What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nhl

Monk

Referee
wow, Ducks might knock out the Sharks :S thats no good.

bosten will win the SC imo.

aphelion

Juniors
The Sharks won the President's Trophy. Is that a sign of things to come? If they're ever going to win the Cup, this is the time for them to do it.

Detroit are always dangerous. Calgary could put in a strong showing as well.

In the East, I like the look of Boston and New Jersey.

God help us if the Penguins go all the way!

Well, that was a pretty big failure from yours truly. Bye bye to the Sharks, Flames, and Devils.

Next round (my picks for what they're worth in bold):
Bruins V Canes (at least Boston haven't let me down!)
Penguins V Capitals (Crosby V Ovechkin)
Wings V Ducks
Canucks V Blackhawks

Sood

Juniors
Pens v Caps is a great matchup. gooo ovie

Ducks are playing good, this should be a tight series. Game 1 coulda gone either way. Wings need to give em payback for 07.
If hossa really wants his cup, he needs to step up.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
All right, all right seems I'm missing out on a few things since I last posted in here. haha.

How's everyone's playoff teams doing???

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?id=2008030233

Red Wings-Ducks Preview
Associated Press
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - An overtime win seems to be part of the Anaheim Ducks flight plan when leaving Detroit during the playoffs.
After a triple-overtime victory over the Red Wings in Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals on Sunday the Ducks devoted Monday to getting plenty of rest as the series shifted west for the next two contests.
Todd Marchant's goal 1:15 into the third extra session and a 59-save effort by Jonas Hiller helped the Ducks get even in the series after the Red Wings won the opener 3-2.
Game 3 is Tuesday night.
Anaheim beat the Red Wings in the Western Conference finals two seasons ago in six games, including overtime wins in Games 2 and 5 of the series at Detroit.
"You go through those long games and it can be a lot more tiring on you if you lose on the road and have to come home," said Ryan Getzlaf, who has led the Ducks with a goal and four assists against the Red Wings. "It was definitely big to get that win."
The Ducks have won four of the last five playoff games between the teams.
Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle gave his players the option of skating Monday morning, and about half the team hit the ice. Others took advantage of the chance to rest and rehydrate after five-plus periods of hockey Sunday.
"We talk about it all the time. Rest and nutrition are as important as going out on the ice," said Marchant, who won Game 2 with a wrist shot past goalie Chris Osgood.
Hiller was also in a recharging mode after his extended workload.
"I feel pretty good," said the 28-year Swiss goalie who has won five of his first eight NHL playoff games. "I kind of take a little rest and do my regular stuff to recover well. I'll be ready for (Tuesday)."
While the Ducks were looking to secure some rest Monday, the Red Wings were focusing on waking up some key players.
Anaheim has been able to keep two of the defending champions' top goal scorers, Marian Hossa (40 regular-season goals) and Pavel Datsyuk (32), off the scoreboard for more than the eight periods of hockey played in the first two games of the series.
"We've had chances, not as many as usual, but we have had chances," Datsyuk said. "We need to score."
Hossa echoed his linemate's concern.
"Obviously we would like to be more productive, but we are facing a really hard opponent," said Hossa, who had nine shots on goal in Game 2. "We just have to grind and adjust some things. We are doing some things well and it's going to be a long series."
The Ducks have matched Marchant and defenseman Scott Niedermayer against Datsyuk and Hossa and will be in better position to do so at home.
Still Detroit coach Mike Babcock says he is not overly concerned about his top-line players getting on track, but there is little time in which to do it.
"It's show time, and they know that, too," he said. "They are some of the best players in the world.
"If I didn't know them, then I'd be concerned."
The Red Wings went through a full-squad practice for about 30 minutes Monday. Defenseman Brian Rafalski (upper body injury) didn't skate with the team and will miss his third straight game.
Babcock didn't rule out Rafalski for Game 4.
Carlyle was impressed with the play of forward Josh Green, who was able to jump back into the Ducks lineup for Game 3.
Green broke his leg in January while skating with the Ducks top minor league affiliate in Des Moines, Iowa. After a lengthy recovery process he was cleared to play last week.
"He was our best player in Iowa, he's worked extremely hard to get himself back," Carlyle said. "It's a tribute to the player when he hasn't played a game in the NHL (this season) and then steps into a playoff series against the defending champions and makes a positive contribution."

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
also on the Red Wings; http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=421470

Rafalski remains out for Game 3
Monday, 05.04.2009 / 10:43 PM / Conference Semifinals: Detroit vs. Anaheim
By Eric Stephens - NHL.com Correspondent

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Brian Rafalski did accompany the team to Anaheim but Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock ruled out the defenseman for Game 3 of the Western Conference Semifinals against the Ducks.

Rafalski, who normally plays on the top defense pairing with Nicklas Lidstrom, has been out of the lineup for this round because of an undisclosed upper-body injury after playing in the first-round sweep of Columbus. Babcock didn’t rule out the puck-moving rearguard for Game 4.

Rafalski didn’t take part in practice Tuesday at the Honda Center. About his defenseman’s availability for Thursday night, Babcock said, "I’m sure hoping so. But I was hoping for Game 2. Doesn’t matter how much I hope, though."

Red Wings center Kris Draper is also out for Game 3 as he is also battling an upper-body injury that has rendered him unable to play a game in the postseason. Draper took part in practice but is still awaiting medical clearance.

"The good thing is once I get the nod from the docs, then there isn’t any conditioning period and doing that stuff," Draper said. "That’s the one positive to this whole thing."

Draper said that he’s still unsure if Game 4 is a possibility.

"I thought Game 1 was realistic," he said. "I know I’m not playing Game 3 and we’ll just go from there. Maybe the morning of Thursday, we’ll see what the docs have to say. If I get good news, obviously I’ll be real excited. If not, just wait and see what happens."

Babcock said he doesn’t plan to make any changes for Game 3, meaning rookie Jonathan Ericsson will continue to take Rafalski’s spot on the blue line and 47-year-old Chris Chelios will again be in the lineup after playing just under seven minutes in each of the first two contests.

aphelion

Juniors
All right, all right seems I'm missing out on a few things since I last posted in here. haha.

How's everyone's playoff teams doing???

Well, the Senators had a dismal year, so I'm bandwagon-hopping.

A friend of mine in the States is a season ticket holder for the Bruins (despite being a Devils fan), and he told me that if the Bruins make the Stanley Cup final he's going to try and get me tickets (as he's got priority being an ST holder). So I'm riding the Bruins bandwagon all the way in the East!

In the West, I'm on the Canucks now that the Flames are gone (love my Canadian teams), though Detroit will probably make it through as usual. ZZZzzzzzzz. Don't get me wrong though, I don't mind the Wings (the first NHL game I ever went to was Wings V Predators at the Joe), but they need to lose occasionally!

Some great matchups curently happening.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
LOL no they don't! I love 'em winning but then they are my faves so I'd say that. :p

Certainly agree with you aphelion some awesome matchups.

Right now the current game on is Canucks vs Blackhawks and it's 3-1 to the Canucks after 2 periods!

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Yeah they've improved and that's great to see. I like how we jsut don't know what will happen in that series, but the other games too. It was great to heaer the Penguins ge tone over the Caps as well :)

Monk

Referee
Carolina Leads Boston 3-1

Pittsburgh Leads Washington 3-2

Detroit Tied With Anaheim 2-2

Chicago Leads Vancouver 3-2

Cmon, Boston, Washington, Detroit and Chicago.