What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine stands down Phil Gould

bartman

Immortal
I hope Gould stays on the footy calls, they need guys like he and Sterlo to add an sense of analysis to proceedings. There are few others in the commentary ranks... actually no-one?

But I could do with a break from the overly opinionated panel show version of Gould. There's a guy who sits behind me at games who'd do that ratbag know-it-all role on a TV panel just as good as Gould, I think he's a taxi driver...

sass

Juniors
it's true gouldy on his high horse can be absolutely punishing. especially if anyone mentions the video ref.

but I love him despite it. it's a mystery.

bartman

Immortal
Must be the pheremones, sifting out into the lounge room through the plasma screen...

Havent read the whole thread but John Stanley mentioned on 2UE this arvo that Gould was never meant to be on the footy show this thursday.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I just listened to that interview, and Gould has made a royal fool of himself. He ranted about 50 different sub topics and expected an answer to all of them in one sentence from Gallop. He isn't fit to interview anyone. In that "interview" he was absolutely ridiculous, and an embarrassment to the fans he attempts to represent.

Titanic

First Grade
I don't see the connection between poorly advised footballers breaking morally binding contracts and media personalities ambushing CEO's.

One thing for sure is I don't support either. The whole situation smacks of 1996 with players grabbing what they can and the game be buggered.

To that person who said we may as well be in China ... well I am and at the moment I'm glad I am because this whole thing just friggin' stinks of greed. The fabric of our game again gets torn by the very people who want to profit from it ... barking sphincters the bloody lot of them.

Eels Dude

Coach
in the sense that apparently being discovered with drugs isn't as damaging to the corporate image as what gouldy did.

It's not about corporate image.

Gould had previously been warned about his negative comments on Nine in regards to rugby league, he had only just been brought back after unofficially being "suspended", and now he does the same thing on live radio. Nine obviously don't want him on television as they fear his comments are putting rugby league in a bad light and thus affecting their ratings and sponsorship.

McKenny's actions aren't really related to his role as a broadcaster, they're not ideal, they executives at MIX obviously feel that it's not affecting his performance and thus they're in their right not to stand him down.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
This is a f**king joke.

Gus should not of been on MMM - should of taken his shot at Mr SL on Thursday ffs.

Now thursday is just gonna be a show where gallop and matt johns are sitting round playing cards.

scuzzi

Juniors
I'd love to see Wayne Bennett, Gallop, Gould and John Ribot on some forum type thing on the footy show. Would definately improve ratings.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I listened to the interview I thought Gould went over the top a bit it was as if it was all David Gallop's fault that SBW did a runner and went to France.

If anyone was to be blamed for this SBW is someone who convinced him to take the offer and run, and of course SBW.

I understand what Gould means of course the games not going well and we keep getting postive answers from Gallop and no plan.

However it is a tough job in the NRL, as Ray Warren mentioned later after the interview its a tough job and you cant pull something out of the sleeve just like that.

He shouldve left his rant to the Footy Show, wouldve boosted so many TV ratings, but still poor form from Ch 9.

Of course the game is being run by Ch 9, so it doesnt surprise me that theyve stood him down.

Another poor effort from Ch 9 interviewing Nasser and allowed him to call Geyer a dope, one of their collegues on Ch 9.

There's no way it will be successful on Thursday cause idiots like Daley, Harragon, Johns cant come up with an answer themselves they just sit on the fence and give the "well, look it is going well, but let me say something". And Weilder will suck up to SBW, and just make a name for himself on TV cause he thinks he head of the top story.

At least with Gould, Geyer and Vossy they are simply straight out.

If the game was going so well Gould wouldnt be so negative.

Azkatro

First Grade
I listened to the interview I thought Gould went over the top a bit it was as if it was all David Gallop's fault that SBW did a runner and went to France.

If anyone was to be blamed for this SBW is someone who convinced him to take the offer and run, and of course SBW.

I understand what Gould means of course the games not going well and we keep getting postive answers from Gallop and no plan.

However it is a tough job in the NRL, as Ray Warren mentioned later after the interview its a tough job and you cant pull something out of the sleeve just like that.

He shouldve left his rant to the Footy Show, wouldve boosted so many TV ratings, but still poor form from Ch 9.

Of course the game is being run by Ch 9, so it doesnt surprise me that theyve stood him down.

Another poor effort from Ch 9 interviewing Nasser and allowed him to call Geyer a dope, one of their collegues on Ch 9.

There's no way it will be successful on Thursday cause idiots like Daley, Harragon, Johns cant come up with an answer themselves they just sit on the fence and give the "well, look it is going well, but let me say something". And Weilder will suck up to SBW, and just make a name for himself on TV cause he thinks he head of the top story.

At least with Gould, Geyer and Vossy they are simply straight out.

If the game was going so well Gould wouldnt be so negative.
Well summed up mate. Phil Gould got carried away. He's still fighting the Superleague war, poor old coot. Totally lost the plot during that interview, and didn't achieve anything. It just sounded like listening to a grumpy old taxi driver with an axe to grind.

Although saying Gould is "straight out" is a stretch of the imagination ..

Once Dead

Bench
Well summed up mate. Phil Gould got carried away. He's still fighting the Superleague war, poor old coot. Totally lost the plot during that interview, and didn't achieve anything. It just sounded like listening to a grumpy old taxi driver with an axe to grind.

Although saying Gould is "straight out" is a stretch of the imagination ..

The Super League war ended but the effects have never gone away and have been getting more prominent and debilitating as time passes.......as long as News Limited is in power and suffocating the life out of the game via its profit at ANY cost approach, the war is NOT over.

Wether you believe Gould buggered the MMM interview or not (and he did), the handling of the outcome by News lackey, Gallop and nein is worse as it shows that not only are they in bed together but are too scared to answer the tough questions.
Warning to Roy Masters. You may find yourself banned from attending press conferences in the future.

Last edited:

Tipster

Bench
Good move the guy was a complete d*ckhead last night and whilst I think Gallop is a twat, he never allowed him to answer a question before cutting in which was completely disrespectful.

Sterlo and Vossy will show far more composure.

Terry Towel

Juniors
Is Gus the only one in the media prepared to stand up for the game?

Gallop it seems only wants to deal with yes men and provide platitudes rather than answering the tough questions on the future of the game.

The banning of dissenters so the public is only presented the official party line is something out of communist Russia. Our game is truly in crisis.

Chook

First Grade
Gould's an egotistical idiot! His ranting has become predictable and boring. Gus not only reads but writes his own press.

Chook.

Latest posts