What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL expansion review process

goodplayer

Juniors
you dont relise how powerful south African rugby union is

they bannlist the whole family in all sorts of ways on all defectors

bennett , roosters, nrl , have tried there a few times

getting the very good school players , did not work

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is it a RL thing as the eagles are doing afl work in SA and doesn't seem to be an issue with RU?

Tbh we haven't even got decent funding and systems in 3/4 of Australia let alone worrying about developing pathways in virgin countries.

The Great Dane

First Grade
you dont relise how powerful south African rugby union is

they bannlist the whole family in all sorts of ways on all defectors

bennett , roosters, nrl , have tried there a few times

getting the very good school players , did not work

In the end it all comes down to money.

If the NRL ever really wants any South African players they can afford to outbid what the SARU can.

BTW I still doubt that the SARU bans defectors (or their families for that matter), can you provide a recent example of them banning a player for life?

Is it a RL thing as the eagles are doing afl work in SA and doesn't seem to be an issue with RU?

Tbh we haven't even got decent funding and systems in 3/4 of Australia let alone worrying about developing pathways in virgin countries.

No ones suggesting that we start spending money on developing RL in South Africa, rather we are suggesting that we should be open to poaching some of the SARU's players.

BTW, yes it is a RL thing.

Historically the SARU has only ever been openly hostile to one sport, RL. I know for a fact that they have in the past ban players that have gone to RL and in the past have put up massive amounts of political red tape to stop anyone with plans of starting a RL competition over there.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
So if not to drive development of the game what's the point in signing saru players? Surely we are producing equal if not better in RL?

The Great Dane

First Grade
So if not to drive development of the game what's the point in signing saru players? Surely we are producing equal if not better in RL?

Yeah of course we're producing talent of equal and better quality (especially in the NRL).

It's just one of about one hundred different avenues we could take to flush the NRL with top quality talent quickly, for those people that are fond of saying that there isn't enough talent for more NRL teams.

But yeah you're right, there'd be no point if there was no thought to develop the game in RSA as well as to give the NRL a boost of talent, because there are many cheaper ways to get a boost of talent quickly, though most would not provide the same quality of talent as quickly as a raid of the SARU would.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Dave Smith talked out this in his recent interview. Made a few interesting comments that I hope I haven't misheard/mis-interpreted.

-Will take place at the end of this year and follow through to 2015 (already known but it's good to know nothing has changed).
-The review will be "A long, hard, cold look at the structures that we've got ... and make an assessment of what we want the game to look like in the next 10-20 years".
-Expansion not necessarily being about moving from 16 to 18 teams.
-Talked about how important it is to focus on the regional and international element of the comp
-Importance of stadiums, infrastructure, urbanisation(growth trends), participation, pathways and structures, etc.

It really seems like he's passionate on getting the existing clubs up to speed rather than over-expanding like we did back in the SL era and how the AFL, S15 and A-League have since then.

Again, I may have mis-interpreted some comments as this was only a small part of the interview so don't take it as fact.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Over expanding? The game has contracted in the last 17 years! One new team in 15 yeas is hardly over expanding. In the mean time the other codes have strengthened their leagues by expanding into new areas. Union melbourne and Perth, soccer Western Sydney and melbourne, afl Gold Coast. In fact of the expansion in the codes only GWS is a poor outcome in the short term.

Over expanding? The game has contracted in the last 17 years! One new team in 15 yeas is hardly over expanding. In the mean time the other codes have strengthened their leagues by expanding into new areas. Union melbourne and Perth, soccer Western Sydney and melbourne, afl Gold Coast. In fact of the expansion in the codes only GWS is a poor outcome in the short term.

Gold Coast Utd? Northern Fury? Come on, A-league has been dire. The original NZ team went bung, what, after a season? Adelaide and Perth skirted financial ruin; will Newcastle go the same way?

Whilst I agree NRL needs Perth, the NRL isn't the only code with financially weak clubs. In fact, I'd hazard to say North Melbourne, Melbourne, Footsgray ans St Kolda are all financially suspect in the AFL and that code is waiting for them to wither on the vine before letting them go because they haven't got the balls to cull them despite trying mightily to get a few to relocate.

I applaud the NRL's cautious approach to expansion. I also think they will make the tough decisions regarding Sydney when the time comes.

And let's not forget we were told Gold Coast had 'learnt from the past' and would go gangbusters from day one. That the region was 'demanding' a team. Hmmmm.

oikee

Juniors
Everyone can see how weak the game is when Origin stars are missing.
I think Dave Smith hinted that Sydney has too many teams if you read between the lines.
Yes he said we need to protect our tribal roots, that does not mean we cant shift more games to other places, right stadium right fixtures.
He also hinted that the strong will thrive, the weak will die be moved or merge even.
If he brought in two expansion teams, it would not take long for those two teams to buy alot of the best players and a couple of Sydney teams will be wading and paddling water, sinking fast.
If that is the way forward, so be it.

Flapper

First Grade
The dilution of a talent pool is the most stupid argument in this sense, bringing in a Perth brings a whole new talent pool which has only been sparingly used in the past into play. The more unique areas represented means the more direct paths from juniors to elite level football without having to relocate, hence making Rugby League a more attractive career proposition.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Please note: Tigers, Bears and Sharks fans this post will p1ss you off. I get that.

The solution is pretty obvious if you want a 16 team comp and yet expansion. Forget PNG, forget Adelaide, forget a 2nd NZ team. I would argue Sydney has 8.5 teams not 9 teams and that it could sustain 6 teams comfortable into the future.

If you want an expanded 16 team comp, it should look this way:
Sydney Teams
Parramatta (representing the city of Parramatta)
Penrith (representing the city of Penrith & mountains)
Rabbits (Central)
Bulldogs (Belmore, Liverpool & Western corridor)
Roosters (Easts)
0.5 Manly (North)
0.5 Dragons (South)

Regional NSW
Canberra
Newcastle
0.5 Manly (Central Coast)
0.5 Dragons (Illawarra)

National Teams
West Tigers (Perth)
Cowboys
Broncos
Sharks (Brisbane)
Titans
Warriors
Storm

You give huge incentive to relocate. $10 million plus over 5 years salary increase grants and cap exceptions, 150% 1st year, 140% 2nd year, etc... to ensure immediate success of relocated teams. You allow these teams to front load contracts, whatever it takes to ensure their success.

Sydney teams give up their home game to Sharks and Tigers to play in their heartlands until deemed unnecessary.

You have a 16 team comp with a new team in Perth and Brisbane which really should have happened by now.

reanimate

Bench
I think the Bears bid has unofficially been turned down, it looks pretty dead now that the Roosters have been approved to link up with the CC region and oversee development there and have Wyong as one of their affiliate/feeder clubs.

Personally, I think the WC Pirates would be nothing short of a bloody brilliant addition to our NRL competition.

I have stated before my reasons.

But again, I think having a cautious approach to ensure the WCP come in the comp the best they can be, in to a NRL comp that is the best it can be and getting better, is a good thing.

Until then, I like my jaunts to Perth for Souffs matches.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The more I hear Dave smith and john grant the more convinced I am that there will be no expansion this decade. The poor state of many of the existing clubs will make the NRL nervous about adding more slices to the pie and that they made be required to bail out a number of clubs over the next few years. I also think there may be a secret desire to see some teams eventually fall over, merge or relocate to keep the league at 16 teams but bring in Perth eventually. What that will mean for the game in WA time will tell but the aru will be breathing a sigh of relief I'm sure. RL has a tradition of shortsightedness and weak leadership and I suspect not much has changed.

I do agree re Bears and CC, they have no chance IMO.

andrew057

First Grade
You give a perfectly reasonable explanation of why expansion might not happen, yet then accuse the NRL of weak leadership and shortsightedness.

Id suggest if anyone was shortsighted on this situation its you.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How so? I've been following this expansion saga closely since 2007. When smith continually talks about the need for all the current clubs to be strong and grant in Perth recently talks about the warl being led up the path it is hard to not feel you are being softened up for yet another blow.

I would consider it short sighted and weak to think you can turn an over saturated market with a number of struggling clubs into a situation where all are vibrant and sustainable, I would consider it short sighted to think you are going to grow the TV pie without expansion, I'd consider it short sighted to not ride the wave of success and growth the game is experiencing in WA at the moment. Tough decisions need to be made but I have little hope those tough business decisions will be made. RL is not noted for it hence why the greatest game on the field is so small off it.

Last edited:

Latest posts