What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
Call it Sydney, NSW, Greater Sydney, or the Newscastle - Wollongong corridor. We all know exactly what that means in Rugby League terms. The real question is, while *that* area has 10 existing franchises should any new franchise be granted there at the expense of any desirable and qualified candidates from outside that area? Surely we don't need an atlas and a measuring stick to understand that question in the context of Australia and New Zealand's highest club competition, the NRL?

Leigh

Australia is an area, too, and is already host to 15 teams - 15! Talk about a crowded market! We should be looking at Beijing, New York and N'Djamena - imagine the TV ratings! Who cares about, you know, setting up teams where people are passionate about the game and will turn out in droves to support their team, we need those pins in the map, dammit!

RHCP

Bench
Australia is an area, too, and is already host to 15 teams - 15! Talk about a crowded market! We should be looking at Beijing, New York and N'Djamena - imagine the TV ratings! Who cares about, you know, setting up teams where people are passionate about the game and will turn out in droves to support their team, we need those pins in the map, dammit!
I'm glad you finally see the big picture.

BDGS

Bench
The future of the NRL is the youth of today/tomorrow and what the NRL should do is to give the boot to a few Sydney clubs be it by merge/relocation or extermination and place there sides in CC/Perth/QLD and NZ.It might f**k off the long suffering fan/die hard fan of clubs like the Sharks,Roosters or Penrith but any fans who will be lost to Rugby League like what happend with Super League will be replaced by the younger generation who just want the options to see hard tackling,free flowing game with tries involved and not f**king penalty shoot out's or blokes in tight shorts getting points for missing goals.

The NRL does not support relocation's and do not look at mergers favorably anymore.

They wouldn't stand in the way of a relocation but much prefer new areas get their own team with their own identity. That way it doesn't take that team 30 years + to become part of the location it is in.

Spanner in the works

First Grade

Great work!:thumb

Perth Red

Post Whore
This man has more vision than our games leaders!

1181360874_5.jpg

BDGS

Bench
Fans have to start getting behind our leaders, only then RL will reach the heights it deserves.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WA's response:
The man behind Perth's bid for an NRL team fears the league could lose some momentum if expansion was delayed until 2015
Western Australia Rugby League chief executive John Sackson said he understood Gallop's concerns but believed a 2013 entry for a Perth-based team would strengthen the competition.
"I just feel that 2015 is just that little bit too far away," Sackson told AAP on Wednesday.
"Rugby league has momentum here now. I think we've got a lot more media, community and corporate interest in the game.
"If rugby league is genuine about its intention to grow and develop nationally then strategically it just makes sense to come to Perth.
"Having said that, at the end of the day we want an NRL team playing in Perth, and if the governing body felt 2015 was the year for expansion, then if we won the right we would embrace it."
Sackson said the Perth bid team would continue to work on a 2013 entry.
"We will continue our focus on 2013 until someone tells us it's not going to be 2013," Sackson said.
"But clearly as time ticks over, the longer this goes, the longer it will eat into the 18 months (preparation a team would need).
"David Gallop has always been consistent saying any new franchise would need 18 months from acceptance to kick-off.
"The more that time erodes, the greater the risk of a less than perfect launch if you were a successful franchise."

http://www.nrl.com/perth-bid-team-urges-earlier-expansion/tabid/10874/newsid/63450/default.aspx

KiamaSaint

Coach
Fair call if the game isn't ready for new teams no point expanding too early. Need a team in Perth and another team in QLD and possible relocation of the SHarks or Rabbits.

flame away

Did you say Sharks or Rabbits? Surely you mean Sharks and Rabbits.

Belly07

Juniors
I'm not sure if this issue has been address here or not, but I do know that there has been alot of discussion regarding the issue of expansion within the NRL. I'd personally like to see (sorry Sharks fans) Cronulla supported by the NRL and moved to Perth....and another Sydney team moved to Adelaide and supported by the NRL.

So....who would like to see expansion and who wouldnt

clarency

Juniors
I'm pretty sure everyone would... The image of the Reds is just as strong as the Bears... no relocation to Perth from me. Adelaide is a medium term project. Sharks out. Manly relocate.... Umm... what else??? No PNG. One more in NZ.

bottle

Coach
Interesting concept, never before broached. What I like to see, new ground being broken.

Loudstrat

Coach
Wow - no oneever thought of an expansion thread before you f*cking fruitcake.

Paris Hilton has has less orgasms than there are expansion threads here.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Perth / West Australia - stand alone - yesterday cemented the bid IMO and ASAP

Central coast - only relocation - must be at the expense of a Sydney club, can wait till a Sydney club is 'forced' -Souths and Sharks are in line but a development go ahead for the sharks may yet save them.

Brisbane 2 - Got to be eventually, but Perth first.

and FYI this is the 10th thread in three months about expansion.

bottle

Coach
Can someone please start a thread on expansion...i think it should be discussed ASAP.

I second the motion. And there should be multiple references in it to Gosford being part of Sydney, that would be extremely helpful as well. You know it makes sense, after all, Bowraville is in Qld so why the f**k not?