What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals System Changed

Good decision to change finals system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kurt faulk

Coach
I prefer the system they have chosen over the McIntyre. But the claim this removes the rewards for mediocrity doesn't really stack up. In 1995 the Bulldogs won the comp from sixth while in '96 St Pre-merge made the GF from seventh with a good run. It's just as easy to make it from the bottom end of the eight under the new system as the old one. In fact it's easier because you only have to upset a side just above you in week one instead of upsetting one of the top two.

nah, you have to play them sooner or later.

Well under this system it's later. Under the old one it's sooner. I think I know which I'd choose if I was in seventh or eighth.

age.s

First Grade
I don't see how anyone can make a case that this system is better for the top teams. It's categorically worse for teams 1-2, a mixed bag (if with more certainty) for teams 3-6 and better for teams 7-8. I haven't seen a single argument which states how this system is structurally better for the top teams.

What this gives is theoretically more even games in week one (offset by the even nature of the NRL) and that people don't have to think about who's playing who any more. This change was brought about primarily by peoples laziness.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Like the overall concept but my only hesitation is that it favours out of Sydney teams.....i.e Bronco's Storm etc get home games weeks 1 & 2 if they finish top 2 yet Sydney sides get SFS or Homebush....a neutral ground allbeit a Sydney venue. Do like the fact that all top 4 sides get a second chance which is just rewards for consistency over the regular season.

The other issue that people used to have about the new system (when it was the old system) was that it effectively split teams into two groups. Teams 1,4,5 and 8 and 2,3,6 and 7. So you could have the same game in week 1 and week 3 if games went as expected. I don't think it happened in 95 or 96 but it is possible, and that would suck. It also means, for example, that teams 1 AND 4 cannot meet in the GF. Or 2 AND 3 etc.

kurt faulk

Coach
I don't see how anyone can make a case that this system is better for the top teams. It's categorically worse for teams 1-2, a mixed bag (if with more certainty) for teams 3-6 and better for teams 7-8. I haven't seen a single argument which states how this system is structurally better for the top teams.

What this gives is theoretically more even games in week one (offset by the even nature of the NRL) and that people don't have to think about who's playing who any more. This change was brought about primarily by peoples laziness.

it is much better for teams 1 and 2. if they lose in the first week they still get a home game in week 2, unlike before where they would have to play away.

if teams 3 and 4 lose in the first week they will get a home game in week 2.

this system gives more advantage to teams that finish in the top 4.

Last edited:

kurt faulk

Coach
The other issue that people used to have about the new system (when it was the old system) was that it effectively split teams into two groups. Teams 1,4,5 and 8 and 2,3,6 and 7. So you could have the same game in week 1 and week 3 if games went as expected. I don't think it happened in 95 or 96 but it is possible, and that would suck. It also means, for example, that teams 1 AND 4 cannot meet in the GF. Or 2 AND 3 etc.

there is a crossover after the 2nd week of finals.

of course this could lead to 1 v 2 in the preliminary final. a damning result of the inflexibility of the system.

Eels Dude

Coach

If you consider teams 3 and 4 top teams it's better for them as they can't get knocked out in the first week. And it's worse for teams 5 or 6 because if they lose in week 1 they won't be there the following week. No system is going to be perfect, but this system is better for separating the teams 1-4 from teams 5-8.

skeepe

Immortal
Why the f**k are Souffs fans weighing in on a debate about the finals system?

When you never qualify for the finals, why does it matter what system everyone else plays under?

Eels Dude

Coach
Why the f**k are Souffs fans weighing in on a debate about the finals system?

When you never qualify for the finals, why does it matter what system everyone else plays under?

Because when it comes to finals footy, they're the only non-biased supporters so their opinions are more objective.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Should be straight QF, SF, GF. Don't know any other top sports leagues that give second chances to teams that lose in the playoffs apart from the AFL and NRL, once you lose you should be gone

RABK

Referee
I think people should try and stop thinking hypothetically about how the change may affect their teams chances depending on where they finish and view it as a neutral fan. Your team won the wooden spoon but you're excited to watch the finals none the less - what finals system offers you the better chance at high quality tense finals?

I think it's quite obvious.

Quite. I'll probably never forget that first week of the play-offs in '09 when the Eels beat the Dragons. That day was awsome.

We'll never see a team from 7th or 8th reach the GF ever again. The top 4 are over-protected now, granted they were under-protected before, but I'd rather see them under-protected in the first round of the Finals Series. This "new" system takes away so much. Ask the fans to vote on it, of course the 'top' clubs wanted to being back the AFL system!!!!! I'm incandescent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K Mull

Juniors
Thank god is pretty much the common theme on here. My close mate is AFL mad and he was always going on about how much better the AFL is at everything related to their sport. Glad we have finally made a step in the right direction. Lets hope the Indep commission keeps making corret decisions in the future.

Latest posts