What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals System Changed

Good decision to change finals system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Creating more games for TV stations does nothing at all for the sport. It does a lot for the commercial interests.
:lol::lol::lol:
Dumbest quote of the year.
I suppose you think Daylight Saving fades curtains because it creates an extra HR of sunlight.

Parra

Referee
So it is mcintyre vs current AFL.

No other options?

If that is your only choice choose mcintyre.

Canard

Immortal
Major reason it was done, TV.

The games can now be played in any order, as the timing is now irrelevant. Its a defacto top four system essentially.

Shame, I liked the fact that 4th place wasn't a protected species and upsets could happen in the first week.

One thing I didn't like about the old finals system was that if a team worked its backside off all year round, and lost their forst finals games, they would be instantly put at a disadvantage by playing a team that could have finished below them after the 26 rounds at their home ground, and the rest of the lead up the the grand final would continue to be a struggle in terms of where the games were played. Didn't seem fair to me

Raiderdave

First Grade
so its

week 1

games

1 V 4
2 V 3
5 V 8
6 V 7

venues
losing sides 1 to 4 hold home venue advantage in week 2 ova the winners from sides 5 to 8

Sydney sides in the top 4 play at ANZ or the SFS throughout the series

out of town sides in the top 4 at their home city venue except in week 3 when it reverts to home region

( ie for the Raiders even if they were minor premiers they play week 3 in Sydney)

times
the times for the sat games in week 1 go from 6.30pm & 8.30pm
to 4.00pm & 6.30pm

golden point
5 mins each way to be played ... if scores still tied .. golden point kicks in

thats it in a nutshell.;-)

Parra

Referee
it probably been posted 15 times before in this thread
but I'll make it 16

its OUR system

they copied it off us ..........;-)

So even though it is the current AFL system, because rugby league used it 16 years ago it is not the AFL system. Because they "copied". What is this? Kindergarten?

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Took less than a fortnight to correct a dozen years of stupitity, which, quite frankly, the unwashed masses (us) have been calling for, for, oh, lets say........a dozen years.

Get John Grant up here.

I wanna boof him.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
So they've just copied the AFL system then?

If you weren't such a f**kwit, you'd know it was OUR system to start with, which the AFL adopted, whereas the NRL abondaoned it in favor of the AFL's Mcntyre system.

But, you're a f**kwit, so there's no way you'd know that.

Jason Maher

Immortal
So they've just copied the AFL system then?

Let's make it 17 times. The ARL used this sytem in 95-96 (Without a crossover in 95, with a crossover in week 2 in 96). The AFL brought the McIntyre system in in 1994. The NRL switched to McIntyre in 1999 (after a 10-team double top-5 in 98). The AFL adopted the ARL system (with a week 3 crossover) in 2000.

It really shits me that they (media) keep calling it the 'AFL System'.
Rugby League had it first and I'm pretty sure AFL had the MacIntyre System first.

Correct on both counts.

Wholeheartedly agree. The competition is about winning, not losing. Finals footy is about stepping up to be winners. Winners win, losers don't deserve to stick around.

Indeed. North Queensland in 05 and the Warriors last year should have been pissed off, not provided with a second chance to make the Grand Final...

Teams that put in the affort over the whole season to win a lot of games should be rewarded over teams who scrape in to the finals with a 50-50 record. THAT is rewarding winning.

Lets just go back to a top 5, a superior finals system is terms of fairness and there shouldn't be a top 8 in a 16 team competition anyway. Obviously this won't happen as clubs would oppose having fewer chances to play finals football and the NRL wouldn't generate as much revenue.

Agree. Under the top 5, you had to beat the minor premiers to win the premiership. The minor premiers only had to win 1 game to make the GF, teams 2 and 3 had a second chance, and teams 4 and 5 were walking the tightrope. Plus, a team that had a mediocre season were no chance of playing finals footy.

But since we have to have a top 8, the ARL system is the better. Not perfect, but all the aces lie with the top 4, and the bottom 4 are walking the tightrope. Most importantly, every team's destiny is 100% in their own hands. That was far and away the worst aspect of the McIntyre system.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Bad idea. McIntyre system worked but was too complicated for most commentators to understand.

Thirdmaninday is piece of shit.

It really shits me that they (media) keep calling it the 'AFL System'.
Rugby League had it first and I'm pretty sure AFL had the MacIntyre System first.

The media are dumber than gUt's defence of Thridmaninday.

Think this is stupid, never had a problem with the mcIntyre system.

Dont understand why everyone people didnt like the McIntyre system.....

Say what? Just cos Parra never make the top 4.

The McIntyre system was balls

Damn straight brother!

New system > rewarding average teams with a good 6 weeks at the expense of very good teams with a good 26 weeks. Great decision.

I'm scared. You're spot on.

I prefer the system they have chosen over the McIntyre. But the claim this removes the rewards for mediocrity doesn't really stack up. In 1995 the Bulldogs won the comp from sixth while in '96 St Pre-merge made the GF from seventh with a good run. It's just as easy to make it from the bottom end of the eight under the new system as the old one. In fact it's easier because you only have to upset a side just above you in week one instead of upsetting one of the top two.