What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine Screws Melbourne again

Goddo

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tv-stations-told-to-play-fair-over-footy-rights-20100921-15jxe.html
TV stations told to play fair over footy rights

Phillip Coorey

September 21, 2010 THE federal government has promised AFL fans that last week's debacle in which free-to-air TV delayed for two hours the telecast of the preliminary final between Collingwood and Geelong will never be repeated because of impending changes to the way live sport is broadcast.

Under changes to the anti-siphoning laws to be unveiled before Christmas, free-to-air television stations will be required to broadcast sport live or hand it over to pay TV.

However, the stations will have the option of broadcasting the event live on one of their secondary digital channels, instead of their main channel, giving them the best of both worlds.

Only if they choose to hoard the event and not run it live at all will they have to allow pay TV to broadcast it under a ''use-it-or-lose-it'' provision.

The changes have been ready since early this year but were delayed by the government's various misfortunes including the mining tax imbroglio, Kevin Rudd's ousting and then the election. They are awaiting sign-off by the cabinet and will be enacted by regulation before December 31, when the current anti-siphoning list expires.

On Friday night, viewers in Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra were unable to watch the preliminary final on Channel Seven or its regional affiliate, Prime, until 9.30pm, two hours after the game began. The event was made available live on Fox TV's Main Event channel.

Channel Seven and Prime were inundated with complaints from people without pay TV but they were told the AFL would rate poorly against the NRL final between the Canberra Raiders and Wests Tigers (on Channel Nine) so it was worth Seven's while to delay coverage.

The new regulations cover the next AFL TV rights contract which runs from 2012 to 2016 and is forecast to be worth $1 billion.
The latest figures show that as of June 30, 74 per cent of Australian households had converted to digital television. By contrast, 30 per cent subscribed to pay TV.

Analog TV is due to be phased out completely by 2013.

Canard

Immortal
This is awesome news for League also Im guessing?? Im happy to watch it on Go or GEM or whatever

docbrown

Coach
What's the result of this for league?

1. All NRL games to be played live on FTA
2. This means the 2 Friday Night games would have to be played at 7:30pm on 2 channels - main & digital
3. This mean sunday may need a 4pm kick off - or more likely - will be played back to back with a game at 2 & 3:30pm.
4. Games outside NSW & QLD will be broadcast live on digital
5. Super League will be broadcast live on digital

Canard

Immortal
What's the result of this for league?

1. All NRL games to be played live on FTA
2. This means the 2 Friday Night games would have to be played at 7:30pm on 2 channels - main & digital
3. This mean sunday may need a 4pm kick off - or more likely - will be played back to back with a game at 2 & 3:30pm.
4. Games outside NSW & QLD will be broadcast live on digital
5. Super League will be broadcast live on digital

I dont think it means anything for ESL.

And I assume by point 1 you mean all games that 9 Currently has rights too, not ALL games.

undertaker

Coach
I can't believe there were dickheads ringing up Sydney sports shows last night, complaining that the all-Victorian prelim final wasn't live into Sydney on Ch 7 and that they had to wait until 9.30pm to watch.

Do these f**ktards know that they could've watched the tripe on Main Event?

Poor old league fans in Melbourne would kill for such a luxury.

Agreed

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Fox keeps all Saturday games it would be great to see the Friday night SL game played on FTA digital channel on the Saturday afternoon. Even a cup comp between Q'land cup and NSW cup teams to be aired on FTA on a Saturday would be good.

docbrown

Coach
I dont think it means anything for ESL.

And I assume by point 1 you mean all games that 9 Currently has rights too, not ALL games.

Nine can't hoarde the ESL and play it at midnight delayed 30 hours in only select states. Pay TV would be allowed to buy the live rights under this scenario as well.

The reason this anti-siphoning law changes are happening is because FTA networks now have the spectrum to play such events live - so there's no excuse not to any more.

What it means to free to air networks is that if the buy the rights, they're forced to be serious about showing it. No more of this after midnight in Melbourne rubbish - otherwise Fox will show it live and go head to head with 9 - which 9 won't want.

And yes, I mean the games that the FTA networks specifically buy the rights for. :)

These changes mean more for the exposure of Rugby League than most other sports as it has long been one of the most hoarding telecasts.

docbrown

Coach
If Fox keeps all Saturday games it would be great to see the Friday night SL game played on FTA digital channel on the Saturday afternoon. Even a cup comp between Q'land cup and NSW cup teams to be aired on FTA on a Saturday would be good.

I agree with both those sentiments and it's easily something perfectly suited for One HD.

Canard

Immortal
Well Fri Nights game is shown 12.25am Sat Morning, but good news the Sat night game is at 11.30pm!!

F.. Me, and the wonder why people go to torrent sites.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Meh I'll just pay the $5.99 to watch the game live from the NRL.com international broadcast thing. I've got a Firefox workout that will let me do it.

m0nty

Juniors
Those new "use it or lose it" rules wouldn't apply to ESL because ESL wouldn't be on the anti-siphoning list.

Interesting implications for the NRL though. Friday double headers get more complicated: they'd have to put the non-Nine match in NSW and Queensland on Fox, and both of them on Fox in the other states if Nine doesn't want to put one of them on Go.

Canard

Immortal
Yeh thats what I was getting at there is no way this has any effect on non-Australian sports.

Think about it, f**k me we would have 4 channels constantly playing hurling, curling and tiddle winks.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
any dragons fans in melbouren this weekend, shoot me a PM.. can let you know where to see it live :)

docbrown

Coach
Those new "use it or lose it" rules wouldn't apply to ESL because ESL wouldn't be on the anti-siphoning list.

Interesting implications for the NRL though. Friday double headers get more complicated: they'd have to put the non-Nine match in NSW and Queensland on Fox, and both of them on Fox in the other states if Nine doesn't want to put one of them on Go.

The individual events for the sports on the list are being reviewed as well and their appeal to Australian audience.

ESL is one of them and there's a good chance it will be included, like tennis, because of the number of Australian players in the competition and the World Club Challenge.

m0nty

Juniors
The individual events for the sports on the list are being reviewed as well and their appeal to Australian audience.

ESL is one of them and there's a good chance it will be included, like tennis, because of the number of Australian players in the competition and the World Club Challenge.

They don't even have tennis on the list any more, outside the Aus Open. Wimbledon doesn't make the cut in the modern era. They're certainly not going to put ESL on it. About as much chance as the IPL.

If Nine had a sports channel like One you'd be laughing, but I can't see them showing it regularly on FTA any time soon.