What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360 + other footy shows

TheParraboy

Staff member
He might be just mentally f**ked after a long season. So we force players to play anyway ?

He trots out he wants to win a comp as the reason.

Lets not start assuming and making excuses.

So you're in favour of the hard arse approach.?

You play mate or we put the rep red line through your name. No exceptions merkin.

I have not seen an NRL contract, have you ? Is he bound to play representative footy if picked and can he be deemed in breach and face consequences if he makes himself ineligible? Or is this policy on the fly ?

Every NRL contract states the player must make themselves available for representative selection, and if selected, play if not injured.

T.S Quint

Coach
It's in his contract that he has to make himself available unless he seeks an exemtion from the NRL.
Seemingly the NRL hasn't provided that exemtion, judging from PVL's comments.

I don't know about a ban from Newcastle games, but I do agree that rep selection should be off the table for him for good now, including Origin.

Andrew Johns pointed out that the Knights are at fault here. All they had to do was thell the NRL that Ponga has an injury or needs a clean out of his knee or something and this all goes away. Ponga telling the truth that he just doesn't want to play for Australia has blown up in his own face.

Incorrect

Coach
It's in his contract that he has to make himself available unless he seeks an exemtion from the NRL.
Seemingly the NRL hasn't provided that exemtion, judging from PVL's comments.

I don't know about a ban from Newcastle games, but I do agree that rep selection should be off the table for him for good now, including Origin.

Andrew Johns pointed out that the Knights are at fault here. All they had to do was thell the NRL that Ponga has an injury or needs a clean out of his knee or something and this all goes away. Ponga telling the truth that he just doesn't want to play for Australia has blown up in his own face.
The Knights probably don't care about being at fault. If he's banned from Origin that's a positive for them. So maybe there should be some club match suspensions handed down also??

The bottom line is he either retires from rep footy even if he is at the peak of his powers a la Jamie Lyon or he plays if selected. He can't pick and choose which rep games he wants to play in...

T.S Quint

Coach
The Knights probably don't care about being at fault. If he's banned from Origin that's a positive for them. So maybe there should be some club match suspensions handed down also??

The bottom line is he either retires from rep footy even if he is at the peak of his powers a la Jamie Lyon or he plays if selected. He can't pick and choose which rep games he wants to play in...

There is the possibility of him being suspended for regular season games, but I doubt that will happen.

King-Gutho94

Coach
So you're in favour of the hard arse approach.?

You play mate or we put the rep red line through your name. No exceptions merkin.

I have not seen an NRL contract, have you ? Is he bound to play representative footy if picked and can he be deemed in breach and face consequences if he makes himself ineligible? Or is this policy on the fly ?
I don't think it's policy on the fly.

It's always been there.

NRL were thinking of standing of Latrell weren't they when rumours were he asked to not be picked for NSW at one point.

Gronk

Staff member
It's tough on players and clubs. IIRC the players who went deep in the last WC missed out on a lot of preseason training and their clubs suffered. I am sure that teams like Storm and Penrith will have results that suggest otherwise, but for all the boo hoo posts about Ponga, his heart is in the right place. He gets paid big coin and wants to have a full preseason and help turn the club around. If you are finding a negative out of that then you're a hard marker.

I don't know if he's physically or mentally banged up. That was just me spit balling.

Incorrect

Coach
To me, the elephant in the room is Ponga's concussion history. The Knights have invested a lot of money in him so far for little reward. He may only be 1 or 2 more concussions away from having to hang them up in reality. I'm not suggesting the Knights mgmt would have pressured him to make this decision, but all the same, they'd be pretty happy he has made the call I reckon.

If he copped a career ending head knock while in a Knights jersey, it'd suck but it would suck less than if he copped a concussion playing for Australia or QLD... From a Knights perspective that is.....

T.S Quint

Coach
It's tough on players and clubs. IIRC the players who went deep in the last WC missed out on a lot of preseason training and their clubs suffered. I am sure that teams like Storm and Penrith will have results that suggest otherwise, but for all the boo hoo posts about Ponga, his heart is in the right place. He gets paid big coin and wants to have a full preseason and help turn the club around. If you are finding a negative out of that then you're a hard marker.

I don't know if he's physically or mentally banged up. That was just me spit balling.

Sure, I understand where he's coming from.
I also understand where the NRL is coming from, and that's why they included this in his (and every player's) contract.
He's tried to do the right thing by his club and himself, but probably thought the NRL would just let it go. The NRL is trying to protect their product. All Ponga had to do was the same thing players have been doing for decades. now - just pretend you're injured. You get your time off whilst still doing a full preseason with the Knights, and the NRL saves face by not having a player publicly showing that playing for Australia means nothing.

Latest posts