What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm sure it is. But again it comes back to the likelihood point I made earlier.

My point is that it is not rational to want a gun, particularly in the context of the safety discussion we are having. On balance, people are f**ken merkins and shouldn't be trusted.

That's not me being influenced by anything other than my own disdain for the human condition.

Since when did you become such a positive all singing, all dancing believer in the power of people to do the right thing? You don't even trust people to have rights to post sensibly on a forum. When did you start believing that they can be trusted with guns?
The key point is that not being allowed to have guns won't stop some merkins from acquiring guns. These are the merkins that make merkins like myself want guns.

Bazal

Post Whore
The key point is that not being allowed to have guns won't stop some merkins from acquiring guns. These are the merkins that make merkins like myself want guns.

I think the key point is that gun related death statistics in the US indicate to every sane human that giving every merkin guns doesn't work very well.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Exactly - best to deal with facts rather than feelings.
It's not at all. Human beings make all their decisions based on feelings. You knowing the facts about gun ownership and safety make you feel safe so you trot them out. You repeat them to yourself and others. That's what makes you feel safe. But the stats won't help you when you get raped at gunpoint in the comfort of your own home. The stats become irrelevant then.

Risk management isn't just about dealing with the middle of the bell curve. For many people the worst case scenario is just as relevant.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think the key point is that gun related death statistics in the US indicate to every sane human that giving every merkin guns doesn't work very well.
You seem to think that gun related death is the worst thing that can happen to a person. Or worse, that it is the most likely thing that can happen to a gun owner.

Bazal

Post Whore
Well feeling safe is at least as important as being safe. If you don't have a gun you are at the mercy of anyone who does.

Not sure what good "feeling safe" does when everyone around you has a gun...unless you're John Wayne on the draw.

One of your best Pou.

Bandwagon

Staff member
That must be why you don't have a legitimate counter argument.

You haven't made an argument, you have stated an assertion.

My counter assertion is the assertion you made is absurd.

If you wish me to provide reasoning behind it's absurdity, I would respectfully suggest that having made the assertion in the first place, the onus would be upon you to provide some sort of argument to support the assertion you made, at which point I would be happy to add further reasoning.

Bazal

Post Whore
You seem to think that gun related death is the worst thing that can happen to a person. Or worse, that it is the most likely thing that can happen to a gun owner.

And you seem to think that obfuscation is an argument. I never said either of those things.

Although death would be pretty high on the list, wouldn't you agree?

It is quite simply a fact that gun related violence in the USA is out of control. This is because every silly prick can get a gun, even the emo kid at school who's sick of being bullied and thinks a semi-automatic is the solution. When was the last school shooting in Australia?

While we're at it, what do you need a f**king AR-15 for?

Criminals find ways to get guns. But the US catch cry of "I need guns because criminals have them" is a fallacy. Most criminals only shoot other criminals.

I eagerly await a silly response.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah but "feeling safe" in America because you've got a gun probably still doesn't equal "feeling safe" here. And you're actually less safe as well.
I live near a police station in a place without a significant criminal underclass. There is very little violent crime here. But if I lived in a place full of gangsters or other violent crims, or in a rural area miles from the cops or even from the deterrent effect of witnesses, then damn straight I would consider myself safer with a gun. Especially when every merkin knows I probably have one.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You haven't made an argument, you have stated an assertion.

My counter assertion is the assertion you made is absurd.

If you wish me to provide reasoning behind it's absurdity, I would respectfully suggest that having made the assertion in the first place, the onus would be upon you to provide some sort of argument to support the assertion you made, at which point I would be happy to add further reasoning.
I have made my argument through several posts in this thread. If merkins didn't feel safer with guns they wouldn't have them. That's a fact.

Is the 'average person' less safe when they own a gun? According to the stats they are. But nobody is the average person, and I'd suggest the average person who owns a gun is legitimately less safe than average anyway, whether they own a gun or not.

I live near a police station in a place without a significant criminal underclass. There is very little violent crime here. But if I lived in a place full of gangsters or other violent crims, or in a rural area miles from the cops or even from the deterrent effect of witnesses, then damn straight I would consider myself safer with a gun. Especially when every merkin knows I probably have one.
I think you're comparing apples with oranges though. The question is whether you'd feel safer in those areas in Australia without a gun, or in similar areas in America with a gun. I know what I'd choose and I'm confident the stats would clearly show which was safer. Besides, needing a gun around to feel safer is itself an indication that you aren't safe.