What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nhl

Ensane

Juniors
thats the price for being so good for so long. jealousy. Even tho the cap is just starting to restrict the Wings, I have no doubt they will be up around the mix again for awhile.

Things will only get interesting when Lidstrom retires imo, he's something that cant be replaced. But knowing the Red Wings im sure they will have acquired a top notch goalie by that time.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
If we lose a number of players at a time that could be a bit of an issue but yeah the Red Wings usually have things like that covered. Well just as the salary cap works for our NRL team it'll do the same with the NHL clubs so I expect some teams will get heavily effected but in the long term that will be good for the league itself.

Ensane

Juniors
thats the thing i dont think most NHL fans understand yet is how much the cap will level the competition out..granted not at the level of the NRL with a smaller sample size and a considerably dwarfed cap! ..cant wait for the day that phoenix wins the cup :lol:

Ensane

Juniors
i think the Pens will be fine, eventually they will have to trade away Jordan Staal for cap room. With sid n geno up the middle they can just go the cheap with wingers..

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
LOL true, but yeah I can see guys like Staal and Kennedy..etc going eventually in order for them to keep Sid and Geno. They'd be crazy to let those two out of their sights, but I don't think their salarys will be that big just yet..;)

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Well it may still be a while away but we haven't got that long until the new 2009-2010 NHL season gets underway, and the NHL has already released it's draw so these are the games from the first weekend to kick off the new season, from Oct 1st to Oct 3rd. .

Oct 1st:
Bruins v Caps
Maple Leafs v Canadians
Avs v Sharks
Flames v Canucks

Oct 2nd:
Blackhakws v Panthers, in Finland.
Blues v Red Wings, Sweeden
Hurricanes v Flyers
Penguins v Rangers

Oct 3rd:
Panthers v Blackhawks, Finland
Aves v Canucks
Red Wings v Blues, Sweeden
Bruins v Hurricanes
Sabres v Canadians
Devils v Flyers
Islanders v Penguins
Rangers v Senators
Caps v Maple Leafs
Thrashers v Lightning
Bluejackets v Wild
Stars v Predators
Oilers v Flames
Ducks v Sharks
Kings v Coyotes

Ensane

Juniors
im not a fan of the NHL starting in europe lately. seems pointless. Save that stuff for preseason games..

mostly looking forward to opening night with the Leafs showing their newfound 'toughness' courtesy of burke against the completely new look Canadiens. They went out and got like wat, 6-7 free agents? dont think that will work out terribly well. But then again i guess its better then wat they had!

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
I don't mind them starting some games overseas actually. It's good for the game in general to be out there in other places instead of consistently being in the US and Canada all the time. They probably also need to be a bit of growing themselves. Though I don't get the whole Winter Classic thing either..haha outdoor ice hockey??!?! Ok maybe that's how it all originated..but hmm...

Yeah be interesting to see how some of the teams perform, esp those who've done alot of spending.

aphelion

Juniors
Though I don't get the whole Winter Classic thing either..haha outdoor ice hockey??!?! Ok maybe that's how it all originated..but hmm...

Come on, how can you not love the Winter Classic?! It's now the highlight of the season! Though it probably won't be so good this season as the Flyers will be stinking it up.

The all-star game, now that's a joke :crazy:

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Come on, how can you not love the Winter Classic?! It's now the highlight of the season! Though it probably won't be so good this season as the Flyers will be stinking it up.

The all-star game, now that's a joke :crazy:

I love the All Star game. Esp the skills comp. It's brilliant coz they all just much around have some fun.

I didn't see alot of the winter classic so I won't comment but I dunno it just doesn't strike me as that fantastic

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Oh guess what guys? I bought the Sidney Crosby On the ice and Beyond DVD and it's quite good enjoy it I also just received another dvd yesterday, Detroti Red Wings- A celebration of champions, covering their 1997-1998 and 2002 Stanely Cups and it's been great watching! I'm up to the parts that show the five best games.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Hmm I just read that Petr Syora isn't liikely to stay at the Pens next year...and Tampa Bay are interested
Tampa need all they can get. They are sturggling big time. Pens as long as they have crosby and malkin then they can continue to build a team around them. Sykora isn't gone just yet either he may still stay.

Anaheim to take it out next season. They have a complete team.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Tampa need all they can get. They are sturggling big time. Pens as long as they have crosby and malkin then they can continue to build a team around them. Sykora isn't gone just yet either he may still stay.

Anaheim to take it out next season. They have a complete team.

Erug I can't stand the Ducks!