What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL backs clubs in fight against pokies reform / supports exploitation of vulnerable

Herzog

Juniors
people have a choice.

If they choose to piss away their dole cheques through the pokies that is there fault.

They have the power to change that, and there are mechanisms in place to change that.

Noone forces them to go to the club, noone forces them to put their money in the poker machine...

To say they are vulnerable is just stupid.

You have an archaic comprehension of human psychology and brain chemistry. If you'd like to read more about it, give us a message, I don't have enough posts to put up a link.

Last edited:

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
There is also no correlation between pokie machine revenue and kids playing sport:

image_thumb%5B7%5D.png

And that pokies revenue doesn't always equal more money into the community:
image_thumb%5B11%5D.png

Herzog

Juniors
Now I'm going to wait for the anecdotal evidence and straw man arguments against this Ice.

If stupid deadshits want to spend more money than they have it won't matter what do-gooders do to prevent it. Maybe cutting their dole cheques in the first place would be a good idea too so they won't have the money to throw away, but the same whinging soft-c**ks who want to ban pokies would be against that too.

Herzog

Juniors
If stupid deadshits want to spend more money than they have it won't matter what do-gooders do to prevent it. Maybe cutting their dole cheques in the first place would be a good idea too so they won't have the money to throw away, but the same whinging soft-c**ks who want to ban pokies would be against that too.

Oi, will I see you at the dog fights tonight?

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors

Do you honestly believe everyone with a pokies problem is unemployed or on welfare?

Try again.

Quigs

Immortal
Thing I hate about the modern day league is their reliance upon gambling. I am not a wowser by a country mile.

But nothing pisses me off more then having some goose telling me the current odds every three minutes or Rabs waffling on about a punter betting $35 grand at the start of a game. Then telling us to punt responsibly.

Its the same with pokies. The NRL and the clubs should of seen this coming zonks ago. It was getting out of hand. Years ago pokies were installed everywhere. As Scotty said to the skipper "somethings gonna blow".

Well the sh!t is hitting the fan.

I remember when the androtop sponsorship was stopped for sport. The world was going to end as we all knew it.

It didn't.

I just hate the pokies too.

Blew em all up.

mickdo

Coach
Despicable action here by Rupert Murdoch and NEWS LTD to run this campaign. Sorry NRL, but you've lost me and my money. I will not be buying anything NRL or club related, or watching games until this shit is off the air. If that hurts my own club then so be it, but it just isn't on. The sooner we get these blood suckers out of the game, the better.

innsaneink

Referee
It seems the general feeling is that the pokies aren't a problem. That's very disappointing.

Instead of criticising the NRL and clubs for relying on such an unsustainable form of revenue, you're willing to accept something that significantly harms society because it gives your club some money.

Pokies arent the problem, the problem lies with those that cannot use it in moderation.
Same with ANYONE and ANYTHING.
wHY SHOULD i be penalised because the minority get themselves addicted to something?

innsaneink

Referee
If these reforms go through I must register to play....I gotta go out of my way to register to do something I may decide to do on a whim, spur of the moment...if I find myself in a club and feel like putting $20 through.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
If these reforms go through I must register to play....I gotta go out of my way to register to do something I may decide to do on a whim, spur of the moment...if I find myself in a club and feel like putting $20 through.

Wait.

You mean like how when you enter a club that is near your home, you have to become a member in order to gain entry?

mickdo

Coach
Pokies arent the problem, the problem lies with those that cannot use it in moderation.
wHY SHOULD i be penalised because the minority get themselves addicted to something?

Yeah, and only a minority commit murder, steal cars, break windows, so we should probably get rid of laws and just tell the victims to suck it up I guess

innsaneink

Referee
Wait.

You mean like how when you enter a club that is near your home, you have to become a member in order to gain entry?
Yeah....much like toddling off to the nearest GA meeting.

Junkies have been addicted to illegal substances for decades, govt intervention wont help your friend, just penalises others.
Your friend must help herself.
There are avenues available.

sting

Bench
Yeah, and only a minority commit murder, steal cars, break windows, so we should probably get rid of laws and just tell the victims to suck it up I guess

Surely you can't be that dumb

FFS I'm sick of people not taking responsibility for their own actions

bottle

Coach
As the majority have said, if people are inclined to piss away their money they will find a way. Sad but true that some do need to be protected from themselves. Humanity, a bunch of losers sometimes. Such is life.

IanG

Coach

Exactly. I'm somebody who enjoys having a few bucks in the pokies when I go to the club and to be frank I consider it an insult to my inelegance that I’d be treated like a problem gambler. Problem with problem gamblers or people with any kind of addiction are they can never be treated until they admit they have a problem.

I’ve signed the beer coater petition. As I’ve said before too if I want to live in a Nanny State I’ll go live in Singapore.

So its Rugby League's fault that chick is a gambling addict.

Was she possessed by the NRL gambling devil that forced her to steal the chequebook?

No.

She made a choice, it was a bad choice. And most of all it was illegal.

She got off easy with 3 years.

RL clubs should not be allowed to profit from people like that IMO

People who say "too bad it's their own fault" have more than likely never known an addict of any kind and how easily it can destroy lives and not just the addict either but those around them suffer the most.

A lot of ignorant comments in this thread

Latest posts