What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine Knights face sack

keeney

First Grade
<H2 id=story>Nine Knights face sack
By Barry Toohey
May 30, 2007
AS many as nine top-grade Newcastle Knights players could be shown the door at the end of the season as coach Brian Smith prepares to cut a swath through the playing ranks.
The player purge has already claimed new Melbourne Storm signing Clint Newton while props Josh Perry (Manly) and Adam Woolnough (Penrith) are set to announce in the coming weeks they will part with the club at the end of the season.
The futures of Daniel Abraham, George Carmont, Brad Tighe, Milton Thaiday, Riley Brown, Reegan Tanner and David Seage remain under a cloud and there is every chance most will be looking for new clubs.
Despite levels of player unrest brought on by the contract speculation and accusations he is "ripping the heart out of the club", Smith is prepared to ride out any backlash in a bid to bring about significant changes to his player roster.
"Change is tough and it brings with it a certain about of pain - pain for somebody," Smith said yesterday.
"I knew when I came here there were tough times ahead both on and off the field in managing all the changes that need to take place here.
"I'm not enjoying it but the business aspect of the game is tough and you just have to deal with it the best you can.
"I've been on the butt end of it myself on a couple of occasions (as a coach)."
Smith received the backing of the club yesterday with acting chief executive Steve Crowe claiming the coach was given a clear mandate to bring about changes when he was appointed.
"We've got a new coach and we gave him a very clear brief that we needed to change some aspects of the club," Crowe said.
"We knew the dynamics of the club would change dramatically post-Andrew Johns and that's all been fast-tracked unfortunately.
"We need to ultimately change the way we play, the dynamics of the team and the physical profile of the team.
"We are determined to do that.
"There is no other way that we can see ourselves as an ongoing premiership force year in, year out which is what Newcastle people have come to expect."
While he did not say as much yesterday, it is understood Smith sees the fallout from Newton's decision to quit the Knights on Monday as the crisis the club had to have.
The situation had been festering for some time and while there remains disquiet from many players who are on the outer, there is a feeling that a lot of the heat has been taken out of any potential uprising.
Smith did not shy away from claims yesterday that player morale is low, with the club organising a team barbecue yesterday as a way of bringing the players together on a day off from training.
But he put that down to Sunday's 71-6 loss to Brisbane Broncos as much as any unrest over player contracts for next season.
"I think morale is a bit shaky," he said.
Smith's trump card in his plans to bring about a significant make-over for the club is the fact the Knights are rumoured to have around $1.5 million to spend on new players for next season under the salary cap.
</H2>
I'd like to keep Wooly and Abes, and if it was me I'd keep Seage one more time, but I know that isn't happening. The rest should be cut from life though. Perhaps not Perry but I'd rather Wooly over him.

keeney

First Grade
Also 1.5 mil, happy days, as long as we spend it well I'd be able to live with these losses.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Who would we go for though? Any names come to mind as to who we'd sign?

The article Stranger's posted mentions Ryles and Tate, and that's in addition to the rumours that we're making plays for Ben Cross and Trent Waterhouse.

voltron

Juniors
yeah
i dont want to lose abes!!
=(
i like him, the rest? meh im not that concerned about them

Stuzmeister

Juniors
CWBush said:
The article Stranger's posted mentions Ryles and Tate, and that's in addition to the rumours that we're making plays for Ben Cross and Trent Waterhouse.
I'd love to sign Crossy. Good tough front rower who isn't afraid of getting down and dirty. Makes a few handling errors but would still be an improvement on what we had.

Super Sub

Juniors
It seems to me that the big problem with Ryles is his injuries. He has always been a very capable prop while on the field, unlike Perry who sometimes turns up to play but other times turns up looking more like he got lost on the field trying to find his seat in the crowd.

I would be quite happy to sign Ryles because he is an experienced forward and would be a leader in our pack, which is something we really really need (yeah we do have Simmo but he can't do it all himself) and at least we could expect his best efforts every time he plays.

roopy

Referee
Abes is walking around on a leg made out of paddle pop sticks glued together with perkins paste.

It is ruthless to say we shouldn't waste our money on a guy who bleeds red and blue and has proven it time after time - but we have to be ruthless to win this thing.

Abes should be on a contract where he can earn big money if he can stay on the field - but not become our version of a Chelsea pensioner.

aqua_duck

Coach
perry-powderpuff, if he pulled his thumb out he would have been a test regular by now
woolnough-honest player but no mongrel, no aggression, just doesn't have that x factor
carmont-he'd be lucky to get a contract in ESL
Brown-the sooner the better
tanner-see brown
tighe-see brown
thaiday-too many flaws to his game, defence, high ball, with kidley at FB his days are numbered
seage-just too injuy prone
abraham-see seage

Jono078

Referee
macavity said:
we are getting rid of a fat git, and we want to sign another one.... :crazy:

Not just 1, 2 atleast!

Possible new front-row targets include Parramatta's Justin Tsoulos, Melbourne's Ian Donnelly, and Manly's George Rose, all of whom would come for about half the money Woolnough and Perry can command.

I wouldnt be happy with any of them, id just rather Snowden, Sargent, Tolar and a few younger ones be our forwards.

MC DUI

Juniors
It's good and all to be cleaning out the dead wood, but some of these names being thrown around as signings are deadset terrible.

It's like replacing junk with junk.

Belly07

Juniors
Newcastle needed forwards to give Jarrod Mullen time to create things on the field. Newcastle should sign Joel Clinton (Penrith) and Jason Ryles (St. George). Add these two to Bedsy and Simmo, and Newcastle have a strong forward pack capable of defending the middle of the ruck - an area the Knights are struggling with at the moment. Newcastle then need to sign a young up and coming half or 5/8 to play alongside Mullen and a proven outside back with proven try scoring ability. This along with the current crop of Knights juniors would lead the Knights back to the top of the field, where they belong. Beleive in Smith - he knows how to turn a struggling team around. Just look at Parra now.

Latest posts