What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NICKO HYNES

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'm pretty sure Hynes will sign with the Broncos, mainly because thats the area he is from.

Hynes > Broncos
Dufty > Dogs (maybe?)

Gareth67

First Grade
-Merrin retires we sign McGuire
-JdB maybe back maybe not but salary allowed for
-Beale train on contract
-Burns swap for Blacker
-McInnes gone McCullough in

-Molo signed for 2022

Norman, Dufty, JP, Williame & Ellis unsigned.

Why not make a play for Hynes?

I am not suggesting that the Dragons should not make the man an offer , but merely saying that they will need to trump Brisbane’s reported $1m to get him .

Another member mentioned earlier in the week that Hynes is an avid surfer and that may be an enticement for him to come to the lovely beaches at Wollongong , but only if our offer is on par with the Broncos .

Perhaps if we supplied him with a new wetsuit and Mary’s old surf ski , that will to the trick ?

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
DRAGONS SET SIGHTS ON STORM TARGET AS DUFTY TOLD TO FIND A NEW CLUB
BY LACHLAN GELEIT 2 DAYS AGO
mattdufty.jpeg

St George Illawarra are reportedly willing to let go of their best attacking weapon in Matt Dufty.

The lightning quick number one has scored eight tries and assisted five in 10 appearances for the Red V this year.

Speaking on Nine's 100% Footy, NRL journalist Danny Weidler revealed that he's been told the fullback is free to "go look around" for a new club.

"It's my understanding that Matt Dufty has been told by the Dragons that he is free to go. I don't think they want him for next year," Weidler said.

"The information I've got is that he's been told they don't want him and go look around. All the information I've got is that they don't want him at the club.

"I don't know what Matt Dufty has done wrong as a footballer.

"They've had a chance to re-sign him for a while now at the Dragons and they've decided not to."

The Daily Telegraph’s Michael Carayannis believes the club is hesitant to sign Dufty because they’re setting their eyes on Storm utility Nicho Hynes.

“The Dragons have been very reluctant to re-sign Matt Dufty,” Carayannis said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“They want to give him some time and have a look at him and assess him under the new coach.

“They’re in for Nicho Hynes, but they’re not the only ones.

“I think Cronulla will look at him, Brisbane are definitely in for him, he’s very much in demand.”

Hynes’ Storm teammate Cooper Johns told SEN 1170 Drive with Joel and Fletch on Monday that he thinks “it would be best” if the breakout star went to a rival club.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05...torm-target-as-dufty-told-to-find-a-new-club/

Maddragon99

Juniors
I am not suggesting that the Dragons should not make the man an offer , but merely saying that they will need to trump Brisbane’s reported $1m to get him .

Another member mentioned earlier in the week that Hynes is an avid surfer and that may be an enticement for him to come to the lovely beaches at Wollongong , but only if our offer is on par with the Broncos .

Perhaps if we supplied him with a new wetsuit and Mary’s old surf ski , that will to the trick ?[/QUOTE05244F2C-C31E-49B5-8039-3BA964B01091.jpeg

_Johnsy

Referee

Perhaps if we supplied him with a new wetsuit and Mary’s old surf ski , that will to the trick ?
I have heard 1 mill over 3 years, that's very good value for him IMO. I would have thought we'd be able to do better than that.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
agree if Nicho is $350k pa and he can genuinely play FB, 5/8 or centre he is very handy for a team

$400k pa and above i think he will struggle to attract that coin because then you are moving up into the next level of proven player. I suspect we and many clubs would pause and choose other options with greater certainty if Nicho wanted more than $400k

Just like we are holding the ground with Dufty who probably wants $400k plus pa

Draginzaaar

Bench
Nicho, like H. Grant was tearing up the Q cup long before he played a single game for the Storm. The only players that don't perform after leaving the Storm are players they didn't want to keep, (Croft for example) or not willing to pay overs (Widdop, Tino).
Ps. he will be with the Storm next year. (fact)

He must like playing off the bench. Why would he want to be a starter? :oops:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Central coast boy, i'm 99.999% syure.

100% he's from the Central Coast.

What i was meaning was that when he entered the Storm system, he'd already played a couple of seasons wirh the Mackay Cuttters, then was playing for Sunshine Coast Falcons under the Storm system.
So most of his 'senior' football has been played in QLD.

possm

Coach
I have heard 1 mill over 3 years, that's very good value for him IMO. I would have thought we'd be able to do better than that.
1m over 3 years is Dufty money, so if Dufty moves on we will still have salary cap from Norman, McInness and others not extended.

Hynes makes a lot of sense because he has versatility and first grade experience, a quality most clubs are looking for these days.

_Johnsy

Referee
100% he's from the Central Coast.

What i was meaning was that when he entered the Storm system, he'd already played a couple of seasons wirh the Mackay Cuttters, then was playing for Sunshine Coast Falcons under the Storm system.
So most of his 'senior' football has been played in QLD.
No worries, that info was obviously the 0.0001% I was missing. :)

_Johnsy

Referee
agree if Nicho is $350k pa and he can genuinely play FB, 5/8 or centre he is very handy for a team

$400k pa and above i think he will struggle to attract that coin because then you are moving up into the next level of proven player. I suspect we and many clubs would pause and choose other options with greater certainty if Nicho wanted more than $400k

Just like we are holding the ground with Dufty who probably wants $400k plus pa
Looking at what we're paying Normy. 400-450k is a steal for Nicho.

Normy kicks, passes to an unders runner, feeds the centres and takes the line once 3 or 4 times a game.

Maddragon99

Juniors
1m over 3 years is Dufty money, so if Dufty moves on we will still have salary cap from Norman, McInness and others not extended.

Hynes makes a lot of sense because he has versatility and first grade experience, a quality most clubs are looking for these days.
Well it now looks pretty certain that Dufty is out for character issues, given we’ve got Corey Norman & Jack de Belin in the team Dufty‘s behaviour must be bad.

Attracting Hynes would be a major coup, he’s only 24 & could be a mainstay out of team for years to come. Coming from Melbourne he’s obviously well coached I think he could make an excellent 5/8 combining with Ramsey at fullback.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Well it now looks pretty certain that Dufty is out for character issues, given we’ve got Corey Norman & Jack de Belin in the team Dufty‘s behaviour must be bad.

Attracting Hynes would be a major coup, he’s only 24 & could be a mainstay out of team for years to come. Coming from Melbourne he’s obviously well coached I think he could make an excellent 5/8 combining with Ramsey at fullback.
Wouldnt be suprised if Dufty stays on similar or reduced coin
Could be used as a utility
Obviously wanted extras which werent considered..would u go to the dogs or sharks on similar money ??

Latest posts