What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL expansion review process

oikee

Juniors
You look at American stadiums and they look fantastic, ,,,,why,,, because they build 100 thousand rectangle stadiums for their sports.
Same as Soccer grounds worldwide.

rooster25

Juniors
The Roosters play out of the Sydney Football Stadium (or Allianz to use it corporatized name). The city of Sydney, being very close to the Pacific Ocean, does not experience temperatures even close to freezing at any time. It would be very rare for any game at the SFS to be played in a temperature of 10 degrees or less. This isn't really all that cold, not like some other home grounds get. You rug up a bit and its OK. You need another excuse for not going to games.

What are you Tim Bailey or something? Sydney has had some terrible weather this winter and many night games this year I've sat in temps below 10 degrees not to mention the rain.

The point was that for the NRL to get more fans to games they need more day games and better stadiums to entice people to get out of the comfort of watching it on tv at home or at the pub

Perth Red

Post Whore
Recent comments from Smith

Smith said he expected that within 12 months the Commission would have decided whether to change its 16-team competition with eight different bids being prepared, including at least four from Queensland.

“I hope this time next year we have through what we would want from the next rights deal (for broadcasting to 2017) and what we want the structure of the competition to be like, where we want the teams to be, how many teams we want, the shape of our season,’’ he said.

“It’s not (about) the difference between 16 NRL teams and 18 NRL teams.

“It is to increase growth, through participation, engagement of our fans, engagement of mums and families.

“I think the Queensland market could have more NRL content, not less.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-suncorp-stadium/story-fniabrr8-1227018291015

The Great Dane

First Grade
What are you Tim Bailey or something? Sydney has had some terrible weather this winter and many night games this year I've sat in temps below 10 degrees not to mention the rain.

The point was that for the NRL to get more fans to games they need more day games and better stadiums to entice people to get out of the comfort of watching it on tv at home or at the pub

That sounds like a beautiful night out to me.

We're lucky to get a day game in the middle of winter above 10 degrees.

I can remember quite a few night games (luckily none occurred this year) that were so cold snot was freezing to everybody nostrils, everybody left those games with little green icicles hanging from their faces.

You really don't know what it is to be truly cold, apart from people who are from/who have been to the Arctic, Antarctic or Siberia nobody knows what it's like to be truly cold!

I can understand if it's below 0 °C (though I and most sports fans in Canberra have been to countless games in these conditions), not wanting to go in the rain, parents that don't want to take young children out in cold weather and other similar circumstances, but any healthy adult that uses temperatures above 0 °C as a reason not to go to an NRL game is just making excuses.

Diesel

Referee
Recent comments from Smith

Smith said he expected that within 12 months the Commission would have decided whether to change its 16-team competition with eight different bids being prepared, including at least four from Queensland.

?I hope this time next year we have through what we would want from the next rights deal (for broadcasting to 2017) and what we want the structure of the competition to be like, where we want the teams to be, how many teams we want, the shape of our season,?? he said.

?It?s not (about) the difference between 16 NRL teams and 18 NRL teams.

?It is to increase growth, through participation, engagement of our fans, engagement of mums and families.

?I think the Queensland market could have more NRL content, not less.??

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-suncorp-stadium/story-fniabrr8-1227018291015

Interesting, I get the feeling that expansion in some description will go ahead, 4 bids in QLD may make it a little too hard to say no & tv has said it'd be interested in another game. The earlier comment about structure and where they want teams to be makes me also think a relocation

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thing is they can not force a relocation. Licenses have just been renewed so they can't withhold one and send it elsewhere. No club, probably, is in such dire trouble they are about to close the doors so no one is voluntarily going to relocate.

Diesel

Referee
No, but the licenses have an expiry date and Sydney can't sustain 9 teams full time. Look at Manly & Roosters successful clubs on and off the field but can hardly draw fans to their games while teams like Cronulla unsuccessful on and off the field and can draw decent crowds considering their position on the ladder, I mention crowds because the NRL has a plan for clubs to have 20k crowds by 2018, while other clubs can't draw sponsors. Its going to be a war of attrition battling other NRL teams on one hand and fighting RU and AFL on the other for support and sponsorship

Edit: nutrition/attrition pays to proof read

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
No, but the licenses have an expiry date and Sydney can't sustain 9 teams full time. Look at Manly & Roosters successful clubs on and off the field but can hardly draw fans to their games while teams like Cronulla unsuccessful on and off the field and can draw decent crowds considering their position on the ladder, I mention crowds because the NRL has a plan for clubs to have 20k crowds by 2018, while other clubs can't draw sponsors. Its going to be a war of nutrition battling other NRL teams on one hand and fighting RU and AFL on the other for support and sponsorship

:D

oikee

Juniors
No, but the licenses have an expiry date and Sydney can't sustain 9 teams full time. Look at Manly & Roosters successful clubs on and off the field but can hardly draw fans to their games while teams like Cronulla unsuccessful on and off the field and can draw decent crowds considering their position on the ladder, I mention crowds because the NRL has a plan for clubs to have 20k crowds by 2018, while other clubs can't draw sponsors. Its going to be a war of attrition battling other NRL teams on one hand and fighting RU and AFL on the other for support and sponsorship

Edit: nutrition/attrition pays to proof read

All well and good, but it is pretty hard to fight the other codes when you dont even have a presence in their cities.
Adelaide and Perth dont care about NRL results, they dont even have a team.

Lets stop pulling our chains and think otherwise.

Our stadiums are crap, we need better and covered facilities for teams we already have, example, (Canberra, Manly,) , we need a mega stadium in the west, stop killing our atmosphere at ANZ, and we need to bring in two new teams for NZ and Brisbane.

Until that happens we will continue to be laughed at and get our heads kicked in by other codes.

Once it does happen, we will win the code war.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The best TV teams would be Perth and Wellington giving 3-4 live games on a Sunday. When Brisbane/GC can draw sell out crowds for the teams they've got then we should consider a third one for the area.

GC are in dire financials, putting another club next to them to compete for the corporate $ and fans would be crazy at this time. Broncos draw nothing like they should.

oikee

Juniors
The best TV teams would be Perth and Wellington giving 3-4 live games on a Sunday. When Brisbane/GC can draw sell out crowds for the teams they've got then we should consider a third one for the area.

GC are in dire financials, putting another club next to them to compete for the corporate $ and fans would be crazy at this time. Broncos draw nothing like they should.

Again, i agree that we need teams in Perth and NZ.
I dont think you quite grasp how Brisbane works.
The Titans need to be shifted up the road to Logan City. Play their games out of Suncorp.
It wont damage the brand but will gain a huge loyal following. The powers to be should never have put a new team back on the coast, it is nothing more than a tourist destination and Brisbane's holiday playground.
Logan is a hard-core league stronghold, always will be, unless you give it away to AFL.

So that would be two teams playing out of Suncorp without adding a team.
Next would be to expand a third team either in Ipswich or Moreton, which is North of Brisbane.
So their you would have 3 teams all playing out of Suncorp, this would come with rivalry, derbies and passion.
Until that happens, league will continue to be bent backwards with wrong decisions and nobody with sense of place or needs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The afl has ensured the NRL will not abandon the Gold Coast. What they need now is help to become the biggest club and hurt afl on that battle ground.

Ideally we'd see Wellington and Perth brought in as new clubs and a Sydney merger or relocation to free up a space to bring in a new Brisbane side.

goodplayer

Juniors
The afl has ensured the NRL will not abandon the Gold Coast. What they need now is help to become the biggest club and hurt afl on that battle ground.

Ideally we'd see Wellington and Perth brought in as new clubs and a Sydney merger or relocation to free up a space to bring in a new Brisbane side.

yes a relocation of perth sharks :p

CC_Roosters

First Grade

The TV money pretty much guarantees the survival of all Sydney clubs for the foreseeable future. Cannot see any mergers forthcoming and the only possibility I can see is a partial relocation to the central Coast by one club

Rodney

Juniors
The current sydney clubs aren't going to move, it'd do more harm than good.
The fans of the team who moved would most likely disassociate with the code and be lost.
The AFL managed to due to a lack of external pressure, no Storm, no Rebels. There was only AFL when Fitzroy and South Melbourne were culled so the fans either picked another team or kept their association because it was the best thing they had.

Demoting or moving any Sydney team is going to seem like a massive middle finger to their fans who will gladly be picked up by other codes or at least lost to our code.

Its much better to give new areas new teams imo

strong_latte

Juniors
The current sydney clubs aren't going to move, it'd do more harm than good.
The fans of the team who moved would most likely disassociate with the code and be lost.
The AFL managed to due to a lack of external pressure, no Storm, no Rebels. There was only AFL when Fitzroy and South Melbourne were culled so the fans either picked another team or kept their association because it was the best thing they had.

Demoting or moving any Sydney team is going to seem like a massive middle finger to their fans who will gladly be picked up by other codes or at least lost to our code.

Its much better to give new areas new teams imo

I'd love to see the Sharks moved to Perth for two reasons: 1. irony; and 2. It'd make Buzz Rothsloth cry.

taipan

Referee
I'd love to see the Sharks moved to Perth for two reasons: 1. irony; and 2. It'd make Buzz Rothsloth cry.

Yet their crowds whilst running last,are bigger than,Manly Penrith and Canberra and to date the Roosters ,and they actually own a ground they can and will develop infrastructure wise.That too is ironic.
Not too many Shark's fans give a rats rectum about Slothfield.

Latte needs more drips.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yet their crowds whilst running last,are bigger than,Manly Penrith and Canberra and to date the Roosters ,and they actually own a ground they can and will develop infrastructure wise.That too is ironic.

Latte needs more drips.

Setting the bar a bit low arent you???

strong_latte

Juniors

Latte needs more drips.

Well, by ironic I really meant in that Sharks are being actively hunted and exterminated in WA. As for Slothfield, I'm glad they don't, but I'd like to see him cry all the same.