What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nhl

Monk

Referee
I don't mind the aggression side, its just knowing when to use it and not lose one's head. Taking an example in league I can think of..Lauaki whom plays for the Warriors. Very talented footballer but is sometimes aggrivated by the silliest things and get carried away.

another one that i can think of is matai for the eagles...
i see what you are saying and i agree, its good to have agression, but it is important that you know when to use it.

Sood

Juniors
Well.. all the main UFA's have been signed up by now, except Sundin.

Hes probably going to stay with the leafs, but they say he might sign with the habs or nucks.

I hope he signs with the habs, least give himself a shot at the cup.

Sood

Juniors
You think the Habs haave a good shot next year?

Well they won the east last season. Only other good team in the east is the pens. Plus they got Tanguay now.

You guys hear about the Radulov thing? He still has 1 year left at nashville and has signed a 3 year deal witha russian team. I smell drama.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...dulovs-threeyear-13-million-Russian-deal.html

It reminds me of NRL v ESL. At first we thought it wasnt a threat, but when another league offers more money.. players start to pay attention.

Sood

Juniors
For next season
My picks in order of most likely would be -

Wings
Dallas
Pens
Sharks
Ducks

Teams which arnt serious Stanley cup favs, but could suprise -

Flamers
Habs
Avs(if Sakic returns)
Sens
Rangers
Caps - Ovechkin is the man, lol.
Blackhawks
Wild

Of the crap teams, i think the lightning and Columbus will pick themselves up and have relatively good seasons. While if the leafs loose sundin.. they might win the Tavares lottery.

Monk

Referee
i dont think that the pens will be contenders, i think they have lost to many good players and havnt bought as well as they could have.

my guess's are

Playoffs for sure:
Red Wings
Stars
Sharks
Capitals
Rangers (they bought alot and i think it will pay off, BIG TIME)
Chicago (will be in the playoff but im not sure how long)

Other Contenders:
Pens
Ducks
Flames
Canadians
Wild
Kings
Coyotes

Sood

Juniors
The Kings? that would surprise me.

I hope your right about the pens, i'm starting to dislike them & their bandwagon..

Monk

Referee
pens have lost a major percentage of their heavy artillery and if they dont step up they will find themselves at the wrong side of the ladder....

i have a hunch that the kings will have a strong season

Monk

Referee
IIHF suspends six players while it investigates contracts

July 18, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Nashville Predators forward Alexander Radulov was one of six players whose new NHL contracts were suspended by ice hockey's international governing body on Friday until the legality of the deals could be investigated

Radulov, under contract for another season with the Predators, signed a contract with a Russian team in the new Continental Hockey League (KHL). That deal seemingly would be in breach of a pact agreed to on July 10 between the KHL, the NHL, the NHL Players Association, and international leagues in which contracts worldwide would be honored and respected.

But the KHL contends the deal between Radulov and his KHL team was reached two days before the leagues agreed to obey existing contracts.

"It's irrelevant whether there was an agreement or not, the man has a contract with an NHL club," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Associated Press on Friday. "They should have been respecting contracts.

We have historically always respected contracts regardless of who those contracts are with.

"We have made it very, very clear that if Radulov isn't returned, if his contract isn't voided and he isn't returned to Nashville, we have no interest in sitting down at the table, no interest in cooperating, no interest in doing anything with the KHL."

The International Ice Hockey Federation told the NHL, the NHLPA and the KHL that the international transfers of Radulov and five others are officially under investigation.

Nikita Filatov, Viktor Tikhonov, Jason Krog, Tomas Mojzis and Fedor Fedorov are also having their deals reviewed. All parties have until July 31 to submit documentation to the IIHF.

"We hope that this can be resolved amicably and in a timely manner," IIHF president Rene Fasel said in a statement on Friday. "It is unfortunate that we are already facing such difficulties after the progress that was made last week.

"I am hoping that all sides can come to a solution."
Problems arose due to the lack of a transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL. A signing moratorium was established after representatives from the NHL, NHLPA, and IIHF met last week in Zurich, Switzerland, but the deal has yet to be signed.

KHL president Alexander Medvedev said his league would agree to backdate its agreement with the NHL to July 10, but not beyond that. The sides also had discussions in May about respecting valid contracts.

The six players won't be eligible to participate in international transfers and competitions while the investigation is ongoing.

A conference call was held on Thursday between the IIHF, the NHL and the KHL regarding the suspensions

"I support their interest in helping the parties to try to find a resolution to
the issues," Daly said. "Clearly, we don't want to abdicate the right to determine a player's contractual status and his eligibility to play in our league. That's our issue. Having said that, we want to be clearly transparent because there is nothing to hide here.

"The facts are the facts. If a player has a valid contractual obligation somewhere else, he shouldn't be playing here and vice versa."
The NHL requires its teams to provide proof that a player is free of any existing contracts before the league will register a new deal. Despite the KHL's position that Filatov, Tikhonov, Mojzis, and Fedorov, are under contract in Russia, Daly said the NHL has documentation stating that they were clear of obligation.

Krog's deal holds a provision that allows him to get out of his contract for an offer than exceeds $600,000.
"All these players were free to sign in the NHL," Daly said.
Filatov was chosen by the Columbus Blue Jackets with the No. 6 pick in the first round of the June draft and recently agreed to terms on an entry level NHL contract. Tikhonov, chosen No. 28 by Phoenix, came to terms with the Coyotes. Both players' Russian teams say they already had deals in place.

"I believe an investigation is necessary," Medvedev told the AP by telephone from Moscow, "but there is no legal ground for a suspension in the absence of a transfer agreement."

The decision ultimately could be decided in Russian and U.S. courtrooms, where the NHL has won previously in similar matters.
"In order to have rules we need to sign an agreement," Medvedev said. "Without a signed agreement, we are in a legal vacuum which could be treated differently than what is actually happening. I can return Radulov, but when I say to return my boys, nobody can hear."

Krog, an NHL veteran, signed with Vancouver after he reportedly came to terms with a team in Russia. Mojzis, who played last season in Russia, has a new deal with the Minnesota Wild.

Source: http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/10901795/1

A day and a hlaf until Salary Arbitration hearings begin

Last edited:

Monk

Referee
anyone know if there is a NHL fatasy league anywhere online so we can have a fantasy comp?

Monk

Referee
Memebers for NHL Fantasy League:

Skeletor
Monk

I'll set one up as soon as Yahoo puts the comp up, PM me if you are interested.

Last edited: