who had 15 goals and 18 assists in 57 games last season, fits perfectly between them.
Avery's presence means the Stars should have at least one high-energy player on the ice at all times.
"I'm excited to cause quite a disturbance to a lot of guys I used to bother who were probably happy that I've been gone for a year and a half," Avery said with a chuckle.
That's the type of attitude that wins postseason games. Avery, who had seven points in eight playoff games last season, makes you beat him because he concedes nothing. And if you do beat him, he returns for more.
Understand, he's not the kind of player you cheer for unless he's wearing your sweater. And as soon as he leaves Dallas, you'll boo him with more gusto than any other opponent.
Still, you should enjoy Avery, 28, while he's here because he's a difference-maker. The New York Rangers were 50-20-16 with him in the lineup and 9-13-3 without him.
He'll make the Stars better, too. He'll show up in important regular-season games against Detroit, Anaheim and San Jose. And he'll help make life easier for forwards Mike Ribeiro, Mike Modano, Brad Richards, Loui Eriksson and Jere Lehtinen.
"They're not the biggest, toughest guys in the world; you need guys with grit and toughness to create a little space and he does that," said co-general manager Brett Hull, who played with Avery in Detroit.

"He's the little piece we were missing."
And at some point, Avery will have sports talk radio buzzing and the local and national media whipped into a frenzy about something he's done.
Maybe it'll be some postgame comments about an opponent or the Stars' performance. Perhaps it'll be an on-ice incident like when he used his stick to face-guard New Jersey goalie Martin Brodeur in the playoffs, resulting in a rule change the next day.
Avery is with his third team since 2006 and has never spent more than two full seasons with any of his three previous clubs. The Rangers made no attempt to re-sign him.
"I spent some time trying to figure out why it happened," Avery said. "Why they didn't want me back in New York? It's tough to say."
Frankly, Avery is the kind of guy who can only last so long in one place, because sooner or later he's going to drive his teammates and management as crazy as he does the opposition.
"I like to push it to the edge. No question about that," Avery said. "That's how I play, and that's how I live. That's what I am all about, but I've learned to do it without hurting the team and affecting the 22 guys in the dressing room.
"I don't like to lose. I've never enjoyed it. I like to play hard, and I like to do whatever it takes for my team to win."
And that's what makes the Stars better equipped to beat Detroit in the playoffs.

source: http://sportsline.com/nhl/story/10886848/2

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
He is definitely the sort of player, as much of a pain as they are you love to hate them. You know? lol. But Red Wings have a few their own ;) so I'm not worried. However this guy could be more than useful hope he goes well. Maybe he just need to tweak his game a tiny little bit?!

Monk

Referee
yeh, has to tweak his game a little bit...
i would like to see him playing well without all the aggression.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
I don't mind the aggression side, its just knowing when to use it and not lose one's head. Taking an example in league I can think of..Lauaki whom plays for the Warriors. Very talented footballer but is sometimes aggrivated by the silliest things and get carried away.

Latest posts