What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Bazal

Post Whore
After you consider how dirty it is to make the batteries and fire up the electricity to charge it, we are a long way off having electric cars being greener than the new tech (direct injection) of an internal combustion engine. Should they try to? Yes. Are they there yet? Not even close.

Correct.

Ultimately a Prius is probably worse for the environment than a modern petrol car, in terms of pollutants. But because it's not carbon which is the fad at the moment no merkin cares.

hindy111

Post Whore
Aren't you a sparky? Shouldn't you be abreast of all the insane advances in battery technology for example?

Electrical is very broad. And even though my skill levels are higher then the average electrician my knowledge in solar is minimal. I can do a basic car set up to run a fridge and some lights.

hindy111

Post Whore
I bet old merkins had this lol conversation that motor cars would run out of petrol. You'll never replace the horse.

Jones and his coal mates are using stats that pertain to 240v parked in the garage.

The supercharge stations around the city charge 50% in 20 mins. That will get you about 250km.

In 10 years I suspect that these figures will improve rapidly.

They need tests underload for holidays. Id say tests they do are with minimal weight. I mean imagine christmas every one heading north having to stop after 3 hours and needing 20mins to charge. Chaos.......
Id say they need to be pumping put 500km per charge before people consider them seriously.

Electrical is very broad. And even though my skill levels are higher then the average electrician my knowledge in solar is minimal. I can do a basic car set up to run a fridge and some lights.
I'm higher than average with a 12v globe, 2 bits of wire (any colour) and a car battery. I could probably even jag some kind of photo-voltaic arrangement for that. The rest is a bit beyond me though.

Gronk

Staff member
After you consider how dirty it is to make the batteries and fire up the electricity to charge it, we are a long way off having electric cars being greener than the new tech (direct injection) of an internal combustion engine. Should they try to? Yes. Are they there yet? Not even close.

I saw some merkin on the TV the other day. He had spent $20,000 on solar panels and tesla battery. Old merkin also drove a tesla. Old mate was 70 years old. That’s a false economy in my books.

Gronk

Staff member
They need tests underload for holidays. Id say tests they do are with minimal weight. I mean imagine christmas every one heading north having to stop after 3 hours and needing 20mins to charge. Chaos.......
Id say they need to be pumping put 500km per charge before people consider them seriously.

Most e cars do that now. It’s the price that needs to come down before most people jump on board.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-advice/electric-vehicles-with-the-longest-ranges

hindy111

Post Whore
From my calculations a tesla doing 400km needs about 9hrs at 240v. At current elec prices that about $28 vs $45 in fuel. No oil and id imagine little maintenance.

If had solar on roof of car and lets say 500w panels @ 12v-18v it would need 250hrs hours. So potentially could clock up say 30% free charge a week.
Or have a system at home that shouldn't have much dramas pumpin 2kw and hour and so take 4.5hrs. That would be easy enough to keep battery full.
If they where able to build the bonnet,boot a d roof out of solar penals I reckon could reach 2500w. All of a sudden we are down to about 40 hours. So that would eqaute to 10hrs in sun for 100km of driving without plugging into anything.

Deff the future.

I saw some merkin on the TV the other day. He had spent $20,000 on solar panels and tesla battery. Old merkin also drove a tesla. Old mate was 70 years old. That’s a false economy in my books.
It is but if he's doing his best to help the planet and can afford to do so, then good on him. As misguided as it might be.
I might be a skeptic when it comes to climate change but i would like to breathe clean air and find smog to be less than aesthetic.
Change has to start somewhere i spose.

hindy111

Post Whore

I just imagine it works if solar charges them.... At current costs you save not a lot for what power costs you to charge.
But imagine the cars itself has panels able to give most the charge you need for the day along with having a solar set up at home. Then its effective.

As far as environment goes. What do we do with all the batteries? Are they recycable?

They can make cars far more efficent if like. Most cars in Europe have small turbos and diesels. My dads 1.4ltr cruze turbo get 100k off 5ltrs. No need to have these big cars on road.

strider

Post Whore
From my calculations a tesla doing 400km needs about 9hrs at 240v. At current elec prices that about $28 vs $45 in fuel. No oil and id imagine little maintenance.

If had solar on roof of car and lets say 500w panels @ 12v-18v it would need 250hrs hours. So potentially could clock up say 30% free charge a week.
Or have a system at home that shouldn't have much dramas pumpin 2kw and hour and so take 4.5hrs. That would be easy enough to keep battery full.
If they where able to build the bonnet,boot a d roof out of solar penals I reckon could reach 2500w. All of a sudden we are down to about 40 hours. So that would eqaute to 10hrs in sun for 100km of driving without plugging into anything.

Deff the future.
but i wanna park it in the garage in the shade

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If they where able to build the bonnet,boot a d roof out of solar penals I reckon could reach 2500w.

3 m2 would do it, so very doable, obviously depends on the kva rating of the motor

Electricity Costs for Charging
The fuel efficiency of an all-electric vehicle may be measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) per 100 miles. To calculate the cost per mile of an all-electric vehicle, the cost of electricity (in dollars per kWh) and the efficiency of the vehicle (how much electricity is used to travel 100 miles) must be known. If electricity costs $0.11 per kWh and the vehicle consumes 34 kWh to travel 100 miles, the cost per mile is about $0.04.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_charging_home.html

Bandwagon

Staff member

Deff the future.

From some merkins that might know a little more about it......

For example, the average price for electricity per kilowatt hour (kWh) in Australia is about $0.25 and it takes around 18 kWh to travel 100km in an average EV. So, it will cost approximately $4.50in electricity charges to travel 100km2.

https://www.ergon.com.au/network/smarter-energy/electric-vehicles/charging-your-electric-vehicle

Now to get that kind of cost in fuel @ 1.50 / litre you'll need to be pulling 3 litres per 100km, given 6L/100km is pretty frugal, that's still twice the price.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Yeah, nah.

Maybe if your generating power via a diesel generator, but otherwise, I call bullshit.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah, nah.

Maybe if your generating power via a diesel generator, but otherwise, I call bullshit.

Besides the increased load on existing coal power infrastructure, which realistically is only a problem if every merkin suddenly gets a Tesla or whatever, the batteries themselves are absolutely atrocious.

They are harmful to produce and harmful when disposed of.

strider

Post Whore
like all the shitty light globes they decided we should use for of toxins .... then some f**ker went, "what do we do with the toxic light globes?"

Latest posts