What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NICKO HYNES

boardlumps62

Juniors
I just love intrigue. Being a bit of a romantic at heart he may have a bit of skirt on the south coast. Am I allowed to say that. I going to the rumours thread.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well perhaps all is not lost gents , the article did mention that another club has now joined the race - perhaps Griffin has changed his mind after the weekend’s rout
by the Tigpies ?

However if so , then he will need to give a certain high price player his marching orders very quickly , otherwise we will be left behind once again as is normally the case when the Dragons are hunting a quality player .

redVinme

Bench
Don't think the narks will miss out in him after missing reynolds. They will be looking for a shot in the arm and to make a decent signing. They also have far more cap space than us I'd say.

redv13

Bench
Don't think the narks will miss out in him after missing reynolds. They will be looking for a shot in the arm and to make a decent signing. They also have far more cap space than us I'd say.
I wouldn’t be fussed either way with signing Hynes. Very risky paying big $$$ for a 22 gamer in the Melbourne storm system. May turn out to be a champion but may also turn into a run of the mill player once outside their systems and he’s the head honcho running a side

thebigredv

First Grade
I wouldn’t be fussed either way with signing Hynes. Very risky paying big $$$ for a 22 gamer in the Melbourne storm system. May turn out to be a champion but may also turn into a run of the mill player once outside their systems and he’s the head honcho running a side

Same line of thinking as you are but by the same token can we afford to do nothing? Maybe we keep one eye on the likes of Ramsey but swoop on a bigger body capable player for fullback that doesn't require unreasonable money. Not a huge Mbye fan but perhaps that was the thought there?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Same line of thinking as you are but by the same token can we afford to do nothing? Maybe we keep one eye on the likes of Ramsey but swoop on a bigger body capable player for fullback that doesn't require unreasonable money. Not a huge Mbye fan but perhaps that was the thought there?
Mbye would have been handy as he can play any position in the backline plus 9 but that ship has sailed.

Illusion

Bench
Mbye would have been handy as he can play any position in the backline plus 9 but that ship has sailed.
He would have been good for us now , it seems to be the sort of player Hook likes .... slow and steady .... I am waiting to see what sort of a big signing we do get .... That will give me more of an insight of what sort of coach Hook is ...... Time will tell ...... The game has changed since Hook has coached being out of the job for a couple of years ..... Lets hope he lets go of the way he coached previous and cuts ties with players he had coached before ..... Its time for everyone to move on ......

Puff

First Grade
We as a club just make up the numbers.

If we had aspirations we would be in for the best players.

Alas we aren’t, and we are relying on juniors coming through. Hoping they have another level.

You need a mix of both. First and most important we need someone from a winning culture. Because ours isn’t.

thebigredv

First Grade
We as a club just make up the numbers.

If we had aspirations we would be in for the best players.

Alas we aren’t, and we are relying on juniors coming through. Hoping they have another level.

You need a mix of both. First and most important we need someone from a winning culture. Because ours isn’t.

The best teams don't use the word 'hope' in their vocabulary. They just get it done. If standards are not met, they don't mess around. We, like many other clubs, pin our hopes on ideas and players which come off once or twice every ten attempts. We value relationships, loyalty and patience but simply lack killer instinct. Say what you want about the Storm (forever cheats) but Bellamy is something very, very special. I don't know if he has loads of friends but he has the utmost respect from within and outside the club.

I still think Griffin will get us going eventually but this hope thing has got to end now. Players need to be recruited.

getsmarty

Immortal
Seriously...Griffin hasn't even had 1/2 a season in charge....I get the angst re previous years...but do you turn around rundown business overnight....not unless you have a benefactor who is willing to throw ridiculous dollars ( which we don't have )....

We have had suspensions/injuries....Our depth was already down at the start of the year....

People need to learn patience....Griffin inherited a mess....Webb is a smart operator....This year was always a rebuild....People laughed at Penrith's 5 year plan....took them longer but look at them now.

We have the same potential....But..it will take a few years to get the roster in order...

Have a good day all.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Seriously...Griffin hasn't even had 1/2 a season in charge....I get the angst re previous years...but do you turn around rundown business overnight....not unless you have a benefactor who is willing to throw ridiculous dollars ( which we don't have )....

We have had suspensions/injuries....Our depth was already down at the start of the year....

People need to learn patience....Griffin inherited a mess....Webb is a smart operator....This year was always a rebuild....People laughed at Penrith's 5 year plan....took them longer but look at them now.

We have the same potential....But..it will take a few years to get the roster in order...

Have a good day all.

Spot on GS.

Hook, Elliott and Gentle are experienced coaches. I remember the voices screaming that we needed to sign an experiencee coach and not another roojie after Mc85 was punted, and we did. 6 months in and in some peoples eyes they appear to be not good enough. Mmmm

We have a ridiculously divided roster ie: very experienced at one end talented rookie juniors at the other. Not much in between. Hook, I believe, will bring the most talented through, giving them opportunities in 1st grade. We've seen this already with Amone, and to a lesser extent with the Feagai boys. I'm sure we'll see more before this seasons end and that may start with Bud this week. Actually you could throw both Ramsay and Burns into that group also.

We all want to win every game, play every final, make the GF, but reality is we just don't have the squad balance as yet, particularly this year. This year was all about correcting the past, installing what it is to be a Dragons player, playing some good and enterprising football, not just the 'powa' game of 5 hit ups and kick with the occasional telegraphed block play.

As you say patience and support are critical right now, especially for our youngstars coming through.

blacksafake

First Grade

Have a good day all.
No wonder the other supporters & the media say that Dragons supporters are never happy. I get that supporters want success & they want it yesterday but as you say Smarty you can't rurn it around in a few months. Time is needed & I'm sure the club is ok with this.
I like what I've seen & heard from Webb so far & he & Hook appear to be on the same page.
Us supporters just need to give the right people time.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
He would have been good for us now , it seems to be the sort of player Hook likes .... slow and steady .... I am waiting to see what sort of a big signing we do get .... That will give me more of an insight of what sort of coach Hook is ...... Time will tell ...... The game has changed since Hook has coached being out of the job for a couple of years ..... Lets hope he lets go of the way he coached previous and cuts ties with players he had coached before ..... Its time for everyone to move on ......
I think Mbye would have been good right now but if we had to wait a year there are better options.

Latest posts