What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and AFL tackle PM over plan to curb the use of poker machines

adamkungl

Immortal
Morons will piss away their money on something else regardless. Casual gamblers simply won't bother.
More nanny state bullshit from the government.

Good on Gould and Gallop for standing up against bullshit legislation which will hurt junior sport.

big_matt

Juniors
Morons will piss away their money on something else regardless. Casual gamblers simply won't bother.
More nanny state bullshit from the government.

Good on Gould and Gallop for standing up against bullshit legislation which will hurt junior sport.

Junior sport should not rely on addicted gamblers to survive. What sort of business model is that? Junior sports all over the world are doing just fine without pokies. There are plenty other ways of funding it.

Noa

First Grade
I remember when a govt would make a decision and we'd just get on with it. Now we have to put up with all this US style political advertising by special interests group, who btw are just looking after THEIR interests. Not yours and definately not mine.

And can anyone honestly say our country is a better place for having carte-blanche on gambling and having it rammed down our throats on TV and on every street corner.

To use another american phrase, ENOUGH ALL f**kING READY.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm not even a gambler. Pokies are f**king boring and I have better things to waste my money on. I just don't believe in telling people what they can and can't do or how much they can do with their own cash.

big_matt

Juniors
I'm not even a gambler. Pokies are f**king boring and I have better things to waste my money on. I just don't believe in telling people what they can and can't do or how much they can do with their own cash.

I agree with you, but I think we need to wean ourselves off pokie dependancy as a sport so that we have other ways of operating should the government clamp down on these machines (which they might well do).

adamkungl

Immortal
That is a point I agree with. Having diverse and sustainable sources of income from selling the sport itself would be far preferable, but it's something that will take time after years of neglect and it won't happen until we're forced, in most cases. That said, it still isn't going to make me support rubbish legislation that WILL have a very negative effect on our sport.

franklin2323

Immortal
That's true, but what if some day people get bored of pokies? Where is our plan b? Does sport and junior sport just go down the drain in that case?

Exactly. The time & $ fighting this would be better off being used to find solutions. If this stupid policy doesn't get through we are no worse off. If it gets in we have funding in place so junior clubs don't go under.

cleary89

Coach
If saints leagues goes under because all it is is a gambling den then serves the board right.

I go to every home game and have only stepped into the club 3 times in my life. No other reason to go there unless you want to play pokies.

Quigs

Immortal
If the NRL wants to look after junior sport... dont worry about the mongrel pokies. How about changing the rules so kids parents arn't required to fork out for overpriced things like NRL, QRL and NSWRL shorts. Its just a compulsory ripoff.

For a kid to play these days they are required to wear "League" shorts, and usually at some bullsh!t price.

In the good old days if your kids side played in Red shorts, you just went and bought a pair from the local shop.. or someone from the club would go and buy a set and charge $8 a pair.

My kid is now 33, he ended up paying for his own (eventually). But its crap what they expect a parent to pay to get their kid on the fields.

I did some kids coaching in my time, and I know for a fact the in the local mini league our group had to throw in to help out some poorer families get their kids onto the paddock. This was bloody 20 plus years ago. We were told that the kids couldnt play unless they had QRL shorts on @ $20 a pot I think it was. We had a poor single mum with 3 kids who was on the verge of being homeless. It was too much for her to pay back then - I can only imagine what it costs these days.

Don't tell me if it wasnt for the pokies kids wouldnt be playing League or junior sport.

My opinion ... I am with the Whitlams.... blow the farkers up.

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
If saints leagues goes under because all it is is a gambling den then serves the board right.

I go to every home game and have only stepped into the club 3 times in my life. No other reason to go there unless you want to play pokies.

Its already happening Cleary

forsale-taj.jpg

bobmar28

Bench
Says a lot about the club industry's priorities when the first thing they want to ditch when times get tough for them is the small % of their earnings they spend on community/sporting activities.

Their first priority is to ensure the club doesn't fail. Should they ditch their contribution to the local public schools or hospital? How about the disabled workshop?

bobmar28

Bench
Junior sport should not rely on addicted gamblers to survive. What sort of business model is that? Junior sports all over the world are doing just fine without pokies. There are plenty other ways of funding it.

Wrong. the 95% of casual punters like myself don't want to get a license to play the pokies. That's where the losses will come from. Problem gamblers will probably gamble just as much if not more.

bobmar28

Bench

Why don't you go to the bistro, or the showroom? Check out the band.

franklin2323

Immortal

Same with Panthers. I had mates that went to the club to watch the round 25 game. In the sports bar you had a band doing soundcheck during the 1st 1/2. Despite a nightclub 100m away boarded up. Use the nightclub for the band and keep the Sports bar to watch Sport.

Clubs board members need to change thinking. We need forward thinking not dinosaurs

franklin2323

Immortal
Wrong. the 95% of casual punters like myself don't want to get a license to play the pokies. That's where the losses will come from. Problem gamblers will probably gamble just as much if not more.

You wont need one. The machine setup will be to hit more than $1 at a time. You insert the license. The 20c hits wont change or so I am told by a board member at an RSL club