What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOT AGAIN!! Tim drinking already??/ Suspended indefinitely

COACH STERLING

Juniors
eelavation said:
CS, without knowing the details i believe the club has done all they can in the past to help him, however they were given a golden opportunity to really stamp their authority on the issue last week by standing him down indefintely until he sort himself out, instead they slapt him with a $1000.00 fine and an alcohol ban...

I think that where the club dropped the ball and inturn Tim has now appears to have done the same, what other options are there???

I have to agree the club irred in deciding to impose a poultry fine. That's where some of the confusion lies. Had they stood him down indefinitely, then he would have been gonski's this time around.....

Glenn said:
Hmmm so if Tim was out drinking, what was he drinking? no reports of him behaving in a intoxicated way to members of the public suggest it wasn't alcohol IMHO.

Yeah but the Media want blood, They need a story even if they have to expand on the truth to make it a big story. They will build you up and they could tear you down. Ask Gower, Sonny, Reni,Willie.

Hurriflatch

Referee
mickdo said:
How do you know they've done all they can?

How do you know they haven't

how do you know that we're even having this converastion right now

how do we know grass is green

what is green, who said green was green why couldn't green be called purple. purple called black and black called something else

how does anyone know anything

why am I still here?

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
Yeah but the Media want blood, They need a story even if they have to expand on the truth to make it a big story. They will build you up and they could tear you down. Ask Gower, Sonny, Reni,Willie.

All 4 have done worse than Timmy and not been sacked.

Parramatta would be taking the hard line approach by sacking him.

El Diablo

Post Whore
COACH STERLING said:
OK - hypothetically speaking, lets say he gets the sack tomorrow and ends at the Broncos, timmy news club helps him through it and then he has a blinder winning the dally m's and taking out the comp.

Would it be right to say that Parra would have made the wrong decision given the fact that we didn't even help him?
if Brisbane sign him it will prove their sackings were a farce. they never tried to help them so if they signed up Tim they would be saying the players were sacked because Brisbane thought they were not needed, not because of any code of conduct breach

COACH STERLING

Juniors
El Diablo said:
if Brisbane sign him it will prove their sackings were a farce. they never tried to help them so if they signed up Tim they would be saying the players were sacked because Brisbane thought they were not needed, not because of any code of conduct breach

The players they sacked they did not need. A halfback of Timmy's class is a different kettle of fish. I bet you they wouldn't sack lockyer.

jk13

First Grade
the previous decision on 12mth alcohol ban is the problem in this. if hes an alco, u can't just turn around and say it starts from now unless you got support up to your eyeballs, and even then the devil is always chatting in your ear. not defending him, but that was not the right decision in the first place, u can't switch off alcoholism.

El Diablo

Post Whore
COACH STERLING said:
The players they sacked they did not need. A halfback of Timmy's class is a different kettle of fish. I bet you they wouldn't sack lockyer.

i wonder if they'd even fine him

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Can't sack him for f**k's sake, the boy has a problem. Suspend him and get him some bloody help, I can't believe anyone wants him sacked over this, he's obviously got a problem and that should be more important than whatever the media chooses to write about us.

Hurriflatch

Referee
mickdo said:
You made the statement that they had first. I'd like to know on what you base that.

the same sources you me and everyone else use no matter their opinion the most reliable sources out there

rumour and innuendo

eelavation said:
Jake, every recognises that he needs help that's a "no brainer" but it remains to be seen whether the club have the ability to do that given the fact they hd to deal with other issues in the past..

can i ask you, would you honestly give a sh*t if the guy wasn't faviourite of yours, I'm not trying to start something i just want an idea of where your at on this.

I had a 3 paragraph essay written for ya but it got wiped. I really can't be bothered re-typing it. It was really good too. Just to quickly answer ur question Yest Tim is one of my favourites but as a player he is expendable ( I'd rather keep INU than him)

Anyway, If you want to Hang him then Hang him. I would be helping him, It's no longer about footy. People in General are so righteous these days and they are quick to Judge.

Fathead

Bench
Not name dropping but I have been in a couple 'establishments' when Tim and fellow footballers were on the drink and I know that there are a few posters here who have actively been a part of that drinking group. I was, on those rare occasions, only a spectator.
My impressions then are as they are now, Tim was always like a sheep. if one of the lads told him to drop his pants and run backwards to the bar, Tim would have done it.
He was always keen to impress his mates and never seemed to be his 'own man'

From what I saw I dont reckon that Tim has a problem with the booze. To me he has a problem with maturity. He seeks out role models that are young bucks who think life is an endless party without consequences.
Having Riddell and Finch as 'role models' doesnt assist him because these are the sort of boofheads that lead him astray. Thier only saving grace is that they have the maturity and the' smarts' to know when to call it a day. Sadly Tim doesnt have that intelligence.

He reminds me so very much of Julian O'Neill, a bloke I HAVE shared a drink with. Julian could have captained Australia such was his natural talent but when intellect was being handed around , Julian was in the backyard kicking a footy around.

IMO if he we continue to indulge boofheads like Tim we will be sending a message to the other impressionable players that its all ok to drink and act like an idiot. Lets reward the blokes like the Luke Burts and Nathan Hindmarshes of the footy world who train hard and have a quiet beer without being a dickhead.

If not, lets see it from the commercial sense - we dont want to be known as the 'West Coast' of the NRL as commercial bucks are hard enough to come by.

An addiction ? Perhaps. But from what I have personally seen, sometimes people with addictions need a fair bit of tough love. There are too many people out there who are willing to give people (and not just footy players) a third and fourth and fifth go, not realising that its their softness and forgiveness that these people seek out and its in there excuses that these people hide.

I am of the opinion we tell Tim that if he wishes to stay, another contract is to be drawn up and that includes some intensive therepy for at least 6 months - without footy. But as the old saying goes you can lead a horse to water... there will always be the clown out there who would tempt Tim and I really dont think he is mature enough to say no. Not now or ever.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake the snake said:
I had a 3 paragraph essay written for ya but it got wiped. I really can't be bothered re-typing it. It was really good too. Just to quickly answer ur question Yest Tim is one of my favourites but as a player he is expendable ( I'd rather keep INU than him)

Anyway, If you want to Hang him then Hang him. I would be helping him, It's no longer about footy. People in General are so righteous these days and they are quick to Judge.

guess I too..just wrote a long winded essay and lost it, but I need to let you know that I don't like what's happened as much as anyone else and we need to do something about it as well as assist him in his time of need.

GizLoki

Juniors
Telecrap are now claiming that the decision to sack Smith has already been made and that it will be announced this morning....

Parramatta halfback breaks alcohol ban
WAYWARD halfback Tim Smith presented a $1000 drinking fine to Ronald McDonald House on Wednesday - then headed straight to the pub.

Furious Parramatta officials last night decided to axe their problematic playmaker but delayed an announcement until meeting Smith this morning.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Smith - who agreed to give up drinking just five days ago - had a long night on the tiles and was still at the Tollgate Hotel, North Parramatta, at 9am yesterday.

Concerned pub staff called club officials, asking them to come and collect the kid who was Rookie of the Year in 2005.

"We've had reports that Tim was out drinking, yes," Parramatta boss Denis Fitzgerald confirmed last night. "But until we meet with him tomorrow (Friday) I have nothing more to say on the matter."

Incredibly, the 22-year-old started his schooner assault only hours after presenting a cheque for his abusive and drunken tirade on a frightened family last week.

Should Smith have his NRL contract torn up this morning, as anticipated, it will represent one of the most staggering falls from grace in recent years.

Chased by 11 NRL clubs in his teens, the Runaway Bay product eventually signed with Parramatta, where he was quickly touted as a future superstar of the game.

"I followed the Eels when I was younger and I always wanted to play with Parramatta," Smith said at the time. "So from my perspective it wasn't that much of a tough decision to make."

However, the halfback who had Andrew Johns' posters on his wall as a youngster may now miss out on the chance to work alongside him at NRL level.

Only last week Smith was hit with a $1000 fine and ordered off the drink for a year after an incident in which he was so drunk he couldn't keep his pants up while swearing and intimidating a young family.

"We were shocked and numb," grandfather Charles Brincat said of the unprovoked tirade. "He could barely stand on his own two feet."

Rather than being isolated brain snaps, both these latest incidents form part of an ongoing tale of woe for the young man who was once being mentioned for Queensland and Kangaroo honours.

That image of the laidback surfie who rode a skateboard has taken a heavy battering thanks to his rapidly expanding rap sheet.

Last week Fitzgerald said the wayward No. 7 had been undergoing counselling for 18 months but had "slipped of the rails . . . and is very contrite".

But that excuse may no longer wash with the Eels boss, nor the legion of Blue and Gold Army supporters still waiting for their first premiership since 1986.

Embarrassingly, the Smith revelations came on the same day Parramatta Stadium Trust announced its plan to create a statue of Eels legend Ray Price.

Smith and his manager David Riolo failed to return calls from The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

Another Eels legend, Brett Kenny, has previously hit out at the club - declaring them partly to blame for Smith's disturbing behaviour.

Smith's sacking could have a dramatic effect on premiership betting as Parramatta are equal second favourites at $9 with TAB Sportsbet.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22921748-5006066,00.html

Hurriflatch

Referee
and Kenny takes another shot

but the Telecrap are covering themselves if Smith doesn't get sacked

1st they say he is getting sacked then they add at the end of the sentence that the decision has been delayed unilt the meeting with Tim

then by the end of the article they aree saying "if Smith gets sacked........."

typical telecrap reporting

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
and Kenny takes another shot

but the Telecrap are covering themselves if Smith doesn't get sacked

1st they say he is getting sacked then they add at the end of the sentence that the decision has been delayed unilt the meeting with Tim

then by the end of the article they aree saying "if Smith gets sacked........."

typical telecrap reporting

Kenny actually made the same quote last week, I'm pretty sure they re-hased that one.

Hurriflatch

Referee
eelavation said:
Kenny actually made the same quote last week, I'm pretty sure they re-hased that one.

if thats the case then that just proves my point about typical telecrap reporting even more