What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Eagles. Central Coast. Gosford

That's what you said right?

Have we not increased membership, attendances, TV viewers and general interest in Brisbane? Absolutely we have, it is undeniable that more people are consuming NRL in Brisbane than before the Dolphins came in.
You won't get any common sense out of Dane. He's an ideologue with delusions of grandeur. The bloke rants endlessly about expansion markets being vital to providing new fans and players to the game, yet the team he supports has done done sweet f**k all to increase participation in its market after 40 years of competing in the NSWRL/ARL/Super League/NRL.

IMG_1960.png

The example set by the team he supports makes a mockery of his argument.
Northern Territory has less than half as many people as the ACT, yet it has almost twice as many players. They've managed this without a team. Kids in Canberra are only interested in dressing up like Greta Thunberg.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
If you were told you can have either NZ2 or West Coast Pirates but not both, who would you support?

It's all well and good saying we should prioritise new markets, but the reality is there's only 1-3 licences available. No one is going to sacrifice themselves for a rival bid.

The poor participation rate in Canberra and Melbourne isn't a ringing endorsement for expansion.

All of the arguments about the benefits of taking a "top down" approach are shot to pieces by the dearth of players from Canberra and Melbourne. Raiders have had 40 years to generate interest amongst children. Storm have had 25. If there's no fruit on the tree after 40 years then it's time to chop it down.

I do see the irony of Dane's team having f**k all juniors in its catchment. It's hard to take his argument about investing into new markets seriously when his side has produced f**k all participation in Canberra after 40 years.
ACT could be higher but it has 400k people. QLD has 5.5 million, that's almost 14 x more.

Matiunz

Juniors
If you were told you can have either NZ2 or West Coast Pirates but not both, who would you support?

It's all well and good saying we should prioritise new markets, but the reality is there's only 1-3 licences available. No one is going to sacrifice themselves for a rival bid.

The poor participation rate in Canberra and Melbourne isn't a ringing endorsement for expansion.

All of the arguments about the benefits of taking a "top down" approach are shot to pieces by the dearth of players from Canberra and Melbourne. Raiders have had 40 years to generate interest amongst children. Storm have had 25. If there's no fruit on the tree after 40 years then it's time to chop it down.

I do see the irony of Dane's team having f**k all juniors in its catchment. It's hard to take his argument about investing into new markets seriously when his side has produced f**k all participation in Canberra after 40 years.
Ideally I’d like to see both but for selfish reasons I’d pick NZ2, however I can concede someone from Perth would vote them if given the same choice (like I’m sure you’d probably favour Bris 3).
Theres a good episode of “The Rugby League Digest” podcast that looks into the local scene prior to the Rams which suggest there could be an appetite there.
Agree it’s a shame that Melbourne hasnt translated their on field success into participation and I believe Canberra benefits from a more symbiotic relationship to union similar to NZ but under performance in these markets doesn’t automatically mean failure in new markets. Apart from the obvious financial and exposure opportunities Melbourne has I believe Perth and Adelaide have greater potential and start up from a player and fan perspective than Melbourne, less competitors from rival codes and Adelaide without a professional Rugby team currently.
Although its come from successful models the strength of NSW and QLD, the code needs to expand from the safety net to grow

blue bags

First Grade
A Central Coast team was a good idea 25 years ago, now not so much.. NSW is well and truly maxed out club wise and you already have Sydney clubs like Manly and the Roosters pushing into that region more and more.
There are much higher priorities like NZ2, Perth, QLD5 etc.
But Gosford central coast is a rugby league Heartland. Nice boutique stadium
Massive amounts of juniors
If Northern Eagle's had stayed in central coast
All these years. They would be a powerful club by now

Matiunz

Juniors
It’s a shame that the Bears got pushed out and Manly were allowed to slink back to being a suburban club, strategically it was a better outcome to keep them in Gosfor.
Unpopular opinion but I was fine with South’s getting the boot, at the time they were a basket case of the field and it helped decongest the Sydney CBD

ACT could be higher but it has 400k people. QLD has 5.5 million, that's almost 14 x more.
ACT is a bit of a worry. Its Gov doesn't give a f**k about the game and is in bed with our main competitor. Thank Christ the Raiders have strong support ATM. If it ever dwindles then we could be in trouble. An AwFuL team based in Canberra will cause problems.

Ideally I’d like to see both but for selfish reasons I’d pick NZ2, however I can concede someone from Perth would vote them if given the same choice (like I’m sure you’d probably favour Bris 3).
Theres a good episode of “The Rugby League Digest” podcast that looks into the local scene prior to the Rams which suggest there could be an appetite there.
Agree it’s a shame that Melbourne hasnt translated their on field success into participation and I believe Canberra benefits from a more symbiotic relationship to union similar to NZ but under performance in these markets doesn’t automatically mean failure in new markets. Apart from the obvious financial and exposure opportunities Melbourne has I believe Perth and Adelaide have greater potential and start up from a player and fan perspective than Melbourne, less competitors from rival codes and Adelaide without a professional Rugby team currently.
Although its come from successful models the strength of NSW and QLD, the code needs to expand from the safety net to grow
As parochial as I am about Brisbane 3, I wouldn't be against a strong NZ 2 getting the licence at Brisbane 3's expense. I see potential in NZ 2 to do things that Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth cannot.

The NRL doesn't need another Canberra Raiders or Melbourne Storm. It needs another Dolphins to boost attendances, ratings and player base.

Central Coast Bears would be a good addition to the NRL. I know Sydney has 9 teams, but Central Coast has none.

There's a good stadium on the Central Coast. The amount of talented players coming out of Central Coast is huge. It has a large enough population to support a team.

macca_saint

Juniors
That maybe so, but unfortunately they didn’t and the game has moved on.
If it makes so much commercial sense now then why aren’t the Bears still hitching their wagon to the region rather than the Pacific, Perth etc?

Perth Red

Post Whore

How many of the cowboys team are born and bred NQ? Just curious. What do you feel about cowboys signing playes from act and Melbourne?

what do you think about the fact there used to be 10k
players in WA with a 1mill population?

what do you think about the fact vic participation has doubled since storms admission And they now compete with WA in the state championships after years of being beaten by us?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm the only person on this board advocating for NZ 2 AND NZ 3.

Why should I want Queenslanders to prop up teams from Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth?

The only way Adelaide or Perth gets a licence is via affirmative action.
Why do you think it’s ok for queensland teams to be propped up by players from nsw and nz?

MugaB

Coach
I'm the only person on this board advocating for NZ 2 AND NZ 3.

Why should I want Queenslanders to prop up teams from Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth?

The only way Adelaide or Perth gets a licence is via affirmative action.
I am too, i reckon we could have upto nz4 over the next 20-30 years, its really more about, if RU can do 5-6 duper super clubs in NZ, then we can easily do similar but do it better...
Hamilton, Wellington and Christchurch, along with the current Auckland based Warriors

Canard

Immortal
The Central Coast Stadium is 25 years old by now.

If it had an NRL tenant they would be lobbying for it to be upgraded.

How many of the cowboys team are born and bred NQ? Just curious.

Seven.

What do you feel about cowboys signing playes from act and Melbourne?

There's only one player in our squad from Canberra. I don't think anyone from Melbourne has ever played for my club. Plenty of very talented North Queenslanders played for Storm.

Billy Slater.

what do you think about the fact there used to be 10k
players in WA with a 1mill population?

I don't care.

what do you think about the fact vic participation has doubled since storms admission And they now compete with WA in the state championships after years of being beaten by us?

All it took was $100m in handouts and 25 years of sustained onfield success and systemic salary cap rorting over several seasons?

You've convinced me!

Bring in Adelaide, Hobart, Perth and Kalgoorlie and let them do the same to mar the integrity of the competition!

Why do you think it’s ok for queensland teams to be propped up by players from nsw and nz?
There are just as many Queenslanders playing outside of Queensland as there are non-Queenslanders playing for Queensland clubs.

Many of Queensland's best players never played for a Queensland NRL club. The club you support won several premierships on the back of star players from Queensland.