What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Bazal

Post Whore
Mate, my whole family moved from a dairy farm just outside of Lismore to find a new life in Sydney. Not because we wanted to, but we had no choice. I was 10 at the time. As a family, we adapted, though I can't say I enjoyed the transition until I left high school. These days, my siblings are spread between Canberra, Sydney and the Central Coast of NSW. I've elected to head to QLD because families get extended and well, house prices being half of Sydney and all.

But that's not relevant to anybody else's situation.

Especially here, where Eele has already said he's looking nearby because of his wife's work.

I've been stuck in Canberra for years for various reasons and I'll probably be stuck for the foreseeable future. Not everyone can just up and move, that's the point.

Bazal

Post Whore
They don't need sparky's on the south coast?

They don't need much of anything on the South Coast. It's incredibly hard to find work down there, has been for years. I looked at moving down there when my marriage went to shit. Couldn't do it, no real work.

Eelogical

Referee
But that's not relevant to anybody else's situation.

Especially here, where Eele has already said he's looking nearby because of his wife's work.

I've been stuck in Canberra for years for various reasons and I'll probably be stuck for the foreseeable future. Not everyone can just up and move, that's the point.
They can if necessity dictates. You state you have been stuck in Canberra as opposed to living a life and enjoying the life there. I'm just stating that nobody has to feel that they have to be confined to the life they have because of X or Y.

Bazal

Post Whore
They can if necessity dictates. You state you have been stuck in Canberra as opposed to living a life and enjoying the life there. I'm just stating that nobody has to feel that they have to be confined to the life they have because of X or Y.

Well let's use my example, to a point. It's not that I don't enjoy Canberra, it's just that I've lived so many more enjoyable places that I miss aspects of life in Sydney, for example.

Originally I was "stuck" here because of my wife. Both sides of her family have been here since Yarralumla was farmland. Her entire family are here, and I almost genuinely mean entire. All her mums 4 siblings, and all her dads 8 siblings, are here. Her parents are here, her grandparents are/were here, her own siblings are here. She went to the same school as her friends from Kindy to 12, and then they all went to one of two universities ten km apart. She had never lived anywhere else and had zero desire to do so.

So what do I do? Just up and leave against her wishes? Leave without her?

It's a nice thought, the idea that we can just move somewhere else for a clean break, but it's not realistic in many cases.

Eelogical

Referee
They don't need much of anything on the South Coast. It's incredibly hard to find work down there, has been for years. I looked at moving down there when my marriage went to shit. Couldn't do it, no real work.
All I'm saying is that there are opportunities for those who want to pursue them. I'm in the 'older' category of the workforce. Granted, I don't need to find work at the moment but I reckon I could find work if I wanted to.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Don't confine yourself to Sydney. As great as the place is, there's a big ol' country outside of Sydney. You just need to broaden your horizons.

We considered moving to Queensland a few years ago, but my finding work made it difficult; there are trade centres up north, but far fewer than in Sydney...

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's the shitty part about living in a unit complex - you don't know who's above or below you and there's not much buffer if they're merkins.

Before we bought our house, the missus and I rented a brand new unit in nth parramatta... It was really nice, close to church street food strip, close to everything really. We loved it.... Until... Until a group of early 20-somethings moved in directly below us. They were typical of that age group I suppose, but the smoke from the cigarettes and bongs wafting up past our balcony and bedroom window became too much. We were 4th floor, they were 3rd... And then when you looked over the balcony to the garden bed on the ground floor, you could see where they were throwing empty bottles and cans etc... We were lucky enough to know that it was short term, but I always thought, imagine if you had bought one of these brand new units to live in, and they were really f**king nice units, a pool in the complex and all, but imagine you spent all that money intending to live there for good and then you're surrounded by rentals occupied by f**king trash tossing merkins and Bob Marley and the Wailers living underneath you!! You'd be livid....

We usually have one of two issues:

(1) people in thr same complex, but two houses down, being dicks

(2) people in the complex across the road being dicks.

Tonight, it's option 2...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
All I'm saying is that there are opportunities for those who want to pursue them. I'm in the 'older' category of the workforce. Granted, I don't need to find work at the moment but I reckon I could find work if I wanted to.
You could get a job as me and Gary’s driver, the pay would suck and there would be no benefits besides the odd road trip to Yamba. Think about it.......

Kornstar

Coach
Well let's use my example, to a point. It's not that I don't enjoy Canberra, it's just that I've lived so many more enjoyable places that I miss aspects of life in Sydney, for example.

Originally I was "stuck" here because of my wife. Both sides of her family have been here since Yarralumla was farmland. Her entire family are here, and I almost genuinely mean entire. All her mums 4 siblings, and all her dads 8 siblings, are here. Her parents are here, her grandparents are/were here, her own siblings are here. She went to the same school as her friends from Kindy to 12, and then they all went to one of two universities ten km apart. She had never lived anywhere else and had zero desire to do so.

So what do I do? Just up and leave against her wishes? Leave without her?

It's a nice thought, the idea that we can just move somewhere else for a clean break, but it's not realistic in many cases.

Agreed! I can transfer my job to Newcastle with ease as there is an office up there. I could sell my place here and buy something half the price on 3 times the land and not have a mortgage at all.

My wife wouldn't have to work, we could afford trips overseas every year (ok we can afford that now too, but bigger more ridiculous holidays) and live a pretty generous life wealth wise.

Problem? The wife won't leave this shit hole and i am stuck paying a high mortgage, travelling an hour each way to work and just generally hating every second of living in this pile of shit, congested city.

I wish it was that easy to get the f**k out of here!

hindy111

Post Whore
Agreed! I can transfer my job to Newcastle with ease as there is an office up there. I could sell my place here and buy something half the price on 3 times the land and not have a mortgage at all.

My wife wouldn't have to work, we could afford trips overseas every year (ok we can afford that now too, but bigger more ridiculous holidays) and live a pretty generous life wealth wise.

Problem? The wife won't leave this shit hole and i am stuck paying a high mortgage, travelling an hour each way to work and just generally hating every second of living in this pile of shit, congested city.

I wish it was that easy to get the f**k out of here!

But you are fortunate enough to be able to work and pay a mortgage mate. Dont take that for granted. A lot of people work for min wage and have to rent their while life.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
But you are fortunate enough to be able to work and pay a mortgage mate. Dont take that for granted. A lot of people work for min wage and have to rent their while life.
But you are fortunate enough to have work. Don’t take the for granted. Some people would kill for a job.

Latest posts