What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL launches touch football premiership

Stallion

First Grade
It’s taken the nrl decades to finally decide to partner with touch. Union are just more proactive in most other countries than league will ever be.

Agree with PR in this. When you are aware that your product(union) is superceded by a "rebel" version(league) and you can't envelop or acquire the improved version you go about limiting and trying to eliminate the much improved version. Especially when you have the connections and power to do so. That is what the sly dogs of union have and are doing.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
It’s taken the nrl decades to finally decide to partner with touch. Union are just more proactive in most other countries than league will ever be.
Foe decades Touch Football was trying to distance itself from Rugby League and Rugby Union here in Australia, Hence changing the name to Touch. This policy was reversed a number of years ago, this was when Touch went back to being called Touch Football, Rugby League didn't have the opportunity to partner with touch football until recently.

Touch Football was being played as curtain raisers for Rugby League matches back in the 70's.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Foe decades Touch Football was trying to distance itself from Rugby League and Rugby Union here in Australia, Hence changing the name to Touch. This policy was reversed a number of years ago, this was when Touch went back to being called Touch Football, Rugby League didn't have the opportunity to partner with touch football until recently.

Touch Football was being played as curtain raisers for Rugby League matches back in the 70's.

I’m pretty sure the millions of $’s the nrl has paid touch has had a lot to do with their Change of heart!

Stallion

First Grade

I met the Touch footy president during a footy trip away. We got chatting and he told me z touch football approach the ARL in 1996 to affiliate and the ARL knocked them back!

unforgiven

Bench
I met the Touch footy president during a footy trip away. We got chatting and he told me z touch football approach the ARL in 1996 to affiliate and the ARL knocked them back!

^Yep in the middle of the Super League war, the ARL couldn't afford to take on touch at the time.

It's also the point touch football started to distance itself from Rugby League.

T-Boon

Coach
Foe decades Touch Football was trying to distance itself from Rugby League and Rugby Union here in Australia,

It was a smart move on the part of Touch. It became a casual fun park game then built up the elite levels. Now hopefully they can get it to the point where at the top level they can make some money out of it.

Stallion

First Grade
It was a smart move on the part of Touch. It became a casual fun park game then built up the elite levels. Now hopefully they can get it to the point where at the top level they can make some money out of it.

Or it was a dumb move by rugby-league over two decades ago. And now the code has to pay for its relevance and development.

T-Boon

Coach
Or it was a dumb move by rugby-league over two decades ago. And now the code has to pay for its relevance and development.

Well yeah, but on the positive side I think Touch has scooped up a lot of participants that would not have gotten on board if it was closely associated with NRL. For example Touch is pretty big in Victoria. I feel like we got them on board by stealth.

Stallion

First Grade
Well yeah, but on the positive side I think Touch has scooped up a lot of participants that would not have gotten on board if it was closely associated with NRL. For example Touch is pretty big in Victoria. I feel like we got them on board by stealth.

I see what you are getting at. So the NRL has put up a poor/defeatist image(over recent times) that neutral sports fans question and stay clear of?

unforgiven

Bench
Agree 100% it was a dumb decision, but there were a lot of dumb decisions in 95, 96, 97. We are still paying for those decisions today. The crowd at ANZ tonight is a direct result of the wasted $ our game threw away during the Super League war.

Stallion

First Grade
Agree 100% it was a dumb decision, but there were a lot of dumb decisions in 95, 96, 97. We are still paying for those decisions today. The crowd at ANZ tonight is a direct result of the wasted $ our game through away during the Super League war.

It makes you wonder about the incompetence within the code. It seems to be a hallmark for the code? The sitting on hands and lack of vision dominates the past two decades. Before that it was bedlam courtesy of disunity. Such a shame for a magnificent code that is truly hidden on the world stage to an extent it has to "beg" for status as an internationally recognised sport with big brother union doing its level best to keep RL down and contained in so many ways.

unforgiven

Bench
It makes you wonder about the incompetence within the code. It seems to be a hallmark for the code? The sitting on hands and lack of vision dominates the past two decades. Before that it was bedlam courtesy of disunity. Such a shame for a magnificent code that is truly hidden on the world stage to an extent it has to "beg" for status as an internationally recognised sport with big brother union doing its level best to keep RL down and contained in so many ways.

The similarities between league and union make this difficult though, I could probably argue a case for Union preventing League's recognition, and that is without the bribes in sure Union paid the decision makers.

Vision is something League is vary of, it developed from vision and then the last "vision" it had tore the game apart.