What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and AFL tackle PM over plan to curb the use of poker machines

Flapper

First Grade
You wont need one. The machine setup will be to hit more than $1 at a time. You insert the license. The 20c hits wont change or so I am told by a board member at an RSL club

So what if someone that enjoys a casual fiddy on max bets wants to have a bet, are they being told they can't do what they want with their money?

If it's not going to affect the vast majority, and only target problem gamblers who will just problem gamble elsewhere, what's the point?

I suppose the Greens are right into this as well, even though they want decriminalisation of illegal recreational drugs, they want to stop other people's chosen recreational activities?

It just smacks of hypocrisy.

franklin2323

Immortal
So what if someone that enjoys a casual fiddy on max bets wants to have a bet, are they being told they can't do what they want with their money?

If it's not going to affect the vast majority, and only target problem gamblers who will just problem gamble elsewhere, what's the point?

I suppose the Greens are right into this as well, even though they want decriminalisation of illegal recreational drugs, they want to stop other people's chosen recreational activities?

It just smacks of hypocrisy.

Yep. That's the problem with it even if someone wants to blow a couple of hundred in a sitting who cares. The stupid thing ia every pokie needs the software at about $10k a machine. So even small clubs will be hit with a huge up front cost.

So it's not just the getting people off pokies (Which I think clubs should try and do for viability long term) that will hurt the clubs but the $1m + to install to stop under 20% gambling big. very stupid all round

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Not very familiar with the situation, but whats the point of making people get a licence? Does the government want to monitor them?

Not very familiar with the situation, but whats the point of making people get a licence? Does the government want to monitor them?

I thought it was so there family could monitor them ? :crazy:

Also on the thread title, I wish someone would tackle Gillard, she is such a merkin !

Green Machine

First Grade
If you like a casual flutter, nothing changes, Flapper
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...t-in-pokies-debate-wilkie-20110914-1k8z1.html
Under the plan poker machines will be reprogrammed to cap losses at $120 an hour rather than $1,200 an hour but lower intensity machines will not require any form of pre-commitment.

franklin2323

Immortal

It's nanny state crap. It won't let you put more then $120 per hour in. The machine won't work until a fresh smart card/license is put in.

Dogs Of War

Coach
It's nanny state crap. It won't let you put more then $120 per hour in. The machine won't work until a fresh smart card/license is put in.

To be honest, the only real change that needs to be made is how much the machines can take in one hour.

It is way too easy to lose $1000 in less than an hour. You slow it down so at most it can take say $200 an hour, and the same effect would be had, without the extra expense of smart cards. The clubs would still complain just as hard though, as there is no way they could milk problem gamblers as fast as they do now.

franklin2323

Immortal
To be honest, the only real change that needs to be made is how much the machines can take in one hour.

It is way too easy to lose $1000 in less than an hour. You slow it down so at most it can take say $200 an hour, and the same effect would be had, without the extra expense of smart cards. The clubs would still complain just as hard though, as there is no way they could milk problem gamblers as fast as they do now.

Exactly. Try and find a machine that takes coins. Take off the last few buttons and more than multiple 2. The main problem seems to be the cost of the setup. This could be a compromise and make the club seem like the enemies.

bildo

Juniors
Come to Cairns on pension day and watch the Indigenous blokes blow all their pension on the pokies . The banks have even been kind enough to install an ATM on the wall outside the aborigine's pub.

I have seen aborigine women calling out thru the window at their hubbies to stop spending all the kids food money before hubby casually strolls outside and gives her a few good punches to the head before strolling back inside to resume where he left off. None of his mates even seem to notice. : (

I used to have a lot of respect for Gould, Vossy etc but not anymore.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
I have no problem with the government intervening on this issue, so long as they recognise the importance pokies revenue has in funding some community endevours - the Government should bring in pokies restrictions, but provide funding to clubs to make up for lost revenue if there is a legitimate community spend.

Noa

First Grade
I have no problem with the government intervening on this issue, so long as they recognise the importance pokies revenue has in funding some community endevours - the Government should bring in pokies restrictions, but provide funding to clubs to make up for lost revenue if there is a legitimate community spend.

f**k that. Farmers, new home owners, new parents, people who choose to send there kids to "private" school, everybody wants to be subisdised these days.

My suggestion is give tax-breaks to business to encourage them to support community activities like they do in the USA.

f**k that. Farmers, new home owners, new parents, people who choose to send there kids to "private" school, everybody wants to be subisdised these days.

My suggestion is give tax-breaks to business to encourage them to support community activities like they do in the USA.

Working out great for the USA:crazy:

big_matt

Juniors
Come to Cairns on pension day and watch the Indigenous blokes blow all their pension on the pokies . The banks have even been kind enough to install an ATM on the wall outside the aborigine's pub.

I have seen aborigine women calling out thru the window at their hubbies to stop spending all the kids food money before hubby casually strolls outside and gives her a few good punches to the head before strolling back inside to resume where he left off. None of his mates even seem to notice. : (

I used to have a lot of respect for Gould, Vossy etc but not anymore.

This is the issue. Whatever people on here think of pokies, we are funding our sport indirectly through people ruining their and others lives. We can't call ourself a community sport if we need something that destroys communities for us to run.

Sports in every country of the world are run without support from pokies - we need to move into the 21st century and come up with a new business model.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hard to believe that people are justifying it based on A) the world of jnr sport will collapse in NSW/Victoria without pokie machines or B) the govt shouldn't be telling the plebians what they can and can't do.

Neither argument holds water and the sooner the NRL and jnr sport wake up to the fact it is unethical to pay for kids playing games out of the misery of gambling addiction the better. If not blow it lets start a campaign to legalise hard drugs and start dealing crack through NRL merchandise outlets and really see our sporting investments increase!

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Hey Perth Red what's your thoughts on some pawn brokers..

Their business model is based on preying on human misery, buying stolen goods from drug dealers etc

Offering terrible interest rates on pay day loans to the country's under privileged

And not giving a red cent back to the community

Your ex team was happy to take money from such people.

DC_fan

Coach
AFL boss tells Clubs Australia 'shut up'

Monday, September 26, 2011 » 05:44pm

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has told Clubs Australia to shut up, denying the AFL was working with the lobby group in its fight against the federal government's poker-machine reforms.

Demetriou said the so-called alliance between the AFL, NRL and Clubs Australia and reports that the football codes were planning to run television advertisements against mandatory pre-commitment technology for high-intensity pokies, were bemusing and untrue.

'I've never spoken to anybody from Clubs Australia, I've never spoken to the NRL about this issue,' Demetriou told reporters in Melbourne on Monday.

'The AFL is not involved in any campaign, it hasn't got the ads ready to go.

'The fellow from Clubs Australia, I don't even know his name, but please, stop talking on our behalf, just shut up, that'd be a good help.'

Demetriou said while the AFL was opposed to the proposed legislation, he had sought meetings with the federal government and independent MP Andrew Wilkie to propose alternative ways of dealing with problem gambling.

'The AFL and our clubs abhor problem gambling,' he said.

'What we would want to do is work with the government, work with Andrew Wilkie and Nick Xenophon and others to address and tackle the issue of problem gambling ... like we've done with racial and indigenous vilification, like we've done with responsible alcohol.

'We just don't think this proposed legislation is the way to go.'
He said the legislation would cost clubs millions of dollars and force them to increase the price of memberships and entry to matches.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Top...oss_tells_Clubs_Australia_shut_up_666204.html

Flapper

First Grade
Hey Perth Red what's your thoughts on some pawn brokers..

Their business model is based on preying on human misery, buying stolen goods from drug dealers etc

Offering terrible interest rates on pay day loans to the country's under privileged

And not giving a red cent back to the community

Your ex team was happy to take money from such people.

The WA Reds SG Ball team are also sponsored by Cash Converters, so it's a case of still doing it.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade