What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL considers radical changes

I read the article and my over all impression is "what a load of horse s#@$!" 25 minute quarters? No thanks. People are saying they want the game slowed down and fatigue brought in more as a factor to open things up for the little players - well 25 minutes quarters will do the reverse. Conditioning is easier for 25 minute quarters and it won't result in more free flowing football at all as the bigger players will be fresher. Yes they may play more minutes but with so many breaks it will be easier to.

Halftime entertainment? Who gives a rats. I spend it either going to the loo, or to get something to eat. If I am going to a game of rugby league solely based on the halftime entertainment then the on field game is in more trouble than I thought. I don't need to have some nobody blaring over the PA with music too loud, on sub-standard pa systems that drowns out their lyrics anyway - assuming they are not lip synching.

On field interviews suffer from the same problems, poor pa systems at most grounds. You are lucky if you can make out 1 word in 10 for many of them - all you hear is a droning noise. They tried this during the 2013 NRL Finals series and after witnessing it I wrote to the NRL and complained about it, it was a constant non-stop verbal assault on your ears. You just wanted the ground announcers to shut up so you could have a moment or two to think for yourself (yes some relative peace and quiet) or talk to the person next to you. Most of the interviews were so bland and un-insightful they made the Thursday Night Footy Show look like Four Corners.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I also love this quote "Remember when Cricket was played over 5 long days...."

Guess what Buzz??? It still f**king is, and if anything is the most popular form of the code in Australia. And the revolutionary 50 over game (which I agree was at the time) is almost over as a form of the game.

I also love how he is barely mentioned the Wanderers this year, as there season goes from one disaster to another. Last year he was insistant that they were the biggest club in Western Sydney and would be for the next 50 years.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
topballin' is the new trollin'

what a load of garbage. if this ever come to fruition they should shoot whoever gives it the green light

any move to quarters is from broadcasters (nein) who want to jam more ads in. its vastly changing the fabric of the game. nines is what they should be using for more ads

bobmar28

Bench
Two billion dollars? Sounds all right to me. The only way to get more money for the game is more ad breaks. And maybe expansion teams.
By the way Nine can't jam more ads in the nines because that format is owned by Foxtel.

Last edited:
Two billion dollars? Sounds all right to me. The only way to get more money for the game is more ad breaks.

Charge more for ad space then. f**k 25 minute quarters. They keep pissing about with the game we'll have our own version of American Football.

All great ideas. Anyone who is against this is a dinosaur who is scared of progress and change. These changes would improve the game immensely. Make it happen and don't listen to LU morons.

insert.pause

First Grade
Thanks to technology, the attention span of people is getting shorter, making the game longer just makes it easier to switch off before the game has finished.

Expansion and length of season sounds good, three extra games against rivals could be conferences and could be played all in one month, hyped up like finals series.

POPEYE

Coach
All great ideas. Anyone who is against this is a dinosaur who is scared of progress and change. These changes would improve the game immensely. Make it happen and don't listen to LU morons.

A chicken hunter after carp . . . you have to bleed them both

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
With 8 reserves and trainers on the sideline you could get a pretty mean game of musical chairs going. Let's go all out, entertainment on every sideline even when the game is going on.

I also think each bench should be required to come up with a different synchronized dance routine each week. That way along with the cheerleaders we can have a men's and woman's division where they play off for additional premiership points.

Oh and more Ben Ikin.

Topball.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
This article and the ideas/guesses within it is the stupidest shit I've read in a long time from a paid writer.

Rupert should send this peanut a bill for this article.

You realise there is a massive issue in media at the moment regarding ad space right?

It's a shitload easier said than done to just say..."well just charge more". There needs to be companies willing to pay.

Not working in the advertising industry, no I am not aware.

Zigwaa

Bench
Compensated for by increased interchanges and less games.

Not really if you add more game time then compensate for that, takes us back to the same place.

Someone who's a math magician calculate the extra minutes minus the number of less games and factor in extra interchanges somehow.

Anyway... so many flaws in the proposal. Only things I hope for is less games and expansion.