What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

Goddo

Bench
Didn't happen for the most recent team that was plonked in SEQ (titans).
Curiosity factor to begin with (as you suggested), and then a whole heap of nothing!
Really? how often are the Titans on TV (esp Friday nights). They have ticket price issues which affects crowds (as well as dreadful form, yet still have the 5th largest average in the game), but otherwise it has been a success.
Surprised you didn't make a stupid argument based on the Crushers.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Didn't happen for the most recent team that was plonked in SEQ (titans). Curiosity factor to begin with (as you suggested), and then a whole heap of nothing! Brisbane would be a slightly different scenario, agreed, but would it be as different as you suggest? Doubtful, based on the strength (or lack thereof) of any of the current Brisbane-based bids. They would have to improve their affairs dramatically if any of them are to see the successful results you predict.

The Titans form has killed their viewing and crowd numbers. When they were winning, both were well up there, especially in Qld despite the perception they are not truly a Qld team by some.

Maybe the first months or even first season at best, but then the curiosity would wear off, and you would go back to the levels of Manly or Newcastle.

Consistently achieving Broncos or Dragons ratings is realistically out of the question for the Bears.

The curiosity factor would favour any new team in the comp really. After that, it will be down to demographics, affinity and indeed the brand of footy played. But the latter will change from season to season, according to coach and players comings and goings...

A 2nd Brisbane/SEQ team has much more potential to attract big numbers than the Bears imo, first through that curiosity and eventually through and a multitude of factors, such as having an NRL game every week in Brisbane, traditional support for Qld teams in the state, amalgamation of all the NRL aficionados without a club they're willing to support in Brisbane, especially against the hated Broncos (trust me, there are a lot of them! :lol:), etc...

Why is out of the question? In the 90's during the Dragons success of reaching 4 GF's they weren't in the top 5 viewed teams. The Broncos are a completely different animal (no pun) completely. Much of their success via. TV viewership was post-merging. Sure they've always had decent crowds but even then, in the 90's there was a time they struggled to crack 10k consistently. Things change with time and better management.

At the end of the day the Bears brand has been held through thick and thin based on support. It's that support which will be contagious and spread if given the green light for admission.

And as far as the non-Bronco supporting Brisbane population is concerned, I don't have to trust you. I live here in Brisbane and it's a myth. Sure there a people who don't support the Broncos but they make up the majority of QLD based support for other NRL teams. In particular your Dragons, the Warriors, the Cowboys, the Bulldogs, the Titans and the Rabbits. The rest who don't support the Broncos, only support RL during Origin. They're the one's who support the Lions, Reds and/or Roar.

Joker's Wild

Coach
And as far as the non-Bronco supporting Brisbane population is concerned, I don't have to trust you. I live here in Brisbane and it's a myth. Sure there a people who don't support the Broncos but they make up the majority of QLD based support for other NRL teams. In particular your Dragons, the Warriors, the Cowboys, the Bulldogs, the Titans and the Rabbits. The rest who don't support the Broncos, only support RL during Origin. They're the one's who support the Lions, Reds and/or Roar.

Wouldnt this also be the case on the CC? RL supporters there would also already be following other teams.

Goddo

Bench
Wouldnt this also be the case on the CC? RL supporters there would also already be following other teams.
Also there is a case that fans of other clubs in Brisbane will get to see their team twice. This will provide significant interest and attendence for any new SE Queensland side, especially if they play at Suncorp. Thats one of the advantages Brisbane II would have slightly over Western Corridor, and a lot over Central Queensland or Gosford.

A market as big as Brisbanes should have another club. The game isn't getting value out of Brisbane considering how strong it is there.

adamkungl

Immortal
No one will ever give a f**k about a badly named Broncos clone set up to appease a television network.

Every. single. other bid is saying 'we want our own local team to support'. Perth, CC, Rockhampton, Ipswich, PNG, Wellington. The Bombers bid is saying 'we're worth the most $$$'.

Soulless abortion of a club if it ever comes into existence. Die now please.

This is where community engagement comes in. Incorporating the brand into the very fabric of the community and making sure there are stand alone fans if given the green light. Given the Bears already have their own hub of support which stretches generations, there isn't much similarities at all.

Matter of fact no SEQLD bid has even bothered to get out and about in the community and that alone isn't going down too well with the locals who were sitting on the fence about them.

AuDragon

Juniors
Why is out of the question? In the 90's during the Dragons success of reaching 4 GF's they weren't in the top 5 viewed teams. The Broncos are a completely different animal (no pun) completely. Much of their success via. TV viewership was post-merging. Sure they've always had decent crowds but even then, in the 90's there was a time they struggled to crack 10k consistently. Things change with time and better management.

At the end of the day the Bears brand has been held through thick and thin based on support. It's that support which will be contagious and spread if given the green light for admission.

You can't compare the 90's with the present. To use your words, completely different animals, especially when it comes to TV broadcast!

You should also get your facts straight: The Broncos lowest average ever was in the year of their inception, with 16.5K. After that it continuously went up until 1997, where the SL war caused massive drops in crowds and even then, their average was still 19.5K. After that, it went up again until it reached the 30-35K where it seems to have stabilised.

The Bears average was 10-12K in the 90's, with the exception of 1991 and 1995 where they had 15K, and even lower before that in the 70's and 80's (4-8K). TBH, I was actually surprised by this, as it is well below Manly's numbers and not even comparable with Newcastle.

As for Brisbane support, let's just agree to disagree as you and I must move amongst totally different people... :roll:

You can't compare the 90's with the present. To use your words, completely different animals, especially when it comes to TV broadcast!

You should also get your facts straight: The Broncos lowest average ever was in the year of their inception, with 16.5K. After that it continuously went up until 1997, where the SL war caused massive drops in crowds and even then, their average was still 19.5K. After that, it went up again until it reached the 30-35K where it seems to have stabilised.

The Bears average was 10-12K in the 90's, with the exception of 1991 and 1995 where they had 15K, and even lower before that in the 70's and 80's (4-8K). TBH, I was actually surprised by this, as it is well below Manly's numbers and not even comparable with Newcastle.

As for Brisbane support, let's just agree to disagree as you and I must move amongst totally different people... :roll:

Without the 90's shambles, we wouldn't be here today. It's important to take what we can, from when we can to further better ourselves. Disregarding it completely means we'll be open to the same mistakes repeating.

Plus I didn't even mention the Broncos like that, I was mentioning the Dragons and it was only slightly about crowds but more-so about TV viewership and how everything can change i.e. Dragons from then to now. Which is a clear indication that with the right implementations, a club like the CCBears can grow steadily into becoming one of the more popular amongst TV viewing. You pretty much summed it up as "out of the question", but how can it be when all it takes is hard work and dedication in the right places to accomplish such growths?

As for Brisbane's support, we can agree to disagree if you want. But I've lived around here for 20+ years and have deep roots embedded in rugby league via. family, friends and junior clubs. I can tell you right now that this "massive" non-Bronco contigent is a myth. Sure, like aforementioned those people do exist but no where in the numbers which some of you who don't live here are suggesting.

Goddo

Bench
No one will ever give a f**k about a badly named Broncos clone set up to appease a television network.

Every. single. other bid is saying 'we want our own local team to support'. Perth, CC, Rockhampton, Ipswich, PNG, Wellington. The Bombers bid is saying 'we're worth the most $$$'.

I agree and thats why I support the Ipswich/Logan bid. It has most of the advantages of the Bombers bid, but with a positive image.

The "Bombers" bid is right in saying its worth the most money and the arguements made about Q Cup/juniors support is valid. It has everything going for it except for being completely souless.

South East Queensland should get another side, but not the Bombers. They are a poor reflection of the Broncos.

Whatever the decision on expansion, I'd expect the NRL to meddle with the bids to get what they want. Decide on a winner and tinker with them a bit.

AuDragon

Juniors
Without the 90's shambles, we wouldn't be here today. It's important to take what we can, from when we can to further better ourselves. Disregarding it completely means we'll be open to the same mistakes repeating.

Plus I didn't even mention the Broncos like that, I was mentioning the Dragons and it was only slightly about crowds but more-so about TV viewership and how everything can change i.e. Dragons from then to now. Which is a clear indication that with the right implementations, a club like the CCBears can grow steadily into becoming one of the more popular amongst TV viewing. You pretty much summed it up as "out of the question", but how can it be when all it takes is hard work and dedication in the right places to accomplish such growths?

As for Brisbane's support, we can agree to disagree if you want. But I've lived around here for 20+ years and have deep roots embedded in rugby league via. family, friends and junior clubs. I can tell you right now that this "massive" non-Bronco contigent is a myth. Sure, like aforementioned those people do exist but no where in the numbers which some of you who don't live here are suggesting.
Where do you think I live? :shock:

Knightmare

Coach
How would you know that?

Well, by viewing figures for each individual team. Say the Dragons play Canterbury one weekend and the total viewing figures are 800,000. From this, we can suppose that there were 400,000 Dragons fans watching and 400,000 Canterbury fans interested in the match as well.

Now the following weekend, say the Brisbane Bombers play the Dragons on FTA and the figures are only 400,000. What do you suppose from those figures? That in the space of a week, 400,000 Dragons fans suddenly didn't bother tuning in, or that the only people who really cared about tuning in, watching the game and seeing the adverts the sponsors paid for were Dragons fans, because nobody really gives enough of a f**k about the Bombers to tune in specifically to watch them?

This is why people like myself keep speaking out against the "Too many teams in NSW/ not enough in Qld/ WA/ SA/ NT/ China/ The Moon" argument to expansion, because it doesn't matter where you put a team, it brings nothing to the game or the TV networks if nobody (or next to nobody) can be bothered following them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given Brisbane gets around 4-500k viewers for NRL games and Broncos get less than 40k crowds it would suggest there is a lot of RL fans in Brisbane not currently going to Broncos games?

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Well, by viewing figures for each individual team. Say the Dragons play Canterbury one weekend and the total viewing figures are 800,000. From this, we can suppose that there were 400,000 Dragons fans watching and 400,000 Canterbury fans interested in the match as well.

Now the following weekend, say the Brisbane Bombers play the Dragons on FTA and the figures are only 400,000. What do you suppose from those figures? That in the space of a week, 400,000 Dragons fans suddenly didn't bother tuning in, or that the only people who really cared about tuning in, watching the game and seeing the adverts the sponsors paid for were Dragons fans, because nobody really gives enough of a f**k about the Bombers to tune in specifically to watch them?

This is why people like myself keep speaking out against the "Too many teams in NSW/ not enough in Qld/ WA/ SA/ NT/ China/ The Moon" argument to expansion, because it doesn't matter where you put a team, it brings nothing to the game or the TV networks if nobody (or next to nobody) can be bothered following them.

You are not taking into account the neutral viewers.

Given Brisbane gets around 4-500k viewers for NRL games and Broncos get less than 40k crowds it would suggest there is a lot of RL fans in Brisbane not currently going to Broncos games?

Or there is a lot of arm chair Bronco fans.

Or the majority of Bronco fans can't afford to go to games.

Knightmare

Coach
True, but I highly doubt these people would suddenly attend Bombers games if they aren't already going to see the Broncos play. I have yet to meet a person up here who reckons they'd support the Bombers if they entered the comp. I don't think I have even heard of a person who reckons they would.

The Bears and Reds bid supporters are made up largely of people who would support those teams if/ when they enter the competition, but it seems most everybody who is saying the Bombers or Ipswich should get the spot already have other teams they follow and won't be changing their allegiences.

Perth Red

Post Whore
True it is a big hole in both Brisbane bids, will be interesting to see how they address it in the next 6 months. They keep threatening on Facebook to do something yet nothing has happened yet. Im amazed they don;t have a free membership scheme like CQ has done.

Or there is a lot of arm chair Bronco fans.

Or the majority of Bronco fans can't afford to go to games.

True it is a possibility but it would be massively disproportionate compared to any other club in the country and as such highly unlikely. The more logical answer is that there are a lot of people in Brisbane who follow RL but are not Broncos supporters. Now if these people would follow the Bombers or WC (?Jets) is the inponderable at the moment.

bobmar28

Bench
The Titans form has killed their viewing and crowd numbers. When they were winning, both were well up there, especially in Qld despite the perception they are not truly a Qld team by some.

Is the Gold Coast considered...by some...to be northern NSW?

bobmar28

Bench

And take that stupid AFL name with you.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Is the Gold Coast considered...by some...to be northern NSW?

There is a perception amongst some Qlders that the Titans focus too much on the Nthern NSW area for their jnrs rather than from the Tweed up, making them not a "true Qld team".