What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals System Changed

Good decision to change finals system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Finals systems should be about winning. They should be knock-outs.

The 2011 system had flaws. This new model is hopeless. Introduces meaningless finals as well as losers who stay in. Why reward the teams at the bottom with easy matches? Why penalise the minor premiers who deserve to play the weakest team?

A week off for the top two with all finals meaning something for each team is what is needed.

this

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Stupid decision, the new finals system is rubbish. The only reason the Mcintyre system is hated is because most simpletons just don't understand it.

I hear people saying 'But under the McIntyre system 3rd and 4th can be eliminated in week 1! and 5th and 6th can receive a week off!'. Well that has never happened, and will never happen so i never understood why people got so up in arms about it.

Now we are going to have the top 4 teams all playing eachother in week 1 of the finals, with absolutely no reward for the top 2 teams. The team that comes 5th gets the easiest match of the week at home to the team coming 8th. Pretty f**king stupid if u ask me.

But hey it will probably mean bigger crowds, i guess that's more important than the integrity of the competition.

Springs

First Grade
incorrect. in the situation you refer to above, warriors finishing 5th would have played 8th place (as opposed to 4th place).

however, if if the team below them lost (which would have been 8th place, their opponents) then they would be entitled to stay in as they would have won..

I know? That wasn't the situation I was referring to.

I was calling the McIntyre system stupid because teams rely on other results to determine their fate. I think the 2012 system is far better.

Well, in 2010 they were lowest ranked loser. And in 2011 they weren't. And you know what will happen this year? The lowest ranked loser will be eliminated again! Except now there's no advantage to finishing 1st over 4th, or 5th over 8th!

Wow I'm glad adamkungl's not on the Commission. Absolutely NFI.

What you just said is the main reason why the McIntyre system is stupid. How a 6th place team can be higher ranked after week 1 than a 5th place team the year before, despite putting in a far worse performance.

Not only that, a 6th place team can have a week off and a home preliminary final :crazy:

Eels Dude

Coach
Stupid decision, the new finals system is rubbish. The only reason the Mcintyre system is hated is because most simpletons just don't understand it.

I hear people saying 'But under the McIntyre system 3rd and 4th can be eliminated in week 1! and 5th and 6th can receive a week off!'. Well that has never happened, and will never happen so i never understood why people got so up in arms about it.

You're right, it will never happen, as this better finals system implemented eliminates that possibility.

The Commission have been in charge for a few weeks and yet they make a great decision like this. About time!!!!!!!!!!! The Commission is already making the game better.

The McIntyre system has always been a joke.

The one guaranteee about this change is that the same people who were whinging about the McIntyre system will be the same people whinging about the new system come September.

Parra

Referee
Now in week one we have two dead finals.

I don't watch any AFL. How do the dead finals go down in Melbourne? Vics seem to watch anything. I can't see this working in Sydney.

Parra

Referee
Home ground advantage is a fallacy when matches are played in generic stadia with multiple teams there on a pay-to-schedule deal.

Again, I don't watch AFL, but as I understand it they play a lot of those matches at only a couple of places in Melbourne and they don't really have home grounds.

Sort of like NRL teams who play matches at the olympic stadium in Sydney. No home ground advantage anyway.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
How are they dead finals? they decide who gets a week off and hosts a prelim, and who has to play the teams that win the eliminators.

BunniesMan

Immortal

I don't watch any AFL. How do the dead finals go down in Melbourne? Vics seem to watch anything. I can't see this working in Sydney.
How are they dead finals? As a fan of both codes I can tell you every game of week 1 finals in the AFL is important.

You don't think competing for a direct path to the prelim and a home prelim is a big deal? You're playing for the right to be 1 home game away from a Grand Final. That's a lot on the line.

An 1v4,2v3,5v8,6v7 provides more entertaining and balanced games.

Nevermind what it means for future weeks just seeing the top 4 teams play each other is great from an entertainment POV.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach

what are you talking about?

3 v 6 and 4 v 5 were dead finals, especially when 1 & 2 won, which usually happens.

The only good thing about the mcintye system was 1 & 2 got an easy ride to the prelim, which was deserved.

The old ARL system makes for a much more interesting finals series, however its not without its flaws.

Spot On

Coach
To the Independent Commission.......

:thumb

Well overdue. A magnificent decision. Finally a group that will not sit on their hands, procrastinate and bullshit to us.