What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

It certainly helps us feel safer. But in the off chance you're victimised by some merkin who does have the rare firearm (almost certainly illegal) you won't be caring much for the statistics. The fact he probably acquired such weapon by nefarious means will shed some light on his character while ironically adding further uncertainty to your on-the-spot risk assessment.

there is also a fairly high percentage of gun owners who end up with their own weapon turned on them

it's very easy to say if someone broke into your house you'd shoot them but in the heat of the moment when they are coming at you do you really have what it takes to pull the trigger knowing you could kill someone?

and if you don't that gun is a liability not an asset because the intruder has NO problem using it on you

Gronk

Staff member
You don't think trying to a) consider the deceased and b) separating this crazys motives from other potential crazies who think massacres are the only way to get gun control are good ideas?
Yes Ok benefit of the doubt.

If they do not raise to topic of gun control then the cynicism is justified.

84 Baby

Referee
Yes Ok benefit of the doubt.

If they do not raise to topic of gun control then the cynicism is justified.
They need to discuss it more when they're not just coming off massacres. They need to convince the partialists especially ones like Pou who see these massacres as more reason to have a gun themselves. The NRA just use this to muddy gun control into you can't have any guns rather than you can't have assault rifles

The NRA just use this to muddy gun control into you can't have any guns rather than you can't have assault rifles

except you CAN have assault rifles in some states
they need to forget about gun control (there's way too many out there already) and focus on controlling the ammunition nobody needs thousands of rounds of ammo in their house

Gronk

Staff member
https://www.billoreilly.com/b/Mass-Murder-in-Las-Vegas/851098107399788721.html

upload_2017-10-3_8-59-13.jpeg

Once again, the big downside of American freedom is on gruesome display. A psychotic gunman in Las Vegas has committed the worst mass murder in U. S. history.

64-year-old Stephen Paddock, who lived in Nevada, began firing from a hotel window about 10pm Pacific time last night. His targets were folks attending a music festival below him. When it was all over, more than 50 human beings lay dead, 400 plus wounded. Paddock apparently killed himself as police closed in on him.

The murderer had a number of deadly weapons in his room and you can count on the gun control debate to ramp up.

But having covered scores of gun-related crimes over the years, I can tell you that government restrictions will not stop psychopaths from harming people.

They will find a way.

Public safety demands logical gun laws but the issue is so polarizing and emotional that little will be accomplished as there is no common ground.

The NRA and its supporters want easy access to weapons, while the left wants them banned.

This is the price of freedom. Violent nuts are allowed to roam free until they do damage, no matter how threatening they are.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm actually quite surprised...usually in a gun control debate some drab clueless merkin takes about 45 seconds to mention Switzerland. I suppose we mustn't have many drab clueless hard right posters....

Anyway I mention it now because I've always wondered something. It's patently clear that the US needs stricter gun control, at this point its not even debatable really. But how much does the attitude of the average American play a role in violence like this latest shooting?

Obviously access to guns is an issue, but at the same time I personally don't know of a school shooting in Australia ever (and I might be wrong, I would have paid zero attention to most of the news in the 90s). There's something about Americans that makes them more inclined to shoot people.

I suppose it's a chicken or the egg question in a way. Is it that the saturation of guns over there makes them more inclined to use them, or is the saturation of guns coming from some American psychological trait...

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'm actually quite surprised...usually in a gun control debate some drab clueless merkin takes about 45 seconds to mention Switzerland. I suppose we mustn't have many drab clueless hard right posters....

Anyway I mention it now because I've always wondered something. It's patently clear that the US needs stricter gun control, at this point its not even debatable really. But how much does the attitude of the average American play a role in violence like this latest shooting?

Obviously access to guns is an issue, but at the same time I personally don't know of a school shooting in Australia ever (and I might be wrong, I would have paid zero attention to most of the news in the 90s). There's something about Americans that makes them more inclined to shoot people.

I suppose it's a chicken or the egg question in a way. Is it that the saturation of guns over there makes them more inclined to use them, or is the saturation of guns coming from some American psychological trait...
Careful smuggy.

We are very lucky something hasn't happened in this country recently but that's purely because access is limited.

We are a bunch of impatient merkins. If we had the number of guns per capita of the US etc, I firmly believe that mass shootings would be common place.

Gronk

Staff member

Yes Switzerland always gets a mention when it comes to the gun debate. They have more guns per head etc. yet they don't shoot each other.

You could even say they same thing about Italy and France. They have a liberal attitude to alcohol. It is sold is delis and IIRC kids can consume wine from age 16 if accompanied by an adult. Why do they not have a binge drinking culture among teens ?

Obviously the answer is that some cultures are able to cope with these things and others can't. Nobody in their right mind would suggest that Australian laws relating to alcohol should be softened because there are no problems in France. Likewise guns are not killers because of Switzerland does not work either.

84 Baby

Referee
except you CAN have assault rifles in some states
they need to forget about gun control (there's way too many out there already) and focus on controlling the ammunition nobody needs thousands of rounds of ammo in their house
What I was saying is gun control like ours was focused on assault rifles and the like that are just designed for killing people and it should be the same everywhere. Handguns and hunting rifles aren't solely for killing people, far easier obtainable by the nefarious and, although they'll still do some damage, from a tactical standpoint they're far less lethal. The US could also do with more stringent controls on general gun and ammo purchase but I'd say baby steps with the NRA.

And from Gronk's posted tweets/articles you can already see the NRA/right twist that they're trying to steal your 2nd amendment or they are going to ban people owing butter knives! Most people should realise that the reason 1 person could kill 58 plus in a large open area from a distance is this

BCM%20Carry%20Handle%20AR-15-3.jpg

And there first step in gun control needs to be stopping the public sale of this

84 Baby

Referee
Careful smuggy.

We are very lucky something hasn't happened in this country recently but that's purely because access is limited.

We are a bunch of impatient merkins. If we had the number of guns per capita of the US etc, I firmly believe that mass shootings would be common place.
I think it also comes to population size and stats. They have more crazies, simply because they're are more people. I don't know about India but trust me shit this bad happens in China too

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Trump even rolled back Obama's Executive Order which made it harder to buy a gun for those with mental illness.

===============
Feb 2017

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...ng-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221
Ableist discrimination

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
there is also a fairly high percentage of gun owners who end up with their own weapon turned on them

it's very easy to say if someone broke into your house you'd shoot them but in the heat of the moment when they are coming at you do you really have what it takes to pull the trigger knowing you could kill someone?

and if you don't that gun is a liability not an asset because the intruder has NO problem using it on you
Surely true in some cases. But at least the gun owner had that choice.

Latest posts