What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine Screws Melbourne again

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Of course Victorians will watch the Storm in a GF. But Dragons v Roosters (or whoever)? No thanks. Why would the casual sports fan all of a sudden care about these teams with players they've never heard of, whose games are normally shown about 1am?

Junior Masterchef will beat it by about 600,000 viewers.

Maybe because they are a casual sports fan. If they don't want to watch an NRL Grand Final, then we can not class them as such.

russ13

First Grade
Take a look at the GF viewing figures for Vic for last year. Now come back and tell me the casual sports fan in Vic has no interest in watching RL!

What Ch9 did last year in cutting off the presentation was the ultimate insult and that alone would be enough for me to tell them to go and take a flying frick fat the next negotiations. NRL is the number 1 sports TV product, if they want to treat it with such disresepect and disdain they can go and get.....

PR here are the Ratings for the NRL GF last year.

1 Rugby League Grand Final Nine 2,416,000 1,119,000 650,000 535,000 47,000 65,000
2 Nine News Sunday Nine 1,845,000 422,000 730,000 425,000 124,000 144,000
6 Seven News - Sun Seven 1,269,000 204,000 454,000 214,000 164,000 233,000

Look what the Channel 9 News rated in Melbourne when they cut short the presentation.

Chanel 7 & 9 News the week proir to the NRL GF (27 September 2009):

1 Seven News-Sun Seven 1,530,000 419,000 440,000 352,000184,000 136,000

6 Nine News Sunday Nine 1,195,000 326,000 382,000 225,000 166,000 95,000

Chanel 7 & 9 News the week after the NRL GF (11 October 2009:

1 Seven News - Sun Seven 1,644,000 447,000 397,000 408,000 167,000 225,000

6 Nine News Sunday Nine 1,166,000 335,000 385,000 202,000 147,000 97,000

Notice anything:lol:

(The Ratings can be obtained on the TFC TV Ratings' Thread)

smi962

First Grade
Tasmania even has better rugby league coverage. Last Sunday's arvo game was shown live (whilst it was on late at night in Melbourne), whilst the semi final night games were delayed, however, appeared to be shown 1-1.30 hours earlier than in Melbourne.

Bricey

Juniors
PR here are the Ratings for the NRL GF last year.

Look what the Channel 9 News rated in Melbourne when they cut short the presentation.

Chanel 7 & 9 News the week proir to the NRL GF (27 September 2009):

Chanel 7 & 9 News the week after the NRL GF (11 October 2009:

Notice anything:lol:

(The Ratings can be obtained on the TFC TV Ratings' Thread)

Not really sure on what the time gaps are in the statistics, or are they figures for each capital city? The 6pm news is regarded as the highest rating timeslot for a commercial television station each week.

That is why the football is on from 4-6pm. They get a boost in the ratins 15 minutes priopr to the news commencing, and hope that perople watching the football will be too lazy to switch off.

Same in VIC, the afl coverage on 7 concludes at 6pm

docbrown

Coach
That is why the football is on from 4-6pm. They get a boost in the ratins 15 minutes priopr to the news commencing, and hope that perople watching the football will be too lazy to switch off.

Same in VIC, the afl coverage on 7 concludes at 6pm

Which is why having 2 Sunday afternoon games back to back on FTA is huge for the game and the broadcaster. 4 sets of fans + general rugby league fans as a lead in. Start the coverage at 1:30pm or 2:00pm.

Brutus

Referee
I can't believe there were dickheads ringing up Sydney sports shows last night, complaining that the all-Victorian prelim final wasn't live into Sydney on Ch 7 and that they had to wait until 9.30pm to watch.

Do these f**ktards know that they could've watched the tripe on Main Event?

Poor old league fans in Melbourne would kill for such a luxury.

beercoaster

Juniors
If another network got the rights would they have a different mantra about showing the game down there?
Probably not but if they had a 'main event' type arrangment that would be a step forward.

Bricey

Juniors
I wonder if this means us poor bastards in Melb will get some decent League coverage (Im not even fussed if its only 2 hour delay or so)

emailed freeview in regards to national feed for digitally offset channels.

Will post as soon as i get a responce....

..assuming i get one!

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I was in Melbourne on the weekend and was fine with resorting to watching the Tigers v Raiders game on ch 9 at (advertised as) 11pm when the AFL game was over and they'd finished they're post-game talk crap.

BUT ch 9 was showing this ridiculous Dame Edna show. It is a f**king disgrace! This show was on well well after 11pm and I had to run and try and find a bar that had Fox.

Channel 9 is a disgrace... The AFL game was completely finished and they're showing Dame Edna!

Evenflow

Bench
^ it has nothing to do with Melbourne.

It's Channel 9 Melbourne.

No, it's David Gallop and his cronies who allowed Channel 9 to do what they damn well please with the televising of our game. I hate Channel 9 with a passion for many reasons but at the same time i can't blame them for looking after their own commercial interests. Though i can and do blame the only people who deserve it and that's the one's who negotiated the tv rights deal. I mean what did people expect when the powers that be put a clause in the contract that Ch 9 only had to play games in Melbourne by midnight? Did you actually expect them to air it head to head against the AFL? lol

Demetriou might be an arrogant c**k sucker but he knows how to get maximum tv exposure out of his game regardless of the terrible ratings up north. He stipulated to all bidders that if they aren't prepared to show the games live or near live then they'll give the right to someone who will. League ratings in Melbourne for the most part won't be any better than what they are in Sydney if we can get it shown live or near live down here but at the very least it gives the game every possible chance to be exposed to much more people who might just become converts which is near impossible now when it's shown at midnight.

I have to laugh when the usual dickheads around here ridicule and carry on about the poor tv ratings for the AFL up north when at the same time we can't even get our games televised down here before midnight. I'd much prefer to have 60-100k watch in prime time (as average as that number is) than have two tenths of f**k all watching when most people are either in bed or out somewhere.