What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nrl from the uk armchair

bedlam breakout

Juniors
this is my 1st post on these forums so take it easy on me guys, watching nrl on premier sports in England for the 1st time and loving it, after round 2 am getting to grips with rule changes and the players apart from the well known ones over here of course, so far on the pom watch its obvious sam b james g and gareth w are class acts but sam Tomkins could have signed for the wrong club????? where are they playing him? full back ? half back? dummy half? anyway hope its the right decision in the end, the only gripe or 2 I would have is how the nrl players chelp and whine at the ref a lot more than over here and the tv replays seem to take an age to sort out while over here they are instant and informative, enjoying the footy show too (although a little Americanised) but suppose that's a culture difference.

Harrigan

Juniors
The chirping has gone down a hell of a lot this year compared to previous (hence the rule about no one being allowed to approach the ref) and the footy show is shit compared to what it used to be.

You'll notice that the biggest difference between here and back in the UK is that the defences are better across the board. Even in the higher scoring games you won't find as many soft tries as you get in the SL. It's more of a percentage game here though. You won't find teams throwing the ball around in their own halfs because it just doesn't work, unless it's the Warriors of course, where it still doesn't work :lol:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Welcome aboard my English friend,i am Haynetrain the World's foremost Rugby League/Horse Racing expert,if you have any question's feel free to ask them in the Fight Club section as im sure it won't be long before i am back in there.God Bless

bedlam breakout

Juniors
watched the 2 sharks games and wondered why they would want Daniel holdsworth? he was very poor for hull who are sleeping giants over here and seemed to be a typical example of an nrl offcast while playing sl.

The Thursday night Footy Show has always been crap. It is a witless enterprise, focused on the lowest common denominator, the moron, which is why Paul Fatty Vautin is a host -- he is the NRL's resident moron.

bedlam breakout

Juniors
its better than anything we have over here, the sl show is so stiff and only shown in the north, using the likes of Robbie paul and jon wilkin as "personalitys" its terrible, but then I suppose there isn't a host who looks like a plastic gi joe praising our "sponsors" in an American style way either so maybe better the devil you know?

bedlam breakout

Juniors
tell u what though, we don't get the tv ad you must get between a try and a conversion which leaves me wondering how short can a tv ad be? and whats the ad about? we just get crowd noise and maybe a bit of infill commentry

Harrigan

Juniors
tell u what though, we don't get the tv ad you must get between a try and a conversion which leaves me wondering how short can a tv ad be? and whats the ad about? we just get crowd noise and maybe a bit of infill commentry

Depends if it's the live or delayed match. The live is just a quick ad but the delayed match takes 2 hours to be shown. Thank god for DVRs

POPEYE

Coach
Sincere apologies for the refereeing, even two of our blokes can't match Mr Silverwood

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
You won't find teams throwing the ball around in their own halfs because it just doesn't work, unless it's the Warriors of course, where it still doesn't work :lol:

do people still f**king believe this shit in 2014?

bedlam breakout

Juniors
Sincere apologies for the refereeing, even two of our blokes can't match Mr Silverwood

refs seem fine but why when going to the video ref do they have to say if they think its a try or not? surly if you go upstairs you don't know either way?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
refs seem fine but why when going to the video ref do they have to say if they think its a try or not? surly if you go upstairs you don't know either way?

it was done to change the process faster and make refs make a f**king decision. the lazy merkins just sent everything up to the video ref who looked at god knows what for 3-4minutes then came up with a ruling no one understood.

this way the ref says "try" the vid ref supposedly just checks to see if there's evidence that there is a try or whether there's any evidence to overturn the "live" ruling. if there isnt any evidence contrary then the live ruling stands. some video refs still like to take 3 minutes but its better than last year

as for the ads, on nine it tends to be alcohol or betting ads

hahagold

Juniors
it was done to change the process faster and make refs make a f**king decision. the lazy merkins just sent everything up to the video ref who looked at god knows what for 3-4minutes then came up with a ruling no one understood.

this way the ref says "try" the vid ref supposedly just checks to see if there's evidence that there is a try or whether there's any evidence to overturn the "live" ruling. if there isnt any evidence contrary then the live ruling stands. some video refs still like to take 3 minutes but its better than last year

as for the ads, on nine it tends to be alcohol or betting ads

I think this system needs to be punted. It doesnt change the fact that alot of the time the ref has no idea. So if he calls it wrong and theres no camera angle. You are screwed.