What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Merritt Awards for City Selectors

Garts

Bench
Hayne has a better all round game.

Sure Merritt can score tries but so could Scott Donald.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Danish said:
Besides that, Mundine did get a shot at NSW and failed miserably. Deer in the headlights stuff. THAT is the reason he never played rep footy again (that, and being the 3rd best NSW 5/8 couldn't have helped)

He didn't play Origin cuz he went to boxing the next year...

yobbo84

Coach
Garts said:

:lol::lol: Thanks, I needed a laugh... Hayne could not, and has not, scored the tries, pulled off the hits, or created the opportunites Merrit has over the last 18 months... LOL.

Garts

Bench
He was good last year and showed more than Merritt imo.

Then again maybe im racist and dont like blacks, lol

Wilco

Juniors
Garts said:

Yeah that is true, I hear that the City defensive coach has a set play where he needs a defender to bite someone in the tackle. :crazy:

Wilco

Juniors
Nook said:
Sorry, Nathan - it's actually because they don't like nuffies coming through the representative ranks.

He wants to play rep footy, great. So does everyone.

The trick is to be better than the rest. He isn't. Much easier to blame race than be honest to yourself about your own ability.

If you aren't good enough, you don't make it. The trick is, stick your head down, become a better player - and if that still isn't good enough, cop it sweet. Guys like Benny Galea and any number of others have been slogging there guts out for much longer and to much better effect than Nathan Merrit. They haven't played the high level rep stuff because, when it comes down to it, others are better - but you don't hear them making excuses for themselves.

What an incredibly dopey thing to say.

My god, I have never seen anyone be so completely and utterly wrong in a single post before. You deserve an award.

Name another winger who has scored 29 tries in their past 31 matches whilst playing in a team that has lost far more than 50% of those very matches. Nathan Merritt is a winger, his job is what? To score tries! He also does not let in many tries as you have suggested (with only 5 tries conceded down his side of the field this season). Sounds like he is a bloody good winger to me.

As for Benny Galea, a good player, but much the same as hundreds of other workhorse players who don't rate a mention. If your going to use the whole "work harder" argument then surely Alan Tongue rates a mention before Ben Galea?

Nathan obviously got some bad advice from his Aboriginal Liason Officer in Anthony Mundine and his comments were stupid, but I do believe that they have been blown completely out of proportion to what they were originally (is this not what the media does?).

how can merritt be a shoe in if skinny byrne outsprinted him to win the game on sunday, and we all know why byrne is famous for!

Penance

Juniors
douglasallen91 said:
how can merritt be a shoe in if skinny byrne outsprinted him to win the game on sunday, and we all know why byrne is famous for!
umm, did you not watch the game? He had a head start..

Garts said:
He was good last year and showed more than Merritt imo.

Then again maybe im racist and dont like blacks, lol

Showed more than Merritt.You have to be joking.Merritt was in a team that came last and still posted the most tries,and Hayne was in a semi final team with a decent halfback.

johns_reds

First Grade
Dkos said:
My god, I have never seen anyone be so completely and utterly wrong in a single post before. You deserve an award.

Name another winger who has scored 29 tries in their past 31 matches whilst playing in a team that has lost far more than 50% of those very matches. Nathan Merritt is a winger, his job is what? To score tries! He also does not let in many tries as you have suggested (with only 5 tries conceded down his side of the field this season). Sounds like he is a bloody good winger to me.

No, your post is the worst post, how can you compare his attacking against defence when you compare 29 tires out of 31 games and 5 tries conceded out of 7 games?

how many tries has been conceded down his side of the field in the last 31 games? probably hell a lot more then what he has scored.

johns_reds said:
No, your post is the worst post, how can you compare his attacking against defence when you compare 29 tires out of 31 games and 5 tries conceded out of 7 games?

how many tries has been conceded down his side of the field in the last 31 games? probably hell a lot more then what he has scored.

No where as many as George Carmont.;-)

Nook

Bench
DKos,

:lol: An award huh? Thanks champ.

Well argued! Scoring tries is good. Merritt is a good winger. He's not the best winger in the game, or close to it, but he deserves to be in contention for the minor rep teams - and he was.

As for Benny Galea, a good player, but much the same as hundreds of other workhorse players who don't rate a mention. If your going to use the whole "work harder" argument then surely Alan Tongue rates a mention before Ben Galea?

The whole point, Dkos, was that Galea is an example of any number of other players who are quite talented and have been slogging away for years without getting a look in at the big rep stuff. Years. Merritt has had a couple of good seasons, that's fantastic, good for him. But if he thinks that gives him the right to come out and attribute his non selction at rep level to the colour of his skin then he's a fool.

Nathan obviously got some bad advice from his Aboriginal Liason Officer in Anthony Mundine and his comments were stupid, but I do believe that they have been blown completely out of proportion to what they were originally (is this not what the media does?).

Yes they were stupid and yes they probably have been blown out of proportion.

voltron

Juniors
hahaha
but u dont see anyone complaining that he (carmont) wasnt selected
u dont even see many people complain that he isnt in FG atm.....
so i dont see your point

best winger? best winger for souths.
but having been on a losing team for so long, it is inevitable that he has let in alot of tries
and selectors obviously didnt think he was worth the risk

Wilco

Juniors
Nook said:
DKos,

:lol: An award huh? Thanks champ.

Well argued! Scoring tries is good. Merritt is a good winger. He's not the best winger in the game, or close to it, but he deserves to be in contention for the minor rep teams - and he was.

The whole point, Dkos, was that Galea is an example of any number of other players who are quite talented and have been slogging away for years without getting a look in at the big rep stuff. Years. Merritt has had a couple of good seasons, that's fantastic, good for him. But if he thinks that gives him the right to come out and attribute his non selction at rep level to the colour of his skin then he's a fool.

Yes they were stupid and yes they probably have been blown out of proportion.

My main problem was that you called him a nuffie. You seem to have completely changed your tune since then. Who do you rate as the best winger in the competition (just out of curiosity)?

My point with the Galea thing, is that there are far superior players than Galea, even those in his "genre" (the example of Alan Tongue). But these guys will never get a look in because they are echelons behind players with the ability of Hindmarsh, Ryan, O'Donnell and players of that elk.

smeghead

Bench
Wow an in form player not getting picked over people who are their on reputation alone. Boy thats a big suprise.

This must have never happened to anyone before who wasn't an aboriginal.

Smart move Merrit. You may just have waved goodbye to any rep chances. Heres a hint calling people racist isn't endearing.

Wilco

Juniors
johns_reds said:

The fact is that we don't know that statistic, Nathan Merritt is a winger, scoring trys is his job. So the 31 from 29 is directly attributed to his OWN ability. Defence is, and always has been, a team effort. So if more than 31 have been scored down that side in the past 31 games then I think you'll find that most of them won't be the fault of Merritt. I do believe that Merritt is one of, if not the best, one on one defender in the entire side.

Also, "his side of the field" implies a total of about 25-30 metres, the winger has to look after 5 maybe 10 metres of this.

johns_reds said:
maybe the form winger but certainty not the most talented

To score more tries than any other player in a sh*t team that came stone motherless last,and you reckon he is not the most talented. FFS :?

Latest posts