What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL boss David Gallop offers $250,000 incentive to Dragons to move semi final to SFS

OurRedV

Juniors
Telegraph:

THE NRL has called on St George Illawarra to surrender home-ground advantage at Kogarah Oval in next weekend's first finals matches to prevent 28,000 fans from being locked out of the game.

Chief executive David Gallop phoned Dragons boss Peter Doust yesterday to offer a financial incentive of up to $250,000 to quit Kogarah and move to the Sydney Football Stadium.

It would be the first time a club has given up a home-ground advantage in semi-final football since the top four sides earned the right to play at home.

The Daily Telegraph has campaigned for the semi-final to be moved because the Dragons have denied thousands of supporters from Parramatta's blue and gold army from attending tonight's blockbuster at Kogarah Oval.

The move was intended to reward loyal red and white season ticket-holders but has caused a storm of controversy with St George Illawarra juniors holding free passes being denied access along with Eels fans.

The NRL is not prepared to allow it to happen two weeks in a row.

Gallop will have further talks with the Dragons that will likely involve coach Wayne Bennett tomorrow.

"We support St George's decision to play this Friday night game against Parramatta at Kogarah Oval," Gallop told the

The Daily Telegraph.

"They are looking after their members and corporates.

"But next week is a different proposition altogether. We have had discussions with Peter Doust about moving the game.

"At this stage they are just focussing on the Eels match and that's understandable.

"But the bottom line is we want to see as many fans as possible at our semi-finals while acknowledging the homeground advantage is an important part of our finals."

Moving the game from Kogarah, which can seat 18,000, to the SFS with a 46,000-capacity would generate a $1 million gate - adding $600,000 to NRL coffers.

But St George would receive up to 40 per cent of the extra sales - or $250,000.

Dragons sources have revealed the club has not dismissed the idea of moving the game and will obviously be heavily influenced by Bennett.

The encouraging sign is that the six-time premier coach has previously moved a final in the best interests of rugby league.

Back in 2004, his Broncos side was set down to play the Cowboys at the Sydney Football Stadium in a semi-final but Bennett agreed for the match to be transferred to the Cowboys' homeground in Townsville to get a bigger crowd.

It was sold-out and the NRL threw in $200,000 to compensate the SCG Trust for losing the game.

A full-house at the Sydney Football Stadium would generate around $800,000 in gate-takings - more than double what can be earned from Kogarah Oval.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Why aren't they trying to move Melbourne and Titans to grounds that can handle crowds larger than 30,000 as well?

I'll be filthy if the club takes up this offer. You can't put a price on having a hostile venue for the visitors in the finals, and Kogarah is as vocal as it gets.

OurRedV

Juniors
Same old sh*t really, so over the Telegraph and the NRL trying to ram raid us.

Just bugger off already.

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
Gallop, you can shove the money up your arse. We've earned a home final, so go move the titans game.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Were damned if we do and damned if we don't! :( But what is more important winning or cash? I say winning and looking after your fan base.

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
I agree, when was the last time we played a final at Kogarah? it's been a while hasn't it.

18to87

First Grade
Is there any possible way to get more fans in to Kogarah? Temporary seating or something?

I certainly would rather see the game at Kogarah but if they did move it to the SFS and then the Dragons won, no one would be that much worse off.

All about winning.

dragondad

First Grade
This time last year I don't remember Manly being asked to move the semi v the Dragons from Brookvale. LEAVE US ALONE!!

ronstevo

Juniors
This stinks. Gee I'm pissed off.

Tell me this Mr Gallop... how come St George is the only side being asked to move their home semi hey? The only side in quite some time to be asked? What about Manly last year? What a disgrace.... if we have to move our semi, then the TITANS should also be forced to move their's and so should the STORM or whoever gets the last home semi.

You have gotta be kidding me. Don't buy into the daily telegraph bullsh*t Gallop, I never thought you'd jump on the Telecrap bandwagon. Doust and Bennett... please, please stand firm. All Dragons members highly respect your decisions to keep games at Kogarah.

saints4ever

First Grade
This time last year I don't remember Manly being asked to move the semi v the Dragons from Brookvale. LEAVE US ALONE!!

Agree with that 100%
I honestly hope Bennett tells Gallop to stick his incentive. Where is the "reward" for being one of the best teams all year if we cant get a home semi?
Seriously, we all know the Dragons are very heavily followed, especially when we are winning, but people like the Mason family and the NRL need to take a step back and look at the big picture.
And in my mind, that big oil canvas reads: we played well all year to deserve a home semi, go talk to the other top four teams for once, f**k OFF AND LEAVE US ALONE!

dragondad

First Grade
Just was reminded of an interesting point from last year. The Storm lost to the Warriors in the 1 v 8 match and lost its home ground advantage the next week, despite being number 1 on the ladder. Why would we risk going to Melbourne or Brisbane if we lose at the SFS?

saint_girl

Juniors
I was so pissed off to wake up to this bullsh*t this morning. Such a great way to wake up on a Friday morning.

If they move ours, then they have to move all semi finals and not let anyone have a home advantage. So sick to death of all this Telecrap and now NRL bullsh*t agenda agains the saints.

We have earned our right to play at Kogarah next week. Just F**k off and leave us alone.

Big Mick

Referee
LOL.

NRL set to make a Mill in Gate takings...amd only offering 40% on the money Dragons can get.

If the Dragons agree to move..the NRL shouldn't profit from it...it should ALL go to the Dragons.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Why isn't this News Ltd piece of crap instead pressuring the f**king Storm to move theirs? Olympic Park holds far less than Kogarah.

Ridiculous.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just more bullsh*t from a tabloid. Somewhere between bending the truth to outright lies. A chunderous mix of paraphrasing, self righteousness and a regurgitation of toilet wall scribblings.

Why are we reading this crap?

Goddo

Bench
There has been far too much work, money and time put into Kogarah over the last 8 years or so to not hold it there. Doust owes the fans, the members, the corporates, sponsors, State Government, Federal Government, Kogarah Council and the army to hold it here.

Finals will be held at
ANZ Stadium -Bulldogs (hopefully against Parramatta - 50k crowd)
Jubilee Oval - Dragons (hopefully against Newcastle - 20k sellout)
Ethihad Stadium - Storm (hopefully against Manly -30k?)
Skilled Park - Titans (hopefully against Broncos - 28k sellout)

Given that likely first round, what has the NRL got to whinge about? They have had a dream run of match ups in the last few weeks. Channel 9 must be looking forward to this weeks games.

This also gives us an excuse to ask the government for more money for Jubilee Oval.