What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL in trouble, Football has arrived

sooperdooper

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
Dont use the word 'us', that would imply that you share a common bond/feeling/thought anything to the rest of the group here - you dont. You like soccer, thats great, dont pretend you are one of 'us' though.

ha ha ha. I play league have followed league my whole life. Its my number one but i do relaise the power of other codes.....idiot

redVgirl

Juniors
buster bunny said:
For soccer's sake lets hope so. Frankly once this world cup is over I will be more interested in what the NRL and ARL do. I think that will be the case with most people. Im thoroughly enjoying this world cup with Australia going well but I cant see myself paying too much interest to the sport once its over. The only games Ive really watched in their entirety have been the Australian games.

exactly. interest in the world cup cannot be compared to interest in soccer in a local context. its so completely different. im not a fan of the game of soccer but ive been watching the aussie games becauce of the excitement. i think alot of people are in a similar position.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
And it was supposed to get bigger in the United States after they hosted the 1994 World Cup.
12 yrs later they are still 100 lengths behind NFL MLB NBA NHL.
Australia and America are very similar in that they have their niche sports...
There is a massive difference between NHL, MLB, NFL and NBA and the NRL

buster bunny

Juniors
redVgirl said:
why are so many of you being so alarmist anyway? if our game can make it through the super league debacle, we can make it through this.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The way rugby league recovered after that shows just how strong the game is in Australia.

sooperdooper

First Grade
ibeme said:
7500 people, in the fanatics. How many of those have travelled from Oz with the fanatics? I'd say that a lot of those have met up with the fanatics over there. But as I said, this is one of the biggest sporting events in the world. It happens once every four years. The olympics would attract a crap load of Aussie's as well, to sports that carry little to no interest outside of the olympics. Look at Sydney 2000. People payed ridiculous money to watch fencing, just because it was the Olympics.

Australia's interest in soccer should not be measured on the world cup. It should be measured on how much interest they have for the other rest of the four years in between.
one of?
it is the biggest...event
dream on if you think that most were there. The fact is there were around 60 plane loads of them!

Mr Saab

Referee
sooperdooper said:
There is a massive difference between NHL, MLB, NFL and NBA and the NRL

Not really when you scale it down
They have 300 million and 4 major codes
We have 20-21 million and 3 major codes
Soccer is as big there as it is here.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Raider Ultra said:
Soccer already is the highest participation junior sport, miles in front of league. The problem is transforming high numbers in u11-12-13-14s, into players who will continue to play and develop into possible elite players.
correct
and yes it is hard to produce those kids into world class athletes due to the high competition of them.
It is a very hard sport to crack at the elite level

sooperdooper

First Grade
buster bunny said:
I think this was more in reference to the Arrive Alive cup which has successfully developed league players and promoted the sport in schools and on TV for many years.
do we need to mention the soccer program at westfields sports high?
or the AIS program or the NSWIS progam or the Insitutes of sport programs in evey state
also the Western Southern and Nothern NSW
i really think that has it over the Arrive Alive

Focal Point

Juniors
hutch said:
you idiot! of course we are all proud our the socceroos, they are doing our nation proud. we support them as rugby league fans, and also as sporting fans. the code may take off in australia, but it will never be at rugby leagues expense. a lot of people do enjoy more than one sport.

What he said!:cool:

buster bunny

Juniors
sooperdooper said:
or the AIS program or the NSWIS progam or the Insitutes of sport programs in evey state

Arrive Alive is not the only junior development competition or program either. But it does have something soccer doesnt and that is televised games. Dont underestmate how big a deal having these games televised on free to air is. It promotes the games by encouraging students to play the game and ensures media exposure.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
Not really when you scale it down
They have 300 million and 4 major codes
We have 20-21 million and 3 major codes
Soccer is as big there as it is here.
see the thing is there is a difference... they have 300 million we have 20
they dont compare
and the NR: can not compare to any of there codes

What about Womens soccer in the US? they get 30k to a match...

sooperdooper

First Grade
buster bunny said:
Arrive Alive is not the only junior development competition or program either. But it does have something soccer doesnt and that is televised games. Dont underestmate how big a deal having these games televised on free to air is. It promotes the games by encouraging students to play the game and ensures media exposure.

mate you dont need to televise the soccer games. As the institues concentrate on elite training.... unlike Arrive Alive...which is about 'winning'

buster bunny

Juniors
sooperdooper said:
mate you dont need to televise the soccer games. As the institues concentrate on elite training.... unlike Arrive Alive...which is about 'winning'

Well I thought winning was a major part of sport. Anyway I think the competitions record for unearthing talent speaks for itself.

sooperdooper

First Grade
buster bunny said:
Well I thought winning was a major part of sport. Anyway I think the competitions record for unearthing talent speaks for itself.
ok lets look at it... Yes it is good to win. But its more about development at a young age.
See what you dont get is...School is something in someones life until 16 so saying the arrive alive cup has unearthed talent is a cliche. I mean they are in school and like football so they play outside of school and at school

You can not compare that to the 'elite' training programs in soccer in the AIS, Westfields etc

Green Machine

First Grade
sooperdooper said:
Is there a Rugby League program at Westfields? Is there a program at the other sports high schools in Sydney? The other sports high schools in NSW?

How about the NSWRL Academy?

http://www.nswrl.com.au/index.cgi?sID=21

NSWRL Academy

NSWRL ACADEMY (NARRABEEN)
The NSWRL Coaching and Development Academy, situated within the Sydney Academy of Sport at Narrabeen, has a variety of responsibilities as part of the NSWRL structure. The Academy conducts the NSWRL Junior Representative competitions (Flegg Cup, Ball Cup and Matthews Cup), as well as overseeing all junior league, schoolboy football and affiliated competitions within NSW.

The Academy is also responsible for the education of coaches, first aid officers and other officials within the game's development structures and produces a range of resources to assist in this regard.

NSWRL ACADEMY
Postal Address: PO Box 533, Narrabeen NSW 2101
Email: academy@nswrlacademy.com.au
Phone Number: 02 9971 0877
Fax Number: 02 9971 0977

STAFF MEMBERS:
Martin Meredith - NSWRL Development Manager (martin@nswrlacademy.com.au)
Tas Baiteri - International Development Manager (tas@nswrlacademy.com.au)
Steve Hewson - Development Officer (steve@nswrlacademy.com.au)
Wayne Portlock - Development Officer (wayne@nswrlacademy.com.au)
Anna Byrne - Officer Manager (anna@nswrlacademy.com.au)
Matt Edghill - North Shore Development Officer (matt@nswrlacademy.com.au)
Ashley Mathieson - Northern Beaches Development Officer (ashley@nswrlacademy.com.au)

NSWRL DEVELOPMENT - WESTERN SYDNEY
NSWRL Development Western Sydney has been established with the aim of assisting in the growth of Rugby League in Western Sydney. The Western Sydney unit will work in cooperation with existing organisations in the areas of Parramatta, Penrith, Campbelltown, Group 6 and Group 10.

The Western Sydney Development unit will often work on specific projects targetting issues within the game of Rugby League in Western Sydney that require particular attention.
NSWRL DEVELOPMENT WESTERN SYDNEY
Address: Glenwood High School, Cnr Foreman and Glenwood Park Drive NSW 2768
Email: westsydney@nswrl.com.au
Fax Number: 02 8915 1754

STAFF MEMBERS:
Frank Barrett - Western Sydney Development Manager (frank@nswrl.com.au)
Steve Mowbray - Development Officer (wsrl1@arldevelopment.com.au)
Mitchell Krahe - Development Officer (wsrl2@arldevelopment.com.au)
Martin Shanahan - Development Officer (wsrl4@arldevelopment.com.au)
Rhonda Saab - Administration Assistant (rhonda@nswrl.com.au)

Does it have it over the Junior Reps?
http://www.nswrl.com.au/index.cgi?sID=16

Junior Reps
In 2005 the NSWRL structure begins with the NSWRL VB Premier League, the main feeder to the NRL in the state of NSW. Underneath this is the Jim Beam Cup which contains second tier teams from Sydney and four clubs from the Central Coast.
The Jersey Flegg Cup has returned to its original 24 round format, and the age group has been lifted to Under 20's.
Harold Matthews Cup(which is for Under 16s), and like the SG Ball Cup will be a nine round competition plus finals
All three junior competitions (Jersey Flegg, Harold Matthews and SG Ball) contain the following 15 sides:
1. Balmain Tigers
2. Canberra Raiders
3. Canterbury Bulldogs
4. Central Coast Rip
5. Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
6. Illawarra Steelers
7. Manly Sea Eagles
8. Newcastle Knights
9. North Sydney Bears
10. Parramatta Eels
11. Penrith Panthers
12. South Sydney Rabbitohs
13. St George Dragons
14. Sydney Roosters
15. Western Suburbs Magpies
Both Harold Matthews and SG Ball kick off on February 25, whilst Jersey Flegg will run parallel to the NRL and Premier League draw.
To find out the results of the competitions click on the relevant links below
1. Jersey Flegg
2. Harold Matthews
3. SG Ball

mikdalton

Juniors
The only threat to RL that I can see is from the negativity that currently seems to surround the game over there and then football will seem like a good alternative. The time to discuss an issue like this isnt the day after the best football game in Australias history when everyone is firmly on the bandwagon and on a real high. The socceroos have been lucky not in the way theyve played but in the manor in which theyve played, two dramatic games and a noble draw against Brazil. In reality a future world cup might be like that of Japans this time around, disappointing and uninspiring which would inspire little national fervour.

I live in the North of England Widnes to be specific where football and RL are probably neck and neck but I'm outside a big city Liverpool that is 100% football. I love the world cup and watch it religiously, the premier league less so I'm firmly a RL fan and all my brothers are exactly the same. Not nearly every game is as dramatic and Australians would miss the physical aspect of League, AFL and even union in the long run.

There is a great parallel in England winning the union world cup in 2003. The country went mad for England union and ITV news that night ran a poll of whether union would take over football as the number 1 sport in England and more than 50% said yes. To even consider this now is frankly laughable. At the time in Liverpool people were well interested and now you hear nothing at all off any locals, they really dont care.

Football is here to stay in Aus because of its international appeal but whether it will replace league is difficult to say. If league suffers a downfall it will be leagues fault. Like has been said RU should be worried because the international aspect is their main plus point but now is a poor second to Football. I fear they may target league realising if football does vastly grow then therell be room for a contact code in the northern states but probably only one on any great scale.

pantherz9103

First Grade
bulldog said:
but it won't take over, come semi-finals time in either of Australias big codes and Soccer won't rate a mention.

It will definately improve. There will be decent interest in the Asian Qualifiers. The Socceroos v Lebanon is sure to get a big following in parts of South Western Sydney;-)

No seriously Rugby League and Soccer are my two favourite 'football' codes. I don't think the sports are in competition with eachother as they are completely different. NRL is king over A League in NSW, QLD and New Zealand but everywhere else the round ball game is streets ahead. Gay FL and Yawnion don't really interest me. Being a Liverpool fan keeps me interested in the world game the whole year round. Rugby League just can't fulfill that fascination of international matches that soccer does. Every nation has a soccer team whereas the vast majority of countries don't know what rugby league is. Those are just the facts.

I dream of a day when Rugby League has an international scene that even rivals Rugby Union. Soccer is truly universal, its simple enough and anyone can play even in ghettos in Brazil, wastelands in Africa, just need a ball.

LESStar58

Referee
Soccer is the rugby union of 2006!

Again, all well and good the Soceroos are doing so well and I'm supporting them bt I won't pay attention to the A-League. If A-League was a winter sport soccer in this country would die again!

It's still the 4th code after AFL, NRL and RU...

Latest posts