What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2018

Blair

Coach
Pathetic
They talk (I think) about wanting to make the game attractive to the soccer moms wanting their kids to play league.
A lot of non regular fans watch Grand Final, now they saw that kick.

$1400 would be a days pay for him?

A few examples that come to mind that went underpunished this year.
Fafita's on field rant.
Fafita and Duggan on podcast swearing.
Sam's (account) video nudity.

Yet Bulldogs get a $250k fine.
Which is probably about right.

The Dogs brought with them a reputation for disrepute, so I think their heavy fine was always happening.

Inglis? What can we say? How many lackeys would he have had that could've driven him home?

espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/24856920/new-australia-captain-greg-inglis-charged-drink-driving

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The Dogs brought with them a reputation for disrepute, so I think their heavy fine was always happening.

Inglis? What can we say? How many lackeys would he have had that could've driven him home?

espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/24856920/new-australia-captain-greg-inglis-charged-drink-driving

Storms reputation for filth isn't squeaky clean either, grapple, crusher, chicken wing, prowler etc

GI being given a golden ride really, some players get destroyed over minor stuff, media going very lightly on this one though. Thought his press conference was poor in regards to not stepping down as captain etc, made him look a bit silly when 2 hours later he was given the punt. Reminded me a bit of his other excuses over the year, when he belted his mrs he was just protecting her etc, my favourite of his though would have to be telling Brisbane "it was raining so the planes weren't flying" when he stiffed them for Souths haha

Blair

Coach
Storms reputation for filth isn't squeaky clean either, grapple, crusher, chicken wing, prowler etc

GI being given a golden ride really, some players get destroyed over minor stuff, media going very lightly on this one though. Thought his press conference was poor in regards to not stepping down as captain etc, made him look a bit silly when 2 hours later he was given the punt. Reminded me a bit of his other excuses over the year, when he belted his mrs he was just protecting her etc, my favourite of his though would have to be telling Brisbane "it was raining so the planes weren't flying" when he stiffed them for Souths haha

I feel a bit sorry for him, he made a stupid decision after such a great day at the Koori Knockout in Dubbo.

If he'd had his time over again I'm sure he'd have stopped in Dubbo for the night or gotten a mate to drive him home to Coogee.

It's incredibly dangerous that highway. I know, as I live in a town on it. The last thing you'd want to do is (allegedly) be speeding in a high-powered Mercedes and (allegedly) be over the limit. You could kill yourself and others so easily.

It was an easy speech, apology, step aside, promise to make up for it.

Instead it was full defensive mode.

Stupid approach really.

Good to see Mal (and NRL) sitting him down.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The dumbest thing about it was he only had to wait 2 hours until the verdict was reached, then be contrite about it and not seem like he hadn't taken full responsibility for his actions.

But who cares anyway, the superstars of our game are teflon-coated. As long as you're a big-name rep player you can do pretty much whatever you want - ie messers Slater, Munster and co.

Rich102

Staff member
I don't know if it still applies but the judiciary used to take into account a send-off as part of a punishment and so make the penalty less severe, as opposed to a sin-bin which doesn't count towards the penalty. Possibly Klien took this into account. However, second sin-bin for the same player should have been an automatic send off.

JJ

Immortal
I don't know if it still applies but the judiciary used to take into account a send-off as part of a punishment and so make the penalty less severe, as opposed to a sin-bin which doesn't count towards the penalty. Possibly Klien took this into account. However, second sin-bin for the same player should have been an automatic send off.

Think we've seen that purple and maroon are favourite colours of the judiciary

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
They were fairly dissimilar in severity tbh mate

Yeah, severity is obviously at the other end of the scale I wasn't denying that. But kicking someone in the head, I just don't know what sort of mongrel has that in them. At least Russell could say he was drunk (not forgiving it) but sometimes things happen on the field that you can't fathom how it's completely unacceptable in every other walk of life but OK on a field (ie kicking, Justin Poore lifting up a concussed player etc)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Watching Cronk....

Geez how freakin awesome would Johnson be @ 6 with Cooper running the team around........

JJ

Immortal
I only saw it with thirty minutes to go. Both sides looked far from sensational.
LOL - 8th was great for us, but we seldom showed an ability to go toe to toe with the big boys, hope we can improve again next year, but ATM IMO we're a long way from grand finalists (but to be honest I am going to vote for myself in the "knows nothing about league" category in the posters awards thread) - I think I am too skeptical about the Warriors, but the top 6 were a cut above the rest once the Panthers and Dragons rediscovered their mojos

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
LOL - 8th was great for us, but we seldom showed an ability to go toe to toe with the big boys, hope we can improve again next year, but ATM IMO we're a long way from grand finalists (but to be honest I am going to vote for myself in the "knows nothing about league" category in the posters awards thread)

I'll have to disagree my friend.
Comfortably beat the Broncos, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Panthers at various points in the season, beat Dragons twice and only lost to Sharks with a last minute forward pass.

We had a very young team with a lot of inexperience, and when it comes down to it I think we'll look back at a few key moments that really let us down. Would we have won the gf? Probably not. But I think there wasn't much between the top sides this year and on any given day, most could have won it

JJ

Immortal
I'll have to disagree my friend.
Comfortably beat the Broncos, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Panthers at various points in the season, beat Dragons twice and only lost to Sharks with a last minute forward pass.

We had a very young team with a lot of inexperience, and when it comes down to it I think we'll look back at a few key moments that really let us down. Would we have won the gf? Probably not. But I think there wasn't much between the top sides this year and on any given day, most could have won it
Happy with that, think we agree better times are ahead? Hopefully anyway

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
LOL - 8th was great for us, but we seldom showed an ability to go toe to toe with the big boys, hope we can improve again next year, but ATM IMO we're a long way from grand finalists (but to be honest I am going to vote for myself in the "knows nothing about league" category in the posters awards thread) - I think I am too skeptical about the Warriors, but the top 6 were a cut above the rest once the Panthers and Dragons rediscovered their mojos

You're right in a way, but yeah we did compete with the top 8 sides pretty consistently. Should've beaten Melbourne at home, beat the Roosters, beat the Bunnies, did beat the Sharks only for the refs to f**k us, beat the Drags twice, beat the Panthers, beat the Broncos so we came close to sorting out the lot.

I agree in the way we were a long way from GFists, even though you could throw a blanket over the top 8 and with a couple of things go our way we could've made top 4 (any team could say that though). The manner of the loss in the final certainly didn't give us great hope, although then you factor in the RTS injury and it muddies the waters.

Think we can all agree that for 2019 to go well we need more starch in our forwards, Kata to learn to pass and defend or GTFO and Johnson to finally step up in big games and deliver on his price tag. There'll be enough for us to be contenders given we aren't losing a lot apart from Lord Mannering.