What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Trump fears terrorists, but more Americans are shot dead by toddlers

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...muslim-terrorists-gun-violence-america-deaths
How many Americans live in fear of armed toddlers though? About as many live in fear of car accidents or heart disease.

How can people not see the visceral difference between accidental death and the sheer horror of another person wanting to kill you? There is no comparison. Such f**king dumb arguments trotted out by privileged people living in their safe bubble.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm actually quite surprised...usually in a gun control debate some drab clueless merkin takes about 45 seconds to mention Switzerland. I suppose we mustn't have many drab clueless hard right posters....

Anyway I mention it now because I've always wondered something. It's patently clear that the US needs stricter gun control, at this point its not even debatable really. But how much does the attitude of the average American play a role in violence like this latest shooting?

Obviously access to guns is an issue, but at the same time I personally don't know of a school shooting in Australia ever (and I might be wrong, I would have paid zero attention to most of the news in the 90s). There's something about Americans that makes them more inclined to shoot people.

I suppose it's a chicken or the egg question in a way. Is it that the saturation of guns over there makes them more inclined to use them, or is the saturation of guns coming from some American psychological trait...
It's a place where violence is seen as an acceptable way to settle disputes - their society is still strongly shaped by civil war. It is also a place where people are encouraged to see themselves as sovereign, so Americans more than anyone else refuse to let others silence them or push them around.

There are obviously pros and cons.

Gronk

Staff member
Ableist discrimination

Yeah he's a champion for the less fortunate.

200.webp

Gronk

Staff member
How many Americans live in fear of armed toddlers though? About as many live in fear of car accidents or heart disease.

How can people not see the visceral difference between accidental death and the sheer horror of another person wanting to kill you? There is no comparison. Such f**king dumb arguments trotted out by privileged people living in their safe bubble.

You seem to have missed the fact that f**k all merkins die from terrorism and tens of thousands die from merkins killing each other with their 2nd Amendment toys. f**king dumb defences trotted out by red-necks. They provide the sheer horror of another person wanting to kill you, not terrorists.

Family-Guy-Mentally-Disturbed-Terrorist.jpg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You seem to have missed the fact that f**k all merkins die from terrorism and tens of thousands die from merkins killing each other with their 2nd Amendment toys. f**king dumb defences trotted out by red-necks. They provide the sheer horror of another person wanting to kill you, not terrorists.
Except knives, trucks and planes can also be used to kill people. But worse than that, only a handful of merkins need to be killed to cause millions of others to live in fear. This is the point of terrorism. Murder is the means, not the end.

As for whether the individual is mentally ill or a terrorist you seem to think they can't be both. Terrorism is all about the intent. Not f**king political point scoring you smug f**k. Timothy McVeigh = terrorist (and possible lunatic). Martin Bryant = just a lunatic.

It's not f**king hard when you remove your ideological blinkers. Their skin colour is irrelevant.

#RacismIsEverywhere

Gronk

Staff member
He was taking the piss out of one guy for being a merkin. When you put shit on Trump for having small hands are you persecuting all small handed blokes or just him?

He wasn't being a merkin. He called Trump out. It goes back to the claim that Trump said he "saw" muslims celebrating the 9/11 attack from NJ. Trump tried to prove it as fact by referring to Kovaleski's report where he said that police were investigating alleged tailgate parties by muslims. Kovaleski stated that it was always "alleged" and nothing came from the investigation by the authorities. So his article ratified nothing. So trump launched into him.

serge-kovaleski-twitter-mocked-disabled-trump-new-york-times.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
Except knives, trucks and planes can also be used to kill people. But worse than that, only a handful of merkins need to be killed to cause millions of others to live in fear. This is the point of terrorism. Murder is the means, not the end.

As for whether the individual is mentally ill or a terrorist you seem to think they can't be both. Terrorism is all about the intent. Not f**king political point scoring you smug f**k. Timothy McVeigh = terrorist (and possible lunatic). Martin Bryant = just a lunatic.

It's not f**king hard when you remove your ideological blinkers. Their skin colour is irrelevant.

#RacismIsEverywhere

Nice deflection. How about you deal with the most pressing issue of today:-

There is no justification for merkins to have high powered semi / automatic weapons that can fire multiple rounds in seconds and (in the case of the Las Vegas merkin) can kill from 1700 feet away.

Ridiculous that anyone needs such a weapon.

upload_2017-10-3_12-52-3.jpegupload_2017-10-3_12-52-13.jpeg
images
images
images
images

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nice deflection. How about you deal with the most pressing issue of today:-

There is no justification for merkins to have high powered semi / automatic weapons that can fire multiple rounds in seconds and (in the case of the Las Vegas merkin) can kill from 1700 feet away.

Ridiculous that anyone needs such a weapon.
Agreed

Gronk

Staff member
That article is by a Muslim eye witness to 9/11 celebrations in his community.

Here's another article in support: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/12/exclusive_jersey_city_cop_residents_say_some_musli.html

Try and focus here merkin. Notwithstanding the truth or fiction behind the apparent celebration of 9/11, the original issue was about Trump and his horrific mocking of a reporter with a disability. That can't be disputed nor ever justified. Slime of a man.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I was talking about all the hypocritical merkins mocking the presidential candidate in front of hundreds of millions because of his small hands.

Bazal

Post Whore
Careful smuggy.

We are very lucky something hasn't happened in this country recently but that's purely because access is limited.

We are a bunch of impatient merkins. If we had the number of guns per capita of the US etc, I firmly believe that mass shootings would be common place.

I don't. And I'm not being smug, how f**ken dare you! But seriously it didn't happen really until Bryant, I was just wondering why it's so prevalent in the US

Bazal

Post Whore
Yes Switzerland always gets a mention when it comes to the gun debate. They have more guns per head etc. yet they don't shoot each other.

You could even say they same thing about Italy and France. They have a liberal attitude to alcohol. It is sold is delis and IIRC kids can consume wine from age 16 if accompanied by an adult. Why do they not have a binge drinking culture among teens ?

Obviously the answer is that some cultures are able to cope with these things and others can't. Nobody in their right mind would suggest that Australian laws relating to alcohol should be softened because there are no problems in France. Likewise guns are not killers because of Switzerland does not work either.

Well the Swiss situation is hugely different because they have to do compulsory national service, amongst other things

Latest posts