What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL in trouble, Football has arrived

BDGS

Bench
I have never seen so many people with flags, T-shirts, jumpers, posters etc etc etc. The A league will now dominate the NRL in Sydney & the Central Coast, kill off the Storm. THE ARU have a lot to worry about aswell.

As Frank Skinner sang "Footballs coming home, its coming home, its coming home, its coming, footballs coming home"

BAHAHAHAHAHA

thanks mate, i needed a laugh :lol::lol::lol:

adamkungl

Immortal
soccer is nothing in australia?? in the A-leagues 1st year Sydney FC were drawing bigger crowds that pretty much every weekend nrl game. That's also going to dramatically rise again this year. This "mickey mouse comp" is probably going to be bigger than nrl by its 3rd or 4th year! good luck trying to ignore it!

:lol: best quote ever

Ulysseus

Bench
Hindsight, it is always 20/20.

If anything the f**king game of soccer here has gone backwards since 2006.

adamkungl

Immortal
For a start that game was played on neutral territory, midweek, with both clubs' sets of supporters having to endure immeasurable heartache over the past month. An A-League game would be the last thing on their minds. The fact that anyone at all showed up is a miracle. To use this game as a basis for your argument that the A-League is in turmoil, and therefore of no threat to League, is negligent.

Don't know if you watched any of last month's Asian Cup (you should have since you claim to follow the Socceroos) but our best player came from the A-League - Matt McKay. And guys like Marcos Flores, Archie Thompson, and Carlos Hernandez - are they all over the hill?

Don't forget that at a grassroots level, Soccer has the numbers on League. And it wasn't that long ago, post-Super League in fact, that League clubs were consistently drawing four figure crowds to games, and now look where we are - breaking attendance records year after year. Soccer in this country too went through a tumultuous Super League-type event with the disbanding of the NSL in 2004, so who's to say that in 10 years from now the A-League won't be averaging around the 17,000 that League does now?

The A-League may not be posing any threat to League at the moment but to dismiss any long-term threat outright is moronic.

hahaha...NSL was sh*t. A League is sh*t. Neither ever have or ever will challenge NRL, AFL, or even the Super 14-16 however many they have these days.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Gotta say, this was a pointless bump. Not much irony in it at all other then having a dig at Soccer. Not that I care but still, its fun to see trolls getting silenced, even if it is 5 years later.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Its only like a religion to football fans, Leeds Rhinos is my religion, believe it or not there are people in Europe who don't give a rats arse about football!
I live in Newcastle in England and can not stand Football(Soccer) as thats what all people talk about yet the Toon Army have won f**k all since the 1950's.
It gets rammed down your gob 24/7 on Tyneside(and ian not talking about the wife,this time).

PaulyTom

Juniors
A-League is sadly dying slowly in this country. Unsustainable structure and run by people who have no idea about building football culture. Fans are turning away from the A-league in their droves. The league average is now under 8,300 per game. I'm predicting next year the crowds will be at NSL levels.

Rugby League however is going from strength to strength.

docbrown

Coach
I see that Tinkler's changing the Jets colours to red and blue.

"Wow! Look at all that red and blue around Newcastle! Soccer must be massive!"

Lambretta

First Grade
Its only like a religion to football fans, Leeds Rhinos is my religion, believe it or not there are people in Europe who don't give a rats arse about football!

Get another 30,000 of your mates together and you could have a decent crowd there in Holland

How about the Eindhoven Elephants in Euro Super League?

It's a winner :)

Welcome to LU mate

Dragon

Coach

Didnt even know of this till i saw your post, and the new kits look pretty damn good. Tinkler is a clever boy

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Ayyyyyyyyyyyye league is going from strength to strength, looks like the great sleeping giant of Australian sport has gone back to bed. Maybe to be awakened if we make the World Cup.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Apparently their hardcore fans aren't amused as they think it makes them a subsidary of the Knights, talk about being insecure. I follow what idiots like craig foster say on twitter just to catch them bull****ing and they are all peeved at it.

Loudstrat

Coach
The problem with Soccer (football is what Sterlo used to kick around Cumberland!) is that it's world cup is the bodgeyest thing on the planet. It's more corrupt than George Freeman with a large suitcase at Rosehill.

And we are always on the bad end of that corruption.

The other problem with soccer is that it makes AFL look half decent at times. Sad, because it's a very good game considering the only nations that are very good at it either cannot afford or refuse to use water for personal hygene.

Loudstrat

Coach
For a start that game was played on neutral territory, midweek, with both clubs' sets of supporters having to endure immeasurable heartache over the past month. An A-League game would be the last thing on their minds. The fact that anyone at all showed up is a miracle. To use this game as a basis for your argument that the A-League is in turmoil, and therefore of no threat to League, is negligent.

Don't know if you watched any of last month's Asian Cup (you should have since you claim to follow the Socceroos) but our best player came from the A-League - Matt McKay. And guys like Marcos Flores, Archie Thompson, and Carlos Hernandez - are they all over the hill?

Don't forget that at a grassroots level, Soccer has the numbers on League. And it wasn't that long ago, post-Super League in fact, that League clubs were consistently drawing four figure crowds to games, and now look where we are - breaking attendance records year after year. Soccer in this country too went through a tumultuous Super League-type event with the disbanding of the NSL in 2004, so who's to say that in 10 years from now the A-League won't be averaging around the 17,000 that League does now?

The A-League may not be posing any threat to League at the moment but to dismiss any long-term threat outright is moronic.
Long term - 50 years, maybe.

But what is REALLY moronic is yet another in a long and tedious line of stupid twats predicting the NRL's demise. FFS we have given our competitors Traitor League, salary cap cheats, drug cheats, rape allegations, match fixing allegations, crapping in shoes allegations, crapping in pot plant allegations, pissing on croupier allegations, pissing on walls allegations and even Canterbury winning premierships.

And we still flog everyone in the ratings.

Go figure!

DutchRhino

Juniors
Get another 30,000 of your mates together and you could have a decent crowd there in Holland

How about the Eindhoven Elephants in Euro Super League?

It's a winner :)

Welcome to LU mate

I come from Nijmegen so what about the Nijmegen Nemesis?

Thanks for the welcome been reading here for a while but thought I would start giving some input,need to be careful though its a tough playground!

Jason Maher

Immortal
I'll make a bold statement and suggest that the Premier League has a much bigger following in this country than the A-League. La Liga, Bundesliga, and Serie A probably do too. I know I watch every Manchester United game almost as religiously as I do the Dragons. I watch Sydney FC if nothing else is on.

Goddo

Bench
soccer > AFL. At least soccer is a sensible game. AFL is a mess.

+1. AFL seems to have no rules or structure whatsoever.

And the rules they do have are loopy - everyone gets a point for trying, you can pass with your hands so long as you practice your gerbal fisting moves on the ball, you can run over the sideline so long as you do a spaz impersonation and "hold" the ball in.

At least soccer is structured, has clearly defined rules and requires ball control.

AFL is the most rediculous "sport" in the world

Latest posts