What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm pretty sure they have cruises for pretentious people too mate

Thanks mate. This is more my style.

1412261090397_wps_4_jade_yacht_with_garage.jpg

Eelementary

Post Whore
I have been on a small cruise (40 pple) in Fiji and on the Blue Lagoon around the Yawassa Islands.

Self sailed with mates in the Whitsundays.

Spent week sailing around Aitutaki (Cook Islands) on a wooden 2 mast sloop or whatever it's called.

Also did a few nights on the Rhine somewhere in Germany (castles and vineyards).

I'd be interested to hear about the attraction of big dude cruising as it sounds a lot like Parra Leagues afloat.

Where did you go mate??? I did the Melbourne Cup cruise a few years back and i had a blast.

The wife and i did a 10 day South Pacific cruise with P&O for our honeymoon back in 2010. Had an awesome time.
Going on an 8 night cruise with the kids and my old folks next March, this time just up the east coast and back to see how the kids handle it before going on something further. With Royal Caribbean this time

I love travelling and experiencing other cultures. Is cruising more about on-board than the destinations ?

We have always been places and culture etc..... people as well, but for the first time in our lives, we are going on a cruise in January to the South Pacific with the kids.
TBH, I don't know what to expect.
Am I looking forward to it? Hell yeh.

Suity

I've always imagined bistros and bingo. I'm obviously mistaken but by how much? Are there non retiree cruises? Cruises marketed for a 40 year old?

I'm not 100% sure that cruises are for me, but I'd be happy to give it a go. I tend to like to get the f**k away from people when I need a break. Some friends went on a cruise in the Med, where they had a small balcony off their room and they reckon that made a huge difference.

Nice!

We are still on the cruise - a 12 night cruise to the Pacific, focussing on New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji.

There is a lot to do on the ship, but you can also organise to go on yours once on the islands - these can be adventure things like rock climbing, ATV, etc or you can experience the culture of the people.

Or you can do nothing but swim and relax.

The best thing about the cruise? We stopped at Champagne Bay, where P&O had no tours organised. We saw a tour run by locals where they take you to a blue lagoon for $17 per person, and it was breath-taking - the most beautiful water I've ever seen.

And the local people in Vanuatu are incredible - so jovial, even after that horrible cyclone earlier this year.

I've noticed there are a lot of middle-aged and retirees onboard, but everyone is free to do what they want - I'm 30, and my girl and I go to shows, relax in the pool with a drink, or do absolutely nothing. Then we go to shore, explore the islands and go on tours.

I think it's the best holiday I've ever had, and I hope all you guys going on one or considering going on one will love it, too.

My only issue is my motion sickness, but I was fine after day one.

Gronk

Staff member
Nice!

We are still on the cruise - a 12 night cruise to the Pacific, focussing on New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji.

There is a lot to do on the ship, but you can also organise to go on yours once on the islands - these can be adventure things like rock climbing, ATV, etc or you can experience the culture of the people.

Or you can do nothing but swim and relax.

The best thing about the cruise? We stopped at Champagne Bay, where P&O had no tours organised. We saw a tour run by locals where they take you to a blue lagoon for $17 per person, and it was breath-taking - the most beautiful water I've ever seen.

And the local people in Vanuatu are incredible - so jovial, even after that horrible cyclone earlier this year.

I've noticed there are a lot of middle-aged and retirees onboard, but everyone is free to do what they want - I'm 30, and my girl and I go to shows, relax in the pool with a drink, or do absolutely nothing. Then we go to shore, explore the islands and go on tours.

I think it's the best holiday I've ever had, and I hope all you guys going on one or considering going on one will love it, too.

My only issue is my motion sickness, but I was fine after day one.

Yes I heard good reports about Vanuatu. Blue Lagoon sounds amazing. I hear you can also fly to Tana which has an active volcano.

Of course the ultimate Vanuatu experience must be those mad merkins who land dive.

09c7022bd62a58f435c53ae34062bc9b.jpg

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yes I heard good reports about Vanuatu. Blue Lagoon sounds amazing. I hear you can also fly to Tana which has an active volcano.

Of course the ultimate Vanuatu experience must be those mad merkins who land dive.

09c7022bd62a58f435c53ae34062bc9b.jpg

Absolutely!

And kava - Fijian kava is weaker than kava from Vanuatu. Our tour guide said he routinely visits kava bars in Fiji and knocks back 25 glasses, but he can only manage 3 in Vanuatu.

And I'm very sorry to say, Mr. Radradra (if you're reading this lol( - he's right. I tried both, and the Vanuatu kava melted my face off.

Maybe Fijian kava is more tourist-friendly?

Gronk

Staff member
When I did the blue lagoon cruise in Fiji I joined the crew on a kava session. I was rather unimpressed and ended up numb lips. (Not that I know what the end result should actually be)

So I reckon you might be right.

hybrideel

Bench
I think the trick to a good cruise is to make sure you have some good ports to stop at to suit your tastes.
Our south pacific one was 10 days and stopped at Wala, Vanuatu, Vila, Vanuatu, Ouvea,New Caledonia and Noumea, New Caledonia.
A couple of those places we did tours, one we just walked around and another just jumped in a taxi and asked the guy to take us somewhere.
On the ship they are pretty good at catering for all ages with sporting activities, games shows, trivia, comedy acts, bingo, and nightly shows.
I think the best thing about the cruise is you get the relaxing holiday sitting by the pool with the option of doing other things if you like, the kids get a lot of activities and you also get to visit a few different places as well

hybrideel

Bench
i still have some kava that i brought home from Vanuatu, although apparently the stuff they sell to tourists is the crap part

Haynzy

First Grade

I go over to Vanuatu every year or two to work in a school and help out a local village on South Pentacost Island. This is where they do the land diving but only for a few months, early in the year, when the vines are the most flexible. The Nee-Van are some of the friendliest and most generous people you could ever hope to meet and the country is absolutely gorgeous.

Tourism wise it's not really that cheap but if you can get out to one of the outlying islands, and off the tourist trail, you will have an experience that you will hold dear for the rest of your life.

When I did the blue lagoon cruise in Fiji I joined the crew on a kava session. I was rather unimpressed and ended up numb lips. (Not that I know what the end result should actually be)

He, he, not another tourist who fell for the 'Kava is Fijian for head job' line.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Our local guide in Luganville explained that Vanuatu kava will numb your tongue and give you a light head, but Fijian kava is more gentle.

I wasn't game to try it :lol:.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I go over to Vanuatu every year or two to work in a school and help out a local village on South Pentacost Island. This is where they do the land diving but only for a few months, early in the year, when the vines are the most flexible. The Nee-Van are some of the friendliest and most generous people you could ever hope to meet and the country is absolutely gorgeous.

Tourism wise it's not really that cheap but if you can get out to one of the outlying islands, and off the tourist trail, you will have an experience that you will hold dear for the rest of your life.

X100

They are amazing people, and their land is stunning.

It's also so cool of you to help them out.

Our tour guide on Vila was so grateful to the Australian government for helping Vanuatu out after the cyclone - Australia is helping with roads, schools, clean up and tourism, and the people are so grateful. It made me happy to hear we are helping them with our tax dollars. They deserve it.

Gronk

Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.