What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine Screws Melbourne again

meltiger

First Grade
I know. I ask myself why the NRL even bothered with that joint. Perhaps another NRL team in Melbourne's AFL heartland would be the answer - more rivalry :lol:

There is more than 4 million people here, even a niche section of the community = more subscriptions = more tv rights money.

We don't need to take over the city for a venture to be successfull mate.

Interestingly, I have a Tigers jersey at work today, plently of people wanted to talk about the game "Is Benji going to play" etc etc

So the people aren't as ignorant of the game as the media may portray to northerners.

meltiger

First Grade
& if anyone in Melbourne wants to watch the game live and avoid the legions watching the AFL prelim - Limerick Arms in Sth Melbourne on Clarendon St will be showing the game live (I assume the same for tomorrow's game too)

Coaster

Bench
It is all they know.
Unlike Qld and NSW people that have had a choice of the 2 codes for decades, Victorians are not given the choice, they are blanketed with only 1 sport.

NO OTHER SPORTING EVENT IS HELD IN Victoria while the AFL is on.

The F1's, Golf, Tennis, Horse racing, Cricket, ect do not compete with the AFL. If you are flooded with 1 thing over and over for 100 years, you will slowly be brainwashed and follow it. Only a very small number of people in Victoria have the willpower to resist it.

It is like asking an Asian if they like Rice or Pasta.

The NRL in Victoria is a CHOICE that should be made available to Victorians, but the AFL is acting like a Mafia IMO, they persuade the Government, the police force, the Tv Stations, and the population they are the only code in Victoria.

The AFL got there hands inside Nine, when Eddie was appointed, they have not let it go, for Nine to have access to players and clubs and footage of the games, WHEN THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS TO THE AFL, stinks to me like a non compete agreement IMO.

The only way the NRL will ever get a "fair go" in Victoria, is if there is a commission into the whole structure, starting at the top. Until then the group called the "AFL" will continue to manipulate regulations to suit there agenda, using massive TV deals and record profits to BUY prime real estate like stadiums. And the cycle will continue .

Doomednow

Bench
so if less than 1% will not be watching AFL, then you hardly have any ratings to gain, so again I ask, what's to lose?

I think the logic is that there is something to lose and that is ratings for the league game.

Its about maximising ratings where they can. The AFL is going to outrate everything they put on, and sports fan in Victoriania if made to choose between league and AFL will watch the AFL. By pushing the league game back to a later timeslot they can potentially pick up those sports fans who are finished with the AFL and no longer have to choose between the two. They can watch both and channel 9, which knows it can't compete with AFL, maximises its potential audience.

Coaster

Bench
I think the logic is that there is something to lose and that is ratings for the league game.

Its about maximising ratings where they can. The AFL is going to outrate everything they put on, and sports fan in Victoriania if made to choose between league and AFL will watch the AFL. By pushing the league game back to a later timeslot they can potentially pick up those sports fans who are finished with the AFL and no longer have to choose between the two. They can watch both and channel 9, which knows it can't compete with AFL, maximises its potential audience.

Explain to me why Nine did not show the SOO3 live into Melbourne, when it was not up against anything AFL related, yet 2 nights before showed a LIVE Celebrity game of AFL in prime time.

I do not buy the argument that a TV station would willingly concede a prime time slot, to win a Midnight slot. The fact is that with a game like the SOO there would be already primed advertisers such as Harvey Norman ect, and would have paid more money to the Station if the game was shown live into a market as large as Melbourne.

Nine concede the time slot to gain access to those Celebrity matches and players and clubs of the AFL, to boost there rating in shows such as the AFL Footyshow, and all the other shows they air on AFL, Bounce of the Ball, Sunday AFL show ect. They are willingly holding League, so to get a slice of the AFL product, and that is against the law.

What is the “use it or lose it” scheme?
The previous Federal Government introduced the concept of “use it or lose it” rules for sports on the anti-siphoning list in 2007 to ensure that broadcasters are showing the events they acquire and that listed sports are not being “hoarded”.
http://www.keepsportfree.com.au/Content_Common/pg-FAQ.seo

Zigwaa

Bench
Same here in SA. No choice given, AFL or get illegal imparja from NT, I'm looking into doing that.

Packy

Bench
Pretty much forces people to illegal streams. I can't imagine this is in the best interests of anyone and I can't see how they don't have a solution for this issue.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
at least we have an live viewing alternative to channel 9 for next saturday's semi final with dragons vs tigs/raiders..

and i think last year's grand final was the ultimate insult... they screened the match live into melbourne... and melbourne of course 'won' the game...

but channel 9 stopped the feed straight after the game finished, so the melbourne storm fans did not get to see the celebrations or the trophy being lifted...

f**king criminal.

age.s

First Grade
so if less than 1% will not be watching AFL, then you hardly have any ratings to gain, so again I ask, what's to lose?

That's not his point. His point is that if you're a sport lover, living in Melbourne you're going to be watching the AFL. If you hate sport you're more likely to want to watch Dirty Dancing than Rugby League so they're shooting at a different market.

All the more reason not to live in Melbourne I guess.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
That's not his point. His point is that if you're a sport lover, living in Melbourne you're going to be watching the AFL. If you hate sport you're more likely to want to watch Dirty Dancing than Rugby League so they're shooting at a different market.

All the more reason not to live in Melbourne I guess.

the assumption that "if you like sport, you'll watch whatever is on" is completely wrong.

i live in melbourne and i love sport. i'm one of the most sport mad people you'll meet. but i won't watch a sport i have no interest in...

it's like saying "ooh, you like beer? here, have some ethanol"

meltiger

First Grade
Same here in SA. No choice given, AFL or get illegal imparja from NT, I'm looking into doing that.

Are you in Adelaide itself, or somewhere regional?

If Adelaide, assuming it still exists, it may be worthwhile asking the sports bar in the city if they get Imparja.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
& if anyone in Melbourne wants to watch the game live and avoid the legions watching the AFL prelim - Limerick Arms in Sth Melbourne on Clarendon St will be showing the game live (I assume the same for tomorrow's game too)

Thanks for that, might have to check it out.

Zigwaa

Bench

If Adelaide, assuming it still exists, it may be worthwhile asking the sports bar in the city if they get Imparja.

Yeah I'm in Adelaide. The Rosemont in Hindley st in the city gets Imparja so i've been in there last week to watch. Just hard to fit around other things, going into the only pub that has it.

Haynzy

First Grade

The sports bar at the hilton shows NRL but i'm not sure if they have Imparja.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Take a look at the GF viewing figures for Vic for last year. Now come back and tell me the casual sports fan in Vic has no interest in watching RL!

What Ch9 did last year in cutting off the presentation was the ultimate insult and that alone would be enough for me to tell them to go and take a flying frick fat the next negotiations. NRL is the number 1 sports TV product, if they want to treat it with such disresepect and disdain they can go and get.....

Bricey

Juniors
I will soon get my answer in regards to national direct feed for digital offset channels

http://freeview.com.au/news/view.aspx?newsId=52

Freeview Welcomes Nine's Gem!

14 September 2010
Freeview, Australia’s free digital television service, has warmly welcomed Nine Network’s announcement that its new channel, GEM, will be officially launched on September 26th.

GEM is Nine’s third digital channel and will target women over 35 and grocery buyers, screening a mix of new content, classic comedies, cherished drama series, all-time favourite movies, and all of Nine’s sport coverage in High Definition.

Nine’s confirmation of its plans for GEM marks the ninth new digital channel to be announced to the Australian market in less than two years.

This would also mean that 9 wont cut to the news and leave off the last 3 overs in the cricket!

parano1a

Juniors
Take a look at the GF viewing figures for Vic for last year. Now come back and tell me the casual sports fan in Vic has no interest in watching RL!

Of course Victorians will watch the Storm in a GF. But Dragons v Roosters (or whoever)? No thanks. Why would the casual sports fan all of a sudden care about these teams with players they've never heard of, whose games are normally shown about 1am?

Junior Masterchef will beat it by about 600,000 viewers.

Last edited: