What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL expansion review process

taipan

Referee
I dont think owning a stadium is going to help with the Law suits that are coming.

Nothing to do with owning their own ground re any Law suits.
There is such a thing called a $300m development and their share of profits and retail rental income.
The club despite all the ASADA crap this year had record sponsorship income despite not having a major jumper sponsor for the bulk of the season.
If there had been no development,the club would have been up sh*t street without a paddle.

taipan

Referee
Well, by ironic I really meant in that Sharks are being actively hunted and exterminated in WA. As for Slothfield, I'm glad they don't, but I'd like to see him cry all the same.

After Rothfield's comment about watching an AFL game on Friday night and the crowd of under 50,000 and he will be writing a story about it tomorrow,just continues to get him offside with league fans and Cronulla fans even more.
The guy is detrimental to the code.He sucks up to the AFL and soccer (via Gallop) big time.
I wish Frilingos was still around ,Rothfield is a journalistic cancer to rugby league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just a few more weeks until the expansion review gets underway. Mind you the last NRL game review took them 18months and saw virtually nothing come of it so lets not hold our breath!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep time to get the review happening, make it quick, make it concise and make some actions from it at all levels of expanding the game.

duylm

Juniors
Frasers central to NRL bid
Expansion in the NRL is always a hot topic, but talks are expected to heat up in the coming months with the ARL Commission set to narrow the field of expansion contenders in May.

I thought they were meant to start the process the moment the season finished. So 7 months before they even start calling for bids?!!? I can save them all that time: Brisbane + Perth. ...go.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

I thought they were meant to start the process the moment the season finished. So 7 months before they even start calling for bids?!!? I can save them all that time: Brisbane + Perth. ...go.

Seven months will pass in no time. Some of these bids have been up for nearly a decade already.

Hopefully there's more to it than just who they'll add in ~2018, it should also spell out where exactly they'll be focussing for club 19 and 20 and how they'll go about preparing those cities for an NRL team.

On top of that there are bound to be cities/regions that miss out, how will they make sure sure that the people running those bids aren't lost and stay with the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The review starts in November and the early stages will be about defining the areas they want new teams (and not just the next 2 to be added, but the next 8 or where current teams could move to, etc.)

The start of next season will probably be the confermation of locations for new teams (if any are to be taken) and the beginning of the tender process.

Personally i hope they dont close the tender until 2016/17 to give new bids an opportunity to form and establish themselves. This idea that the bids we have now (bids that were rich/brave/dumb enough to work without even confirmation that a team was wanted) or the best possible options is ridiculous...

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have a meeting with one of the commissioners next month on business, I am going to try and get some insider info! ��

Perth Red

Post Whore
The review starts in November and the early stages will be about defining the areas they want new teams (and not just the next 2 to be added, but the next 8 or where current teams could move to, etc.)

The start of next season will probably be the confermation of locations for new teams (if any are to be taken) and the beginning of the tender process.

Personally i hope they dont close the tender until 2016/17 to give new bids an opportunity to form and establish themselves. This idea that the bids we have now (bids that were rich/brave/dumb enough to work without even confirmation that a team was wanted) or the best possible options is ridiculous...

We currently have 5 possible serious bids with maybe 2 others from upto 5cities. Anyone else seriously interested would have come forward by now.

Really a straight forward decision process

1. Can the NRL afford two new teams
2. Which 2 cities are strategically most important

After that they can either a) open up bids from those two cities B) choose 2 of the existing bids c)ignore current bids and develop new clubs themselves in partnership with others

Ideally they will make the decision around middle of next season so the new clubs can be building momentum and signing players for kick off in 2018.

Perth Red

Post Whore
AFL expanded
ARU expands with national 2nd division 2014
Aleague to expand 2017
Super15 to expand 2016

whats the betting the NRL sits on its hands for a few more years?