What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals System Changed

Good decision to change finals system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DC_fan

Coach
I don't like any finals playoff system that allows teams that lose to advance.

It should be, you lose you are out.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Stupid decision, the new finals system is rubbish. The only reason the Mcintyre system is hated is because most simpletons just don't understand it.
Everyone on here seems to understand it bro.

I hear people saying 'But under the McIntyre system 3rd and 4th can be eliminated in week 1! and 5th and 6th can receive a week off!'. Well that has never happened, and will never happen so i never understood why people got so up in arms about it.
5th has had a week off in the past though, haven't they? Not 6th, but 5th.

Now we are going to have the top 4 teams all playing eachother in week 1 of the finals, with absolutely no reward for the top 2 teams.
The reward is that they get home ground advantage.

The team that comes 5th gets the easiest match of the week at home to the team coming 8th. Pretty f**king stupid if u ask me.

So if 5th gets the easiest match, by your logic 1st v 4th is a cinch too?

5th get what is supposed to be the easiest game (but if 8th can beat 1st, and have done recently a couple of times, what's stopping them beating 5th?) but even if they win they still have to play away against a team that is supposed to be better than them!

This system does benefit 3rd and 4th, except for the fact that they have to play away in the first week.

But hey it will probably mean bigger crowds, i guess that's more important than the integrity of the competition.
I hazard a guess it won't change the overall crowds at all.

Eels Dude

Coach
No team is eliminated. It makes these matches about as important as the last two rounds or so of the regular season. They are not "play off" matches.

So what? They're still playing for something. They're playing for a spot in a preliminary final and a week off. It's no different to what teams 1 and 2 are playing for in the first week under the McIntyre system.

smi962

First Grade
Lets just go back to a top 5, a superior finals system is terms of fairness and there shouldn't be a top 8 in a 16 team competition anyway. Obviously this won't happen as clubs would oppose having fewer chances to play finals football and the NRL wouldn't generate as much revenue.

firechild

First Grade
5th has had a week off in the past though, haven't they? Not 6th, but 5th.

No. Never. The only time that the 4v5 match has had a meaningful result was when St George, NZ and Manly were eliminated as losers of that match, all from 5th pace. Obviously their 4th placed opponents got the week off.

firechild

First Grade
The thing that amuses me about this discussion is people keep bringing up the fact that the Warriors made the GF from 6th despite losing in week 1. The fact is that NZ would have played NQ instead and almost certainly would have won. In reality NZ and Illawarra probably would have won and we would have had the same eliminations as we had. The only significant difference would have been that teams 1 and 2 would have had a much harder run. Doesn't really seem fair. The winners from this move are teams 7 and 8 and the losers are teams 1 and 2.

Eels Dude

Coach
From a sporting perspective it matters.

From a TV perspective and extra matches I couldn't care less.

That's what.

So why are you complaining then? Your argument doesn't really make much sense. Or you've failed to explain it. It's one or the other.

M2D2

Bench
The fact is that NZ would have played NQ instead and almost certainly would have won.
crystal-ball.jpg

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Great decision.

One thing about the "ARL" system is that you know your teams fate at the end of the match, rather than wait for the next match to determine whether you'll eliminated or get the week off.

The top 4 playing each other is another great idea, close matches and you know the loser will get a second chance.

I'll guess another thing they'll probably stick with the home city final, rather than home ground semi final which is a good idea.

firechild

First Grade

Are you related to fourex? You seem to have taken up his hobby of responding to posts with nothing but pictures (though I think in Fourex's case it is lack of literacy skills).

NZ were bad but Brisbane put them under pressure and they kept making mistakes. NQ were just diabolical, 42 points conceded in 40min. They just had nothing to offer.

Eels Dude

Coach
The thing that amuses me about this discussion is people keep bringing up the fact that the Warriors made the GF from 6th despite losing in week 1. The fact is that NZ would have played NQ instead and almost certainly would have won.

I've highlighted the keyword of your sentence. And that's why this system is better than the McIntyre one.

Parra

Referee
So why are you complaining then? Your argument doesn't really make much sense. Or you've failed to explain it. It's one or the other.

I am only concerned about the sport perspective.

It hardly matters, we will put up with this for 10 years and then it will change again.

M2D2

Bench
Nah.
Just implying that youre using a crystal ball of hypotheticals to prove your point, which is why nearly every fan out there wanted them removed for the old ARL system so EVERY TEAM knows what the deal is Going into each game and removes all hypothetical situations...
This is the best system available for a top 8 styled finals.

kurt faulk

Coach
Bad idea. McIntyre system worked but was too complicated for most commentators to understand.

it was awful and unfair.

just as an example, if the top 4 teams won then 3rd would play 5th and 4th would play 6th in the second week. how dumb is that, the 3rd placed team got screwed and the 4th placed team got the easier run. that's not how a finals system is supposed to work.