What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine stands down Phil Gould

bartman

Immortal
Standing Gould down is one of the more sensible decisions Channel 9 have made of late.

He spoke to David Gallop like he was a piece of sh*t.

If Gould wants respect as a media interviewer he has to learn to give the person he is interviewing respect no matter how much he disagrees with or dislikes the person he is interviewing.

Criminals get interrogated and harrassed not the CEO of the NRL.

Personally I'm surprised Gallop let the interview proceed to it's conclusion.

We may now get some decent debate and discussion on Thursday night instead of an agenda based Gould hijacking the debate for his selfish reasons and trying to be the star of the night.

I hope this is the catalyst for the end of Gould's media career.

His use by date was 10 years ago.
Well said.

You don't get anywhere in media by acting like a bully, least of all getting people to want to be guests on your shows!

Gould was too clever for himself this time. And may well have lost his TV career in the process - he was already moved from Sunday's shows earlier in the year, wasn't he?

Eels Dude

Coach
Sterlo would be an excellent choice to front that section of the show. He's been absent from the usual footy show stuff for a while, and can come in clean and be credible asking the hard questions. He would also give Gallop a chance to answer, which is what (most) people want to hear, if they tune in.

Gould should be giving himself upper cuts.

Sterlo only returned on occasions to the Footy Show this season solely for the fact he was going to be used only as a serious commentator, interviewer etc. I don't think he'd have any problems asking tough questions and having his say, and he will do so very credibly without going off the boil. As long as the other guys (Johns, Harragon) there don't try to butt in and sweet talk everything, and turn it into a joke like they usually do it should be very interesting television.

Razor

Coach
An absolute disgrace by Nine and the NRL(if they were the ones who demanded it). There was nothing wrong with Gould on MMM. Gallop's answers were total bullsh*t. If you get given total bullsh*t answers the interviewer should go in and tell them that. Not be a softcock and suck up to the interviewee so you don't hurt his feelings.

Gould was too clever for himself this time. And may well have lost his TV career in the process - he was already moved from Sunday's shows earlier in the year, wasn't he?

From the Sunday Roast yes and put back on 2 weeks later after a barrage of complaints that he was taken off.

lucablight

First Grade
Standing Gould down is one of the more sensible decisions Channel 9 have made of late.

He spoke to David Gallop like he was a piece of sh*t.

If Gould wants respect as a media interviewer he has to learn to give the person he is interviewing respect no matter how much he disagrees with or dislikes the person he is interviewing.

Criminals get interrogated and harrassed not the CEO of the NRL.

Personally I'm surprised Gallop let the interview proceed to it's conclusion.

We may now get some decent debate and discussion on Thursday night instead of an agenda based Gould hijacking the debate for his selfish reasons and trying to be the star of the night.

I hope this is the catalyst for the end of Gould's media career.

His use by date was 10 years ago.

I thought it was a great piece of radio. I'm sick of rhetoric and spin so I was rather amused to see a PR person have the heat applied for once instead of the usual soft questions. It's not like he personally attacked Gallop and he did make some good points even though it was rather brash about it. Can you tell me what agenda Gould was trying to further here?

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
Ahh what an exciting night of talking each other up it will be. Will this be just the regular guys asking questions or the stupid 4 people thing they do some weeks or a full state of the game thing like they have done in the past with the Audience of coaches and managers and other people who can actually ask some real questions?

The Informer

Juniors
All Gould did, with some emotion was say and speak what most people feel.

Like all of us he has plenty of faults, but one thing for sure is he actually cares about the game and has been but the lone ranger in being prepared to push important issues that for the good of the game have to be asked.

Some here should wake up to the News agenda that has been tipped on Gould for some time. It's the same agenda that's been tipped on you as game supporters for the last 10 yrs or more. And Gould didn't agree with what SBW did, as reported by News, he stated he didn't and his own disappointemnt but he stated that given the management of the game in avoiding the key problems he wasn't surprised.

Anyone read anything to do with Super League in the News Ltd papers today? Oh, no, wonder why. Is that the elephant in the room? of course it is.

Until the game gets independent ownership and management and some honest disclosure over the income and funding of the game, then the game will just continue to go backwards.

Gould and independent jurnos like him right now deserve as much support as we the public and supporter can give them. These issues have to be asked, pushed, and deal with, the bullsh*te and agendas of News exposed after all the damage that has been done, and hopefully some independent ownership of the game by the game.

Eels Dude

Coach
An absolute disgrace by Nine and the NRL(if they were the ones who demanded it). There was nothing wrong with Gould on MMM. Gallop's answers were total bullsh*t. If you get given total bullsh*t answers the interviewer should go in and tell them that. Not be a softcock and suck up to the interviewee so you don't hurt his feelings.

From the Sunday Roast yes and put back on 2 weeks later after a barrage of complaints that he was taken off.

David Gallop has the right choose who he speaks to and gets interviewed by. It may look bad for him if he refuses certain interviews, however he's under no obligation to appear on the Footy Show or on Triple M. Triple M will probably lose out in the end, because he probably won't be willing to speak to them live on air again if Gould is present. That looks bad for their credibility, and Nine obviously don't want to put themselves in the same position.

Is anyone really surprised that so many people refuse to talk to Ray Hadley on his program? Gould shot himself in the foot, and should accept responsiblity for that.

Inferno

Coach
Gould came across like a moron, he covered too broad an area, on unrelated topics and then never gave Gallop the opportunity to answer.

I honestly think this interview was more about getting his OWN opinion heard than anything David Gallop had to say. How is that of any benefit to rugby league players, fans, administrators etc.

alexc

Now Thursday night will be another dud footy show. Maybe johns can ask Gallop to drink cows blood, that will be hilarious. Chief can take Gallop to a childrens hospital and tell everyone how there are people in the world doing it tough, they should perhaps even put a Coldplay song on as the background music. Laurie Daily and Ikin can probably suggest that 'bodies in motion' is the answer to the Union money problem.

Its a f**ken shame that Fatty will probably be the only one asking the hard questions, hopefully sterlo can save us.

f**k me dead channel 9 and newsltd.

innsaneink

Referee
Gould came across like a moron, he covered too broad an area, on unrelated topics and then never gave Gallop the opportunity to answer.

I honestly think this interview was more about getting his OWN opinion heard than anything David Gallop had to say. How is that of any benefit to rugby league players, fans, administrators etc.

Im sure listening to himself ...with hindsight, he'd probably wish he did it a bit more calmly.

Anger overtakes logic and rationale

Kiki

First Grade
wait what....hes been stood down from the footy show this week or hes been fired forever??

pls god dont let him be fired i love him and rabs commentating together.

WHAT IS GOING ON

is this the apocalypse??

Big Pete

Referee
I was wondering the same thing. It appears he's just being stood down for the Thursday night Footy Show.

This better be the case and despite all the rumblings and ramblings from fans on Gould each and everyone must admit he offers more than the majority of presenters in the NRL in terms of idea's.

Kiki

First Grade
i know right. i mean sometimes he can get a bit OTT but mostly hes really entertaining to listen to and i think he really adds something to the games i watch. i would seriously be devo if he has been fired.

sass

Juniors
I just can't believe what an overreaction this is.

TODD MCKENNEY IS STILL ON THE RADIO YOU KNOW.

jesus.

ps I still love you gouldy!