What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters
Relocate Manly and Nulla and Sydney will be fine imo.

Sydney is growing and the saturation coverage we have there in Australia’s biggest and oldest city is great. It’s just over-saturated atm and we need to give the clubs there some breathing room.

CC Bears need to join the comp, even if it looks like they may not get the nod this time. The CC is a growing area and deserves representation in the NRL.

Relocate manly and somehow sydney will be fine?

Statements like this come from people with zero knowledge of sydney geography.

From a sydney point of view manly would be one of the worst teams to lose. Its the only presence rugby league has north of the harbour.

Manly have no negative impact on the finances or viability of other sydney clubs

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Relocate manly and somehow sydney will be fine?

From a sydney point of view manly would be one of the worst teams to lose. Its the only presence rugby league has north of the harbour.

Manly have no negative impact on the finances or viability of other sydney clubs

I’ve lived & worked in northern and eastern Sydney. I travel down to watch football there every year. But hey, keep the eye-patch on if you want...

Yes Manly needs to relocate, or is there an upgrade planned for Brookie that only you know about?

it is as far as Oztam are concerned http://www.oztam.com.au/pdf/TV_ratings/metro_coverage_maps.pdf

look at the Sydney map

we already have enough Sydney teams for advertisers and TV ratings

And Ipswich, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast & Redcliffe fall into Brisbane's OZTam. Which also already watch the game. So what is your point exactly?
http://www.oztam.com.au/pdf/TV_Ratings/TVratingsguide.pdf (scroll to page 14)

But what the NRL doesn't have is the huge NS corporate section (only becomes subjected due to the Bears historical brand) which in itself has enough money to put most of these arguements to bed because it's still one of the biggest untapped corporate sections for the game.

Last edited:
no shit

we only have two teams there dopey. Brisbane has a catchment of 2,982,000

we already have 9 teams in Sydney which has a catchment of 4,635,000

so you do the math

I did the math and there's approx. 1.1 million catchment of people north of Sydney and into the CC without a team and a bid which is raring to go. This catchement is also the 3rd biggest corporate section in Australia.

Just because a few companies have their headquarters just north of the harbour doesn't mean the "Central Coast" Bears are going to attract a heap of corporate support from those companies. If any of them were interested in supporting RL there are 9 other clubs in the area, including one up the road at Manly. If a company is based in Brisbane wants to back a team it has one choice.

And once again, if Norths want to claim they are not a Sydney team they can't have it both ways and claim the north shore as part of their area. It's one or the other.

I’ve lived & worked in northern and eastern Sydney. I travel down to watch football there every year. But hey, keep the eye-patch on if you want...

Yes Manly needs to relocate, or is there an upgrade planned for Brookie that only you know about?

If its purely the stadium you're worried about i would suggest there are more options to explore before we move rugby league out of northern sydney.

Ive lived here my whole life , and i can tell you to do so will kill rugby league here.

For instance something couod be explored where manly play 4 or 5 games at brookie and their other home games at the SFS ( against southern and western sydney teams)

Similar to the tigers situation.

Im not certain that would work , but faced between a choice of that or nothing im sure most manly fans would at least give it a try.

Just because a few companies have their headquarters just north of the harbour doesn't mean the "Central Coast" Bears are going to attract a heap of corporate support from those companies. If any of them were interested in supporting RL there are 9 other clubs in the area, including one up the road at Manly. If a company is based in Brisbane wants to back a team it has one choice.

And once again, if Norths want to claim they are not a Sydney team they can't have it both ways and claim the north shore as part of their area. It's one or the other.

And yet people keep forgetting that due to the BEARS brand, we can claim these areas. Because if you have been established in a certain area for over 100 years then you sort of have the right to have links still established to the area. We are a Central Coast side and thats the big difference you and other keep forgetting. It it wasn't the Central Coast Bears, if it was just a Central Coast "Somethings" then to claim the NS would be wrong.

But due to a huge historically rich foundation, we, and the NRL also acknowledge this and have stated it's a big attraction of the bid, CAN claim these areas.

And trust me it's more then a "few companies" which you say. Some of the biggest Australian companies are based there and I'll tell you right now, more then a "few" want to get involved with the Bears. Most are waiting until a franchise license is given but a few have already extended their support and willingness to get involved asap.

Last edited:

clarency

Juniors
I think the 1.1mil figure is a bit rich.

1. Cut that figure into people who actually give a sh*t about sport.
2. Then cut that figure into people who prefer rugby league as their preferred sport.
3. Then cut that figure into people who don't already follow an existing rugby league team.

I would imagine this figure to be quite small. Enough to maintain a healthy rugby league team, but nothing majorly impressive.

ceagle

Bench
relocate manly and somehow sydney will be fine?

QFT. Our poor crowds this year have been down to awful conditions, it has rained every game at Brookie bar the Parra game last Monday where we drew 14,000

Last edited:
QFT. Our poor crowds this year have been down to awful conditions, it has rained every game at Brookie bar the Parra game last Monday where we drew 14,000

Well this is all the more argument for a stadium upgrade.

I dont ever want to see manly lost to the comp in their current form.

But one thing is for sure , they cant play at brookie in its current state forever. ( at least not on a permanent basis)

I did the math and there's approx. 1.1 million catchment of people north of Sydney and into the CC without a team and a bid which is raring to go. This catchement is also the 3rd biggest corporate section in Australia.

Where are you getting this 1.1 million figure from?

would love to see a breakdown.

Personally I dont think its anywhere near 1.1 million.