What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NICKO HYNES

FlameThrower

Bench
It's groundhog day.

Why are all our marquee signings experienced has-been squad fillers?

If some of the depressing signings eventuate in this thread Griffin will end up with the same treatment as Morris.

I'm done with value buys and then trust in our juniors. Our juniors aren't ready today and these rumoured signings are in the twilight of their careers. It doesn't line up.
Too many squad fillers who don’t offer spark. I’m still baffled as to how we can still consider older players, when we have supposedly a wealth of talent in the juniors. Yet we get Billy Burns and Gerald Beale instead...so maybe that talent pool is not that deep.

getsmarty

Immortal
I'm referring to next year. Agree regarding Molo but if we sign Milford or Johnson or Ferguson we are simply serving their needs and not ours.

We saw a heap of that under McGregor.

We can afford to fork out for an expensive back and another forward for next year.

The above mentioned 3 players are speculation/unsubstantiated rumours....people post a lot of unsubstantiated rumours on here and then other posters take it as Mail and run with it....maybe just wait to see who the club announces before making a judgement based of unsubstantiated rumours...Have a good day and hopefully we can be competitive tonight.....

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
The above mentioned 3 players are speculation/unsubstantiated rumours....people post a lot of unsubstantiated rumours on here and then other posters take it as Mail and run with it....maybe just wait to see who the club announces before making a judgement based of unsubstantiated rumours...Have a good day and hopefully we can be competitive tonight.....
As always, thanks for your sensible input Smarty.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Cmon brother, it’s not like your club hasn’t made mistakes either?
Dugan 850K
Moylan 800K
Johnson 900K
How many good games collectively has this 2.5 million played for you?
100% mate.....those 3 contracts have f**ked us over for the past 3 years and you can probably throw in Woods and even Fifita to a lesser extent. Fortunately all of them are off contract this year bar Fifita. My point was more so that I don’t see Nicho Hynes a risk at 600k. Hopefully we have learnt our lesson by paying overs for guys that are in the twilight of their careers. My concern for you guys is the fact that you are being linked with guys like Johnson....Burgess and Fergo.

Reddragon

Bench
The whole basis of the forums is 90% "unsubstantiated rumours", people running with the rumours, plus talking up some 17 year old as the next Langlands even though they haven't even established themselves in reserve grade.

Crush

Coach
100% mate.....those 3 contracts have f**ked us over for the past 3 years and you can probably throw in Woods and even Fifita to a lesser extent. Fortunately all of them are off contract this year bar Fifita. My point was more so that I don’t see Nicho Hynes a risk at 600k. Hopefully we have learnt our lesson by paying overs for guys that are in the twilight of their careers. My concern for you guys is the fact that you are being linked with guys like Johnson....Burgess and Fergo.
Any Dragons supporter saying Hynes is a risk at 600K is just sour grapes. He’s an excellent acquisition and we know it.

redv13

Bench
Any Dragons supporter saying Hynes is a risk at 600K is just sour grapes. He’s an excellent acquisition and we know it.
No sour grapes here Crush. Everyone is quick to jump on the next big thing. I stand by my comments that Hynes should be judged next year when he is missing all that weekly support that the Sharks don’t have before everyone spruiks his as the messiah and the big fish that got away

blaza88z

Coach
Whether he ended up in Cronulla, St. George or Brisbane the onlookers would all be saying the same things and asking the same question and to be quite fair, it's a valid question.

Will he be the same player he has been away from the Melbourne system?

This is a player who was struggling to find his way until he came under the coaching of Craig Bellamy, Cronulla were prepared to paid 600k to find out and for me as someone looking on, this is a signing they just had to make.

It's not an ideal signing for them, ideally they need a halfback.. but they had to get one potential gun that wasn't a washed up hack that no other club wanted (no Anthony Milford type signings, is what I am saying). If they missed out on Hynes, that club would've been in disarray after shafting their last coach for a new coach who is relatively untried, just on the basis that he will attract the big names.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
All he's done is rip us and the Broncos apart, two bog average teams that have languished at the bottom of the table for the past few years. If he starts doing it during the finals then there's reason for us to whinge about not making a play. For the record Pap would have had a field day against the crap left side defence we dished up when Fui was sent off, hell anyone who could draw and pass would have.

As others have said let's judge him when he's on his own so to speak. Best of luck to the guy, but can Fitzgibbon get him to rip in like Bellamy can?

Valley

Juniors
100%, if we signed him it would be a bargain, if anyone else signs him its overs, in saying that if we are putting our faith in our juniors etc then he isnt required..

BLM01

First Grade
Not sour grapes
Being realistic on what he has done playing minimal time at NRL at 6.1 or 2 games? Focus on the position he signed for not not what you seen him do at fullback
I would’ve said the same thing had we sign him for 600,000 to play 6
it’s still a wait and see and yes a risk for me
I am certainly not upset we did not sign him as I believe there are better options for us hopefully at 6 within
Fullback not so sure yet
But every decision made has an element of risk to it
Some are bigger than others that’s all

TruSaint

Referee

I agree with you, as much as I hate to say so.

Here's the difference.

You may have paid "overs" for those players, but you got your targets.

Before Mary turned Dugan into the Michelin Man, he was an out and out winner. Played a dozen times for Australia. Moylan and Johnson are gifted players. Shite doesn't work out all the time, and maybe those players NOW seem expensive. At least you were in the battle.

Every time we go to market, the excuse is the same. " We really did not bid for him", or the old "Too expensive". It's a great excuse, but it's wearing thin.

The fact that Hynes, whether a superstar or not, didn't consider us tells you what you need to know.

The fact that we let Cam McInnes leave to secure McCullough is damning.

It was drip fed to us that Dufty was allowed to test the market as we have our sights on someone else. What's the bet its another disgruntled, late 20's / early 30's journeyman.

People can believe what they wish, and dismiss Hynes and co. now, but we are not an attractive destination at the minute as a result of negligence by the board for over a decade.

Illusion

Bench
I agree with you, as much as I hate to say so.

Here's the difference.

You may have paid "overs" for those players, but you got your targets.

Before Mary turned Dugan into the Michelin Man, he was an out and out winner. Played a dozen times for Australia. Moylan and Johnson are gifted players. Shite doesn't work out all the time, and maybe those players NOW seem expensive. At least you were in the battle.

Every time we go to market, the excuse is the same. " We really did not bid for him", or the old "Too expensive". It's a great excuse, but it's wearing thin.

The fact that Hynes, whether a superstar or not, didn't consider us tells you what you need to know.

The fact that we let Cam McInnes leave to secure McCullough is damning.

It was drip fed to us that Dufty was allowed to test the market as we have our sights on someone else. What's the bet its another disgruntled, late 20's / early 30's journeyman.

People can believe what they wish, and dismiss Hynes and co. now, but we are not an attractive destination at the minute as a result of negligence by the board for over a decade.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: x2

possm

Coach
But what is relevant is who is linking us to those players. I do not belive any of them will be at the Dragons however, I think that Burgess would be a good run on prop with Vaughan.

getsmarty

Immortal
The whole basis of the forums is 90% "unsubstantiated rumours", people running with the rumours, plus talking up some 17 year old as the next Langlands even though they haven't even established themselves in reserve grade.

Correct...People need to know the difference between Rumours and facts....There are good posters in here with info and the runs on the board in J.A....

Latest posts