What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nhl

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
NHL stars might not play at Sochi 2014

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1011057

National Hockey League fans should savour the sight of top stars playing for their homelands at the 2010 Winter Olympics because the NHL has made no promise to shut down again for Sochi's 2014 Games.
Russia's Alex Ovechkin and Canada's Sidney Crosby will be among the NHL talent on display in Vancouver next week as the league takes a mid-season Olympic break for the fourth, and perhaps final, time.
"Nothing is set after this year," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said recently in Calgary.
"At the appropriate time, we'll sit down with the (NHL) Players' Association and decide what is best for our game to do."
The NHL's union contract ends in September of next year and the fate of Olympic hockey could be tied into the talks for a new labour agreement.
While a final decision from NHL club owners could be many months away, Bettman hinted at a potential fight to come by saying the benefits for the league to Olympic competition might be less for owners in Russia in 2014.
"It's difficult for any business to shut down for two weeks with the attendant loss of attention and everything that flows from that," Bettman said.
Washington Capitals star Ovechkin has already said that he will play for Russia in the 2014 Olympics no matter what, calling it his duty.
Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin and other NHL stars from Russia have said they want to as well.
There is also an injury risk. Club owners do not want to risk injuries to elite players at an Olympics with six more weeks of regular-season games and two months of playoff games yet to be played.
"We have to decide, on balance, is it worth it?" Bettman said. "What role are we going to have on the world stage? That's a very complicated question because at some point, we have to decide whether it is worth it."
Some clubs will lose more players than others to the many national teams on display. That could produce a competitive disadvantage when NHL play resumes.
International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge called for the NHL to continue to send players to the Olympics last month.
"It's important for the Olympic Games to have the NHL, but also I think it's important for the NHL to have their stars shine in the Olympics," Rogge said.
These will be the first Olympics played on NHL-sized rinks rather than wider Olympic ones.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Got to watch the first period.

Canada were dominate but behind thanks to that bloody red wing Rafalski. 2-1 First period.

Keeping my eye on it one line, 2-2 Heatley scored.

Carrrrn on Canada

aphelion

Juniors
I haven't seen the match yet as I'm at work, but apparently Brodeur is public enemy number 1 in Canada right now. I actually found myself going for the USA in this one, the Canadians in general, not ust the hockey team, have had an air of arrogance about them during the whole games, as if it's their right to win everything since they're the hosts.

Finland V Sweden is up next.

Tore Vikingstad of Norway is one of my new favourite players.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Marty got out played by Miller today I thought.

Woop woop for Bri! What a defenseman, no wonder the Wings put him with Nick! I think he's learned a bit from him. hehehe. Good 'ol Bri that's for sure. I personally thought USA had a better turn up then Canada did for this game.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Got to watch the first period.

Canada were dominate but behind thanks to that bloody red wing Rafalski. 2-1 First period.

Heh Hehe wise old boy with Bri so pleased he picked up a couple of goals! Feel bad for Canada's coach thou! LOL you'd think he'd know a thing or two about Brian considering he's coached him at the Red Wings!! :)

I wonder what he'll have in mind against the Sweds if they play each other soon considering the amount of Wings on that team...Nick, Z, Frazen...

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Here is the up and coming shed for the NHL once the Olympics are over: (home teams listed second)

Monday 1st- Red Wings v Avs

Tuesday 2nd- Canadians v Bruins,
Canes v Maple Leafs
Blackhakws v Islanders
Panthers v Thrashers
Canuks v Bluejackets
Rangers v Senators
Sabres v Penguins
Flyers v Lightning
Oilers v Predators
Kings v Stars
Blues v Coyotes