What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

magpie_man

Juniors
The two regions are a significant distance apart geographically, socially and culturally and strategies in junior development, memberships, community engagement and sponsorships will require significantly different approaches in each area.

Similar things were said about the balmain/inner west and macarthur regions when the wests tigers joint venture was being bandied about.

rednblack

Juniors
Well, Gyngel has said outright he wants another South East Queensland team if 9 are expected to pay more for Free to air rights.

So if expansion doesn't happen (or is delayed beyond 2015), does Gyngel expect to not pay more than he currently does? Time to wake up here - the rights WILL go up in value, its just by how much that will be negotiated (including for the first portion of the new deal, where only the current existing teams will compete).

Perth Red

Post Whore
The flip side of this of course is if the IC decided that the value to the other clubs via TV value of the location of new teams was less important and this windfall was going to be used to invest in the future of the game and to start to strategically place the game where it wants to be for decades to come. If that was the case then you would have to be looking at expansion areas like Perth, Wellington and Adelaide not NSw or Q'land.
RL has always played it safe so I fully expect Perth and either CC or one of the Brisbane bids to be the two that get the nod.
ps still waiting on Gallop to tell us why 2015 and not 2014?

PaddyBoy

Juniors
To be honest, I'd support any bid that promised to claw the f**k out of french rugby (for all the players) and the saffas (because they annoy me).

Keep the quality, and pillage the french. Leave the fatties.

Goddo

Bench
To be honest, I'd support any bid that promised to claw the f**k out of french rugby (for all the players) and the saffas (because they annoy me).

Keep the quality, and pillage the french. Leave the fatties.
Some sort of pilaging and searching for more/new tallent will be one of the consequences of expansion.

By expanding we create around 50-60 new first grade job oportunities along with 50-60 Toyota Cup places two years after increasing the salary cap/grant to around $6-7M, as well as reinforcing the Qld/NSW Cup (although cup changes are already afoot with NSW based NRL clubs being kicked out of Qld, making NSW stronger but leaving a vacum in Qld).

The initial increase in the cap will at least interest the likes of SBW and the best of British like Tomkins will find the NRL an option other than European Rugby. Then there is the players like Jarod Saffy now in Super Rugby.

I also think if the clubs are in a better position financially they will scout more internationally (particuarily PNG, NZ and the Pacific). With an salary cap covered by the grant it frees up money for scouting and training facilities.

This along with more cash available for juniors is where the new TV deal will be most beneficial. Good things to look forward toafter the commission gets up.

Knightmare

Coach
Well, Gyngel has said outright he wants another South East Queensland team if 9 are expected to pay more for Free to air rights. Perth has the obvious attractions of timezone for pay TV.

Its Perth and Brisbane's (which bid though?) to lose.

Gyngell would do well to pay attention to the polls which showed that a large amount of Qld respondants want the Bears as one of the next expansion teams. Or maybe he should head down to Fox Studios and ask to see which is the most featured/ watched team in 'Chooseday Night Football'?

It's not a Qld team ;-)

And there's no point paying extra money to get the Bombers/ Ipswich/ We really suck but at least we aint a NSW team- into the comp if nobody can be f**ked watching them on TV. See how long advertisers fork out for that...

bobmar28

Bench
Gyngell can get f**ked tbh...about time we dictated terms to the networks, not the other way around.

I don't agree. I think we should give them whatever they are prepared to pay big bucks for.

I"m sick of seeing the AFL splashing around money they got from TV rights.

By the way, Gyngell only represents one network.

bobmar28

Bench
Gyngell would do well to pay attention to the polls which showed that a large amount of Qld respondants want the Bears as one of the next expansion teams. Or maybe he should head down to Fox Studios and ask to see which is the most featured/ watched team in 'Chooseday Night Football'?

It's not a Qld team ;-)

And there's no point paying extra money to get the Bombers/ Ipswich/ We really suck but at least we aint a NSW team- into the comp if nobody can be f**ked watching them on TV. See how long advertisers fork out for that...

How would you know that?

Perth Red

Post Whore
All the evidence would suggest the opposite re increased viewing figures when a Q'land team features, but that doesn't suit his argument!

All the evidence would suggest the opposite re increased viewing figures when a Q'land team features, but that doesn't suit his argument!

That's not entirely true. At the end of the day people who watch league will watch league regardless of who is playing. Knightmare has a point, the Bears have more support in Qld then any current Qld based bid and the games that do show the Bears (Norths albeit) via. Chooseday Night Football does poll and rate well. Suggesting that interest is definitely there, regardless of where it's from. That all stems from 100years+ brand and the fact that generational support very much exists. One cannot deny this. The CCBears brand will only add and amplify what already is there as far as existing support is concerned. I have no doubt that if given the go ahead we'll be watched just as much as any of the top teams currently are.

AuDragon

Juniors
That's not entirely true. At the end of the day people who watch league will watch league regardless of who is playing. Knightmare has a point, the Bears have more support in Qld then any current Qld based bid and the games that do show the Bears (Norths albeit) via. Chooseday Night Football does poll and rate well. Suggesting that interest is definitely there, regardless of where it's from. That all stems from 100years+ brand and the fact that generational support very much exists. One cannot deny this. The CCBears brand will only add and amplify what already is there as far as existing support is concerned. I have no doubt that if given the go ahead we'll be watched just as much as any of the top teams currently are.
Really?:crazy:

RBB, you're not one of the people I would've expected such dribble from... :roll:

firechild

First Grade
The recent association between Norffs and Souffs is starting to rub off on the Bears fans. Delusions of grandeur.

Really?:crazy:

RBB, you're not one of the people I would've expected such dribble from... :roll:

Why wouldn't we? A combination of the nostalgic factor, the return of the Bears brand factor and the 3rd oldest team in the competition will pull in viewers. Combine that with the interstate support, the Central Coast suport which wouldn't have been counted in the previous Norths incarnation and rivalry/traditional clashes vs. Manly, Souths, Roosters, Saints, Tigers and I really do believe we'll be up there as one of the most viewed teams.

Of course alot will also come down to the brand of football we would play. If we could accomplish this in the 90's with a lesser demographic, then there's no reason to suggest we can't do it again in the 10's and so forth with a larger overall population.

Firechild said:
The recent association between Norffs and Souffs is starting to rub off on the Bears fans. Delusions of grandeur.

Speak for yourself champ. How easy you guys forget who gave your club life to begin with.

firechild

First Grade
So what? Homo erectus gave life to Homo sapiens and look where that got them. Funnily enough the result for both them and the bears was the same...extinction.

rednblack

Juniors
So what? Homo erectus gave life to Homo sapiens and look where that got them. Funnily enough the result for both them and the bears was the same...extinction.

- in my best David Attenborugh voice -

...And the Sea Eagle is a protected endangered species, unable to thrive in it's diminishing natural habitat, and feeling the threat of encroaching predators. It reacts to these threats by displaying it's natural arrogance, and producing a bile dribble. Rarely sighted more than a few miles from Sydney's northern beaches, the Sea Eagle is regarded as a nuisance by most humans, due to its incessantly loud and irritating ramblings.
If not for the intervention of the ARL, it too would now be extinct, and is far from safe, given the current climate...

AuDragon

Juniors
Why wouldn't we? A combination of the nostalgic factor, the return of the Bears brand factor and the 3rd oldest team in the competition will pull in viewers. Combine that with the interstate support, the Central Coast suport which wouldn't have been counted in the previous Norths incarnation and rivalry/traditional clashes vs. Manly, Souths, Roosters, Saints, Tigers and I really do believe we'll be up there as one of the most viewed teams.

Of course alot will also come down to the brand of football we would play. If we could accomplish this in the 90's with a lesser demographic, then there's no reason to suggest we can't do it again in the 10's and so forth with a larger overall population.
Maybe the first months or even first season at best, but then the curiosity would wear off, and you would go back to the levels of Manly or Newcastle.

Consistently achieving Broncos or Dragons ratings is realistically out of the question for the Bears.

The curiosity factor would favour any new team in the comp really. After that, it will be down to demographics, affinity and indeed the brand of footy played. But the latter will change from season to season, according to coach and players comings and goings...

A 2nd Brisbane/SEQ team has much more potential to attract big numbers than the Bears imo, first through that curiosity and eventually through and a multitude of factors, such as having an NRL game every week in Brisbane, traditional support for Qld teams in the state, amalgamation of all the NRL aficionados without a club they're willing to support in Brisbane, especially against the hated Broncos (trust me, there are a lot of them! :lol:), etc...

rednblack

Juniors
The curiosity factor would favour any new team in the comp really. After that, it will be down to demographics, affinity and indeed the brand of footy played....

A 2nd Brisbane/SEQ team has much more potential to attract big numbers than the Bears imo, first through that curiosity and eventually through and a multitude of factors...

Didn't happen for the most recent team that was plonked in SEQ (titans). Curiosity factor to begin with (as you suggested), and then a whole heap of nothing! Brisbane would be a slightly different scenario, agreed, but would it be as different as you suggest? Doubtful, based on the strength (or lack thereof) of any of the current Brisbane-based bids. They would have to improve their affairs dramatically if any of them are to see the successful results you predict.